Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby trigross » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Yum. That on top of minimalist baker's minestrone to make a lil soup au pistou would be sick.
trigross
our chow yun-fat

Postby came to wreck » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:14 am

thanks for that pesto recipe!
came to wreck

Postby rich uncle skeleton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:22 am

Lotta good stuff happening on this page. I would say about 90% of our recipes in the past 4 months have come from minimalist baker
rich uncle skeleton

Postby Brouhaha » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:19 am

Carl’s Jr. partnered with vegan meat company Beyond Meat to launch a Beyond Burger menu option at more than 1,000 locations nationwide

this was posted then removed on vegnews
Last edited by Brouhaha on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild

Yeah the roarin’ 20s! Everybody’s fuckin’ and suckin’ in the speak-easies and shit.
Brouhaha

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:23 am

rich uncle skeleton wrote:Lotta good stuff happening on this page. I would say about 90% of our recipes in the past 4 months have come from minimalist baker

She’s the best
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby fuckyoudad » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:29 am

Where tha fucc do I find yuba
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby Autarch » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:50 am

Had the cousins and aunt and uncle over for dinner last night. They all had steak and are a big meat-eating family (other than my aunt who doesn't eat red meat). I had a trader Joe's vegan holiday roast. My uncle was teasing about the fake meat. I don't mind; we make fun of each other about things in my family. My aunt asked if she could try some of the vegan stuff and I was like "of course, have as much as you want" so she tried some and she loved it. Then the cousins all asked if they could try some too, and they all liked it too, much to my uncle's chagrin. He refused to try any. At the end of the night, my aunt asked if she could take some of the vegan roast home with her. It made me so happy.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby ahungbunny » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:25 am

that rules friend, nice work
ahungbunny

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:46 am

fuckyoudad wrote:Where tha fucc do I find yuba

Yeah no shit, normal grocer didnt have it, supposedly its at whole foods but i didnt see it there. Going to try the local asian market, and if still nothing, make it sans skin
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby theta » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:46 pm

oh here's the yuba recipe from the book

fresh yuba (tofu skin)
What exactly is yuba, you might be thinking (I get this question a lot!). Simply put, it’s the skin that forms on soy milk when it’s heated, just like the skin that formed on milk when you made hot chocolate way back when. What can you do with it? For one, it forms the succulent, crispy skin that wraps around the “Breast” of UnChicken, and it makes a quick, easy bacon as well. You can also slice it into noodle-size strips and stir-fry with vegetables or add to soup. I am lucky enough to live in an area where I can buy it fresh, frozen, or dried, but I’ve included the recipe for those who live where it is not so readily available. Although it’s easy enough to make, it requires hanging around the stove while your soy milk forms skins to be removed and dried—over and over again—so it’s best to do when you have something else to be doing there as well.
4 cups soy milk, either homemade or store-bought
Pour the soy milk into a wide saucepan or deep skillet. The size of the skin will be the size of the pan you use, so choose your pot accordingly. For “Breast” of UnChicken, an 8-inch-diameter pot will be adequate, while a deep, 12-inch-diameter skillet will work for just about anything.
Turn the heat to medium and bring to just below a simmer—bubbles should be barely visible. After a couple of minutes, a skin will start to form. When the skin has formed all the way to the perimeter of the pan, take a sharp knife and run it along the edge to loosen it from the pan. Then insert a chopstick or dowel under the middle of the skin along the diameter and lift the skin off. Place on a baking sheet and unroll it so that it is open. Repeat this technique, stacking the yuba, until all of the milk has been used up.
To store the yuba, put it in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for several days or freeze for up to 1 year.
MAKES ABOUT 4 OUNCES
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby theta » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:48 pm

i'm making these char siu buns today and they're shaping up to be pretty delicious
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby CudNylon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Vegan Christmas lunch for my family turned out great. Gardien cutlets with a better than bouillon/corn starch slurry added to the packaged gravy, annie’s Mac and cheeze with panko crust, minimalist baker’s green bean casserole, and kenji’s roasted sweet potatoes with agave. My grandma’s first vegan meal and it was all raves even though it was thrown together and half homemade. Next time I’ll go all out since today was a hit.
CudNylon

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:09 pm

make it mild

Yeah the roarin’ 20s! Everybody’s fuckin’ and suckin’ in the speak-easies and shit.
Brouhaha

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 pm

i guessed quorn, was wrong
ahungbunny

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:00 pm

morningstar needs to follow
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm

I’ve always liked their vegan chicken patty
Amblin

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 pm

Brouhaha wrote:
Carl’s Jr. partnered with vegan meat company Beyond Meat to launch a Beyond Burger menu option at more than 1,000 locations nationwide

this was posted then removed on vegnews

The vegan Beyond Burger will be available in more than 1,000 Carl's Jr. outlets across the US from January 2.

It will be part of a sandwich called The Beyond Famous Star burger ( $6.29) - a veggie version of the brand's flagship Famous Star.

The patty is part of a build featuring cheese, lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, dill pickle, special sauce, and mayonnaise. If ordered without the cheese, sauce, and mayo, the sandwich is suitable for vegans.

Edit - some say the sauce is animal free
Last edited by Brouhaha on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby came to wreck » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:13 pm

really wish impossible meat could get sold in stores
came to wreck

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Already in the works for 2019
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm

For years I've eaten at the Veggie Grill and been constantly disappointed, especially whenever I tried their new seasonal items. But yesterday I ordered their new banh mi salad and had them make it as a wrap instead and got the sauce on the side and it was the best thing I've ever had there.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

mendocino farms has a really good vegan banh mi sandwich

also i think i'm gonna go to carl's jr for the first time in forever tonight
Amblin

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Amblin wrote:mendocino farms has a really good vegan banh mi sandwich

Yeah it's not bad, none of the 3 current vegan sandwiches there really fill me up though. There's the one you mentioned, a tempeh one, and a falafel wrap. The wrap is probably the most filling of the 3.

Try my veg grill hack

I had an impossible burger at doghaus yesterday and i thought they'd mistakenly given me a slider(also on the menu), but no it's just that small
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 pm

did you go to monty's yet
Amblin

Postby Amblin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:03 pm

also the vegan sides at mondocino are good and I get full when pairing those up

i really dig the curry couscous and have made it at home a bunch
Amblin

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 pm

haven't been to monty's, i seldom leave the sgv these days.

mendo's sides are alright but you're already paying $11 for the sandwich, sides i think are around $4 and when you tip the staff a couple of bucks, it's around $17, that's way too much for a casual dining establishment. should include a side like veg grill and other places

not sure on this Carl's JR thing either, are these employees who probably already hate working there going to cook them in a different part of the grill? Probably not, especially in the beginning, the thought of meat grease and pieces mixed in is pretty gross
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Jouster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Amblin wrote:also the vegan sides at mondocino are good and I get full when pairing those up

Would love a recipe for that if you've got one, I get that couscous every time.
Jouster

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 pm

Was just in Highland Park and saw that there was no line for Cena Vegan, usually it's around the block but I guess everyone is staying indoors right now since it's so cold out. I'd eaten there a couple of times well over a year ago but I just had tacos and thought it wasn't really my thing because it tasted too much like real meat. Anyways, I got a burrito for $8 and the thing was fucking massive, felt like 3lbs, had to really put in an effort to finish it and I can typically put away a lot of food pretty easily. I still wasn't too into the mock meat but the rest tasted pretty good

They now have 5 different mock meats, i went with the chicken equivalent. They even have a product line of their meats in a few select stores
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:23 am

Brouhaha wrote:
not sure on this Carl's JR thing either, are these employees who probably already hate working there going to cook them in a different part of the grill? Probably not, especially in the beginning, the thought of meat grease and pieces mixed in is pretty gross

Thought the same when I heard about White Castle but they supposedly have a dedicated grill.
beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby SonicBoom » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 am

Though I went with my veg friend to a local pizza place that does bar pies in pork fat pans (but doesn't advertise that fact). I won't tell him, but we won't go there again. I wouldn't have know this if I didn't live literally across the street and still see my former roommate.
SonicBoom

Postby Amblin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 am

Jouster wrote:
Amblin wrote:also the vegan sides at mondocino are good and I get full when pairing those up

Would love a recipe for that if you've got one, I get that couscous every time.

Yeah this one is the exact thing and the one I used

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/05/food/la-fo-sos-curried-couscous-20140405
Amblin

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....