hipinion vegans

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby theta » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:45 am

all of vegan richa’s chickpea flour “egg” dishes (frittata, quiche, omelet etc) call for kala namak/indian black salt to give them an eggy flavor. they’re all really good without it, but i finally bought some and made an “omelet” and it was next level. def recommend
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
gothical storm
theta

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Hal Jordan wrote:
theta wrote:
Ides of Smarch wrote:Any tips for making some good seitan from gluten? I'm on the edge of making some perfect chicken style seitan, tastewise, but still kind of lost on getting the right mouthfeel. Too spongy, but not rubbery. Just way more porous than any store bought stuff I've ever had.

here's miyoko's recipe

“breast” of unchicken

No feather plucking necessary with these tender creatures, but you’ll still get the same crispy skin. These beautiful “breasts” are easy to whip up and play nicely in everything from scaloppine to parmigiana to Chinese UnChicken salad to good ol’ fried UnChicken. If you make them thin enough, you can even stuff them with some fancy rice filling, roll them up, sauce them, and impress all your guests. Make a good amount of this, enjoy some today, and then tuck the rest away in the freezer for another meal or two. They can be made with or without “skin.”

FOR THE “BREASTS”
1 pound regular, medium, or medium-firm tofu (do not use silken, firm, or extra firm)
1 cup water
½ cup canola, safflower, sunflower, or other neutral oil or less (optional)
5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons onion powder
4 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons sea salt
3 to 3½ cups wheat gluten (reduce gluten by ¼ cup if oil is omitted)
Oil, for cooking
4 to 6 cups water
1 tablespoon soy sauce

FOR THE “SKIN” (OPTIONAL)
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 sheets fresh, frozen, or dried Fresh Yuba or store-bought yuba

To make the “breasts,” put the tofu, water, oil (adds richer flavor), nutritional yeast, seasonings, and salt in a food processor and process until creamy and smooth. Add 3 cups of the wheat gluten and continue to process until a ball forms in the center. If you like your “meat” a little firmer, add an extra ½ cup of gluten. These are designed to be tender. Put the mixture on a clean surface and roll it into a 3-inch-thick log. Slice the log into twelve slices. Now, pat each slice with the palm of your hand until it is 5 or 6 inches long and 3 inches wide.
Heat a little oil in a deep skillet or chef’s pan (nonstick works well for this) and cook the patties over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side, until crispy and brown. If you have a really large skillet, you might be able to do this all at once; otherwise, sauté them in batches. When they are all nicely browned on both sides, put them all back in the pan (if you have cooked them in batches), and pour the water (add enough to cover the patties) and soy sauce over them. Cover the pan and simmer for about 30 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed. Remove the “breasts” from the pan and let cool. They will seem quite soft but will firm up as they cool. At this point, they are “skinless” and can be used in vegan chicken salads or whatever else you prefer.
To dress them up with a succulent and crispy “skin,” you will wrap up the breasts in seasoned sheets of yuba. First, preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, make the marinade by combining the oil, wine, nutritional yeast, seasoning, and salt in a bowl. Have a pastry brush ready to go. Now, depending on the type of yuba you’re using, you may have to do a quick presoak. If you’re using fresh yuba, you can skip this step. Otherwise, take your sheets of frozen or dry yuba and soak them in a pan of cold water for 2 to 10 minutes, until soft, pliable, and lighter in color. It’s a good idea to work quickly, as oversoaking can make them fragile and difficult to handle (frozen yuba will be ready sooner than dry yuba). Take them out a sheet at a time and shake off the water. Cut or tear them into pieces large enough to wrap your “breasts” all around and wrap each piece completely. Brush them all over with the marinade and set on the baking sheet. Wrap and brush all of the pieces with yuba. If you need to do a patchwork of yuba to get a piece covered toward the end, that’s fine. Bake them for about 30 minutes, until the yuba skin is crispy and golden brown. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
MAKES 12 “BREASTS,” OR ABOUT 4 POUNDS

i haven't made them but i have made her seitan unpork and unpepperoni and both were excellent. i had previously been making seitan using isa chandra's method (which includes boiling) and miyoko's is far superior.

Ima try this over xmas break...

so the skinless version is suuuuper easy and suuuper good. the texture is denser and less bready than seitan without the tofu. the food processor process makes it way quicker and less messy than hand mixing and kneading. the flavor is great and subtle, so it can be used in recipes.

i will definitely throw it in the mix as a regular recipe.

got yuba and will try it making it with "skin" in the next couple days.
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby dada » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:35 pm

:awful:
Last edited by dada on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dada

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Canada's new Food Guide is out and it's pretty woke: https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/

50% of meals plant-based, water as a recommended go-to drink, red meat and dairy pushed way down, plant-based main protein sources recommended. It's not 100% vegan but it's a huge step forward and will have an impact on hospital, school and prison meal rules, and will impact the next generation of parents.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

an otter uh otter uh otter uh o

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Back when I was a pup a plate of pasta, some grated cheese and a glass of milk was a guide-acceptable meal.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

The yuba skin was a failure. The yuba i got was way too thick and didnt really "wrap" the patty. Also too dense to take in the marinade. Oh well.
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby bear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm

hi everyone. best vegan restaurants in San Francisco? best if you're dragging along a meat lover?
bear
good bear

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:20 pm

congrats to hal on finally making a post in here without mentioning seitan
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby sadville » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:36 am

theta wrote:all of vegan richa’s chickpea flour “egg” dishes (frittata, quiche, omelet etc) call for kala namak/indian black salt to give them an eggy flavor. they’re all really good without it, but i finally bought some and made an “omelet” and it was next level. def recommend

vegan richa gets credit for teaching me more about cooking than any single other source <3

everyone buy her cookbooks!
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby sadville » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 am

so my pals got me this for xmas and it's real pleasant

i made the seitan stroganoff from this tonight and it was on point
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby theta » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:09 am

Ides of Smarch wrote:i found some cheap kala namak at big lots for like 3 bucks a pound and it kicked my tofu scramble game up about 30%

totally worth it if you can find it.

oh wow, can’t wait to put it in a scramble
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
gothical storm
theta

Postby theta » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:11 am

bear wrote:hi everyone. best vegan restaurants in San Francisco? best if you're dragging along a meat lover?

golden era!
gothical storm
theta

Postby theta » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:12 am

and udupi palace
gothical storm
theta

Postby Marza » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:15 pm

i have successfully reversed the direction of the association between chickpeas and my farts. I crack open a new can and go "phew, this smells like a can of farts"

Marza

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Seen a few products recently that said "plant based" on their packaging but they weren't vegan, one even had milkfat listed in the ingredients. There's likely no regulation on the term and companies will keep using it as a selling point. Check the ingredients.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 pm

yeah, I once got fooled by a dairy-free cheese in the vegan cheese section that still somehow had dairy in it and I wanted to throw a molotov into their factory

edit: it was this stuff: http://www.goveggiefoods.com/products/s ... ee/cheddar the bastards even sell vegan versions but i ain't touchin your shit now, galaxy nutritional foods,inc
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:04 pm

that particular brand has been discussed in this thread more than once. buying it by accident is a rite of passage for new vegans

ahungbunny

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:32 pm

i liked "plant based," thought saying it was being respectful to actual vegans by not claiming to be one since you're only doing the diet and not things like clothing, buying from companies that test on animals, having furniture/things with animal parts, etc.

there are people usually newer converts that are fully vegan but choose to say plant based because they've seen the word vegan get met with contempt by others and they dont want to bother with that

there's also vegans who eat strictly a whole foods plant based diet and use the term because they want to differentiate themselves from vegans who eat fake meats and cheeses

but these days "plant based" is just being exoloited for marketing by companies the same way "all natural" was, no regulation and doesn't actually mean what most people think it does
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:50 pm

my vegan boots are dying after two winters, one winter more than most boots I've bought. What should I get?

edit: maybe I'll just get some hiking style ones instead since I mostly want them for outdoor use anyway. A little less fashionable but probably better for trudging around in the snow and salt.

https://www.avesuveganshoes.com/vegan-hiking-boots-ahimsa-jeffrey-brown-com.html?___SID=U
lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:03 pm

no
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:03 pm

they look fine to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:40 pm

as someone who hasn't eaten meat in 4 years I'm going to have to greatly disagree with that article.
lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:11 pm

make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 pm

pretty nutty that ben and jerry's has 11 non dairy flavors, there's 4 i haven't tried

https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/non-dairy
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby tarantula » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:45 am

hey brou,

would you mind laying down some vegan wisdom on yr diet for weight loss while maintaining muscle

tarantula

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:51 pm

Hey ranch,

Yeah, I'm doing a weight cut right now. I try to eat two big nutrient
dense but not high calorie meals. I usually eat between noon-1 and
then again between 7-8. the meals are usually something with
protein(tempeh, black beans, tofu, lentils), a ton of veggies, and
some rice or quinoa. I find that all that keeps me feeling full for a
good while. I also keep some almonds and pumpkin seeds in the car if I
need to snack on something in between. I also was drinking too many
juices and sweetened iced teas, so now I just drink water.

I bulked up a little too much so I don't care if I drop a few lbs of
muscle. If you're trying to preserve all yours, I'd do a slow
cut where you're only at a slight caloric deficit and mainly weight
train 3-5 days without doing cardio. I'm doing more workouts that
incorporate resistance and cardio to burn a lot of calories. I
recently posted a couple of them in our workout thread.

So basically I'm doing a mix of intermittent fasting/high physical
activity/caloric deficit. I'm happy I don't have to do really low carbs, that'd be miserable on a veg diet
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby cud nylon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Publix got in two so delicious ice creams with oatmilk. Pb&(rasp)J and Apple crumble. Also now selling the beyond sausages as well. Stuck some cashew queso dips in the produce dressing/salsa section. Suggested they move it to the vegan section for visibility and they shrugged.
cud nylon

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I wanna try that apple crumble one

NadaMoo has some new flavors I also need to check out
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:16 pm

I feel like they’ve expanded vegan options in the fresh food area and in the grocery store

I was there a week ago and they had this really good vegan rusted Brussels sprouts pizza in the hot pizza area

Maybe your WF just sux

Amblin

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:22 pm

I haven't noticed less vegan products at wf since that and I go to 3 different ones over a dozen times a month, mainly to get a drink or eat

The employees have always done boneheaded mixing up fake meat with regular meat type things. The guys that work in the prepared foods section at the east pasadena store are the most high strung disgruntled employees I've ever seen. Most of them have been there well over 5 years, they hate their job but their hourly pay continually going up over time has made it so they won't quit
make it mild

Brouhaha

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley