You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:37 am

make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 am

i have never liked the taste of beef so i don't care about all these burgers. i wish tofu and tempeh would be more mainstream.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 am

i'm hungover af and all i want is a vegan breakfast sandwich but there is no way to order such a thing to be delivered here
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby an otter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

virtuous pie recently opened up a pizza joint in town, where previously apiecalypse now! was the only real all-vegan pizza game in town. it seems to've shook them up, cause apiecalypse has been firing out new pizzas and promos since. i fully support both, but a little competition has made toronto's pie market more fun
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby an otter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:54 am

look at this thing:

ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby mascotte » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am

I'm going vege to save the earth. Seriously. I love meat, but I just can't support industrial farming anymore. Animals are cool, I don't want to eat them. My wife supports me 100% and she gives up meat with me. Having my last chicken tandoori tonight. Wish me good luck.
mascotte

Postby an otter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:05 pm

nothin but admiration from us, mascotte, good luck
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby an otter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:07 pm

just remember that you're gonna make mistakes, give up and cheat occasionally at first. no vegans seem to talk about how hard it is to give up a habit we've had all our lives. you wont be a very good vegan for a while, but it gets easier all the time. after a while you wont even think about it.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:07 pm

fuck yeah mascotte
theta

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:14 pm

people that go vegan from a conventional omni diet are braver than the marines
theta

Postby Marza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 pm

mascotte wrote:I'm going vege to save the earth. Seriously. I love meat, but I just can't support industrial farming anymore. Animals are cool, I don't want to eat them. My wife supports me 100% and she gives up meat with me. Having my last chicken tandoori tonight. Wish me good luck.

respect.

all I can say is it becomes second nature after a while. enjoy your super powers.
Marza

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

an otter wrote:just remember that you're gonna make mistakes, give up and cheat occasionally at first. no vegans seem to talk about how hard it is to give up a habit we've had all our lives. you wont be a very good vegan for a while, but it gets easier all the time. after a while you wont even think about it.

good advice.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm

theta wrote:i have never liked the taste of beef so i don't care about all these burgers. i wish tofu and tempeh would be more mainstream.

same

but i do think meat eaters embracing them is helping the cause a lot
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:24 pm

seconding every thing said on this page. that's super sick madcotte

and i would give anything for easily accessible take-out vegan breakfast sandwiches, my #1 pet peeve about rva
ahungbunny

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm

what the hell is a vegan breakfast sandwich?
like a mock mcsausage?

just make a tofu scramble burrito, takes like 6 min
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 pm

I think beef tastes good and I haven’t eaten any of the real stuff in 15 years
Amblin

Postby Amblin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I also prefer breakfast burrito over breakfast sandwich
Amblin

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm

breakfast burritos are delicious too but i was craving like a faux egg patty with melty cheese on a biscuit or something. there's a place here that does really good ones but i'm too hungover to want to get on the bus.
theta

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:02 pm

a lot of outlets picked up the beyonce vegan story and many people on twitter responded with comments like "are you going to pay for it" or "cant afford to." lots of people still see this diet as one of privilege and prices at restaurants and most vegan products aren't helping things. it's really cheap to buy veggies and legumes and cook yourself but a lot of people won't do that.

if beyonce cant convince her fans, what chance does anyone else have? I'm sure she's converted a fair amount though or at least got them to try it

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/a25731749/beyonce-and-jay-zs-vegan-diet/
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby mascotte » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Thanks guys. I recently sticked to fish and chickens, had pork about once a week and beef every other month, so this is a gradual thing to me. I can cook, I love it. I can do it. I know that. even if I'll fry some bacon during my first year :ahuh:

I'm really proud of myself that I reached that point when eating meat brought shame and sense of guilt. I've been really sarcastic towards vegetarians all my life, you know, I've been into food culture for a while, where meat is a fetish and plenty of cooks loathe vegetarians. never thought it was gonna happen to me, but I really, really changed my attitude towards all living creatures (I admit I hate some insects though). plus, the earth is literally dying. eating meat will not save it. giving it up is not much. gonna check this thread more often now. cheers!
mascotte

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

that's true of a lot of cooks/chefs/foodies, glad ramsay seems to be coming around on the idea. bourdain was a real jerk when it came to the idea of eating/going vegan

https://www.livekindly.co/chefs-jamie-oliver-gordon-ramsay-race-launch-most-vegan-recipes-january/
Last edited by Brouhaha on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Brouhaha wrote:a lot of outlets picked up the beyonce vegan story and many people on twitter responded with comments like "are you going to pay for it" or "cant afford to." lots of people still see this diet as one of privilege and prices at restaurants and most vegan products aren't helping things. it's really cheap to buy veggies and legumes and cook yourself but a lot of people won't do that.

if beyonce cant convince her fans, what chance does anyone else have? I'm sure she's converted a fair amount though or at least got them to try it

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/a25731749/beyonce-and-jay-zs-vegan-diet/

i mean, i don't really think that's an incorrect assessment. there's so many things that go into that. having the time, skills and equipment to cook. having convenient access to stores that actually sell veggies and legumes. government subsidies that go to animal agriculture and make its byproducts artificially cheap.

i don't really know what the average person can do about the subsidy situation but supporting local organizations that are involved with making affordable fresh food available in food deserts would probably help change people's perceptions somewhat.
theta

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm

which market doesn't sell veggies and legumes?

i use the most basic cooking equipment that's in pretty much every household
Last edited by Brouhaha on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

corner stores/bodegas, dollar stores, convenience stores
theta

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 pm

I watch a lot of Ramsay’s cooking competitions. He usually shit on contestants that are vegan. He usually is baffled of how they can possibly compete.
beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:32 pm

theta wrote:corner stores/bodegas, dollar stores, convenience stores

right but mostly every city has an actual grocery store too
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 pm

also the 99 cents only chain sells a good amount of veggies and legumes
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Amblin » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:39 pm

99 cent store had just brand cookie dough this week
Amblin

Postby theta » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 pm

i mean, i totally agree with you. being vegan is cheaper than an omni diet if you cook veggies and legumes at home. i'm just saying that for a lot of people, there's a whole constellation of habits and beliefs influenced by income, class, and location that feed into perceiving vegan food as too expensive.
theta

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm

definitely true, theta

amblin, it's nice when you randomly see vegan products in there, happens somewhat regularly
make it mild
Brouhaha

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....