Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby an otter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:53 am

yeah, as with everything, going cold turkey never makes a transition easier. most recommend replacing a few things at a time, stick with that until the new habit's formed, then move on to the next. it's a game of breaking old habits and forming new ones. too many changes at once and you risk burning out. you can even start with non-food items first if that's easier.

might be a hot take and i ain't shittin on you obviously, but: it's good to keep in mind the ultimate goal with it shouldn't be to find mirror replacements to your current faves. science isn't there yet, lab meat's still on the horizon. it should be about finding new faves that you can enjoy as much. if you can't be happy as a vegan because you can't find that perfect [vegan] steak, i might argue you're approaching the issue from the wrong angle.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby bear » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm

I guess it depends upon your personality. I find doing stuff cold turkey is easier.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby bear » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Personally, my technique was to find one day of meals I liked eating. I still eat pretty much the same thing everyday except when I eat out. I really never get tired of eating it, because it makes me feel good.
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby Paul » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Brouhaha wrote:
imagine being someone who doesn't cook a lot/ever, that lives somewhere with few if any veg restaurants and all their friends and family are meat eaters. you think that's an easy transition?

hello
Paul

Postby son of chucky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm

i became extremely sensitive to animal welfare basically overnight, so i stopped eating meat last summer. but being omni for 30+ years, it's been a slow transition for me. i'm only pescatarian now. i plan to cut out fish soon but to be honest full vegan is still pretty intimidating to me, even though i know i'll get there sooner than later. this thread is helpful.
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.
son of chucky

Postby messier object » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 pm

hey everybody i found vegan scrapple

it’s really good
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese
messier object

Postby sadville » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:45 pm

One of the best ways to stay on the wagon is to find friends who can help

I guess this thread is like the digital version of that but basically every population center has a vegan pot luck group, and generally vegan folks are pretty welcoming of new people
sadville

Postby conductor » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm

messier object wrote:hey everybody i found vegan scrapple

it’s really good

As an omnivore I've always been curious about the existence/appeal of fake meats, but this might take the cake.
conductor

Postby blab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm

yellow curry fried lentils +veggies just keeps on giving.

i've been eating oatmeal + peanutbutter for breakfast, then curried lentils for lunch, and i feel fantastic and productive.

edit:
although, my gut is still a little bewildered by the several cups of coffee i drink while working. i cut alcohol out of my life recently, a year after cutting out nictone, but reducing my coffee intake has been hard to want to do.
blab

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:50 pm

son of chucky wrote:i became extremely sensitive to animal welfare basically overnight, so i stopped eating meat last summer. but being omni for 30+ years, it's been a slow transition for me. i'm only pescatarian now. i plan to cut out fish soon but to be honest full vegan is still pretty intimidating to me, even though i know i'll get there sooner than later. this thread is helpful.

being full vegan rules and is not so hard once you get the hang of it. good luck!
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm

my parents are getting me afro-vegan by bryant terry for christmas 8-)
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby chimp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:35 pm

son of chucky wrote:i became extremely sensitive to animal welfare basically overnight, so i stopped eating meat last summer. but being omni for 30+ years, it's been a slow transition for me. i'm only pescatarian now. i plan to cut out fish soon but to be honest full vegan is still pretty intimidating to me, even though i know i'll get there sooner than later. this thread is helpful.

this describes me
chimp

Postby chimp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:36 pm

my girlfriend is very weirded out by me now
chimp

Postby blab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

is she supportive though?
blab

Postby chimp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm

blayk wrote:is she supportive though?

she is, just disorientated since before a few months ago I never really talked about any of this stuff and now it occupies a lot of my thoughts
chimp

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm

dude i was raised southern baptist by people who had literally never met a vegetarian in their life. it was a very slow process for me and i didn't know what I was doing, but i went veg at 27 and vegan at 30 and it's been great since. good luck bud, you can do it
ahungbunny

Postby Vegetable » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 am

blayk wrote:yellow curry fried lentils +veggies

Got a recipe for yellow curry fried lentils?
Vegetable

Postby Autarch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:13 am

Mister E wrote:Threw a few things together yesterday and it ended up being one of my favorite meals I’ve ever made:

having this combo right now and it is good. Thanks for the rec.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:31 pm

make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby an otter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah, lots of high-end brands seem to be following Calvin Klein's lead. Gucci did the same but they still fuccin with exotic leather, though, so the fight ain't over.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Autarch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:01 am

Mister E wrote:I’ve made it twice now and it’s definitely better making everything separately and then pouring the curry over it, but still really good if you don’t want to dirty a lot of dishes and mix it all together too (cook meatballs separately still).

i didn't have any meatballs. maybe i'll try it with trader joe's meatless meatballs (which are delicious) tomorrow
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby an otter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:52 am

http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view/be ... nd-sausage

Beyond Meat Unveils the Missing Link: Beyond Sausage
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Anyone cooking anything as an entree for themselves or family for Christmas? My whole family, wife and kids are meat eaters so I'm thinking of making this for myself.
Obviously along with tons of vegetable sides.

https://www.veganricha.com/recipe-pages ... uinoa-loaf
beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Autarch » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 pm

an otter wrote:http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view/be ... nd-sausage

Beyond Meat Unveils the Missing Link: Beyond Sausage

I saw this a few days ago and got super psyched because I love to tailgate at baseball games and sausage is one of the tastiest meats imo, so this could be a game changer for me.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby theta » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:10 pm

made this for dinner tonight and it's so good!

Butternut Squash & Coconut Curry
https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-butternu-15729

Butternut Squash & Coconut Curry
Serves 4-6
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 medium (roughly 2 1/2 pound) butternut squash
3 tablespoons cooking oil, such as grapeseed or peanut oil
1 large shallot, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1/2-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 jalapeño chile, chopped (seeds optional, for extra heat)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional, for extra heat)
2 small, dried red chilies (optional, for extra heat)
1 Balinese Long Pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Cilantro, for garnish
Cooked rice, to serve

In a small, dry skillet over medium heat, toast the coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds. Once cool, grind the toasted spices in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.

Meanwhile, peel and dice the squash into bite-sized pieces. You should have about 5-6 cups of squash.

Warm the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and translucent. Add the chile, turmeric, cayenne (if using), small dried red chiles (if using), Balinese Long Pepper (if using), and the ground toasted spices. Stir to release fragrance, cooking for 2-3 minutes.

Add the squash, tamarind paste, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 45 minutes until squash is tender and just beginning to break down. The squash will thicken the curry as it cooks down. If you want an extra-thick and creamy curry, puree a cup or two of the squash with an immersion blender and mix it back into the curry.

Garnish each plate with sprigs of cilantro and serve with cooked rice.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby Flossed Out » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:14 pm

I've done veg before and I think I am going to try to go full vegan. Any time I stop and think about it I feel like such a hypocrite for loving animals and still eating them. This thread is very inspiring and I'm going to dig through it for recipes.
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 am

I don't even really like animals and I don't want to eat them
palmer eldritch

Postby sadville » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am

i made a cauliflower roast

stolen from https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/ ... er-skillet

it is insanely good but super rich. not something you can eat a whole lot of but holy moly it is good. i made it for thanksgiving, too.
sadville

Postby sadville » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am

yeah it would help if i ever bothered to take pictures of things
sadville

Postby pablito » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:57 am

that looks so good
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....