RIP David Bowie

Let's talk hats

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:12 am

Eyeball Kid wrote:In spite of my banging on about how 90s-era Bowie is underappreciated, I've not given time to reinvestigate Hours, the least-loved album in the man's discography. Will now be the time?

I think I like it better than Black Tie and Buddha of Suburbia. You can find some seeds of what he would do on Heathen and Reality. IIRC some of the alt mixes are pretty decent.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Ill-Advised Webinar » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:07 am

I don't want the entire box set I don't think, if only because it's so expensive. i really want a vinyl copy of outside though. does anyone know if they plan to release them individually at some point as well?

Ill-Advised Webinar

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 pm

The 2000 BBC theatre session in this new box is impeccable
So much class, delicious adult contemporary production choices
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby a is jump » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Toy is really quite good. I never even realized that it had leaked 10 years ago or whatever-- all I had ever heard were the tracks that ended up as b-sides for Heathen. Since Bowie was often redoing the arrangements of his older material to match whatever his current sound was, it's a task he became really skilled at doing. Cool to hear it over an entire album as opposed to just random tracks here and there, especially since his goal was along the lines of "rehabbing" some of his material that wasn't taken as seriously, but that was still really strong. His voice sounds great, the band sounds tight, and the production is good.

I love having a "new" Bowie album to explore again.

a is jump

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:37 pm

Man, I lvoe Black Tie/White Noise with all my heart. His best album since Scary Monsters and his best album of the 90s.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:38 pm

The highs on Outside are very high, though.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:54 pm

Have to say I didn't love the stuff from Toy I heard over the years but I actually forgot this was coming out. That's embarrassing.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby head gardener » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:28 am

There can't be many other record covers that have had such radically different sleeves?

UK Mercury

UK RCA issue

US Mercury

Last edited by head gardener on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

head gardener

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:46 pm

ah im pretty excited about this new set cause I do love all these 90s albums...except for Hours but hey I'll listen to Hours again and see

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:47 pm

and I've never heard any of the Toy stuff so that will be new

palmer eldritch

Postby brent » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:37 pm

i'll be honest, i basically don't know any of the 90's albums, i never listen to them, but i'm gonna give this a whirl

NOT 90's, but i've been obsessed with "win" off young americans lately, what an incredible song that i'd overlooked

brent

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm

brent wrote:i'll be honest, i basically don't know any of the 90's albums, i never listen to them, but i'm gonna give this a whirl

He was still producing vital music during this time, but the critical consensus was he was washed up in the 90s. I used to think that too! But I was wrong.

Eyeball Kid

Postby a is jump » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:17 pm

His run from Black Tie, White Noise through Earthling is about as strong as his 70s run, for me.

A big part of that is probably my nostalgia-based bias, just because that’s the period of time when I was in high school, really getting into Bowie, seeing him live, etc. and those were the current art he was putting out.

a is jump

Postby baleen » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:34 pm

I'm always sticking up for Outside as a legit great album of Bowie's (if a victim of the 90s 'lets fill up a whole CD' trend) and I probably underrate Earthling.
The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:12 pm

baleen wrote:I'm always sticking up for Outside as a legit great album of Bowie's (if a victim of the 90s 'lets fill up a whole CD' trend) and I probably underrate Earthling.

I think the songwriting on Earthling was actually pretty strong, it's just masked a bit by the drum n' bass. Still enjoy half of it (Battle for Britain, 7 years, Little Wonder).

Outside came out right when I was starting to listen to Bowie outside of his greatest hits, and it probably remains my favourite of his post-Scary Monsters albums. Yeah the segues/narrative wears a little thin, but I love the sound on it, and I think the songs are consistently great, even the lesser-known ones like We Prick You.

Also have to shout out the PSB version of Hallo Spaceboy

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:16 pm

I love this tune

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby saranclaps » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:41 pm

Was revisiting one or two outside songs and is the mix slightly less dynamic or am I imagining things?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:22 pm

saranclaps wrote:Was revisiting one or two outside songs and is the mix slightly less dynamic or am I imagining things?

On the box set? I'll take a listen.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:33 pm

saranclaps wrote:Was revisiting one or two outside songs and is the mix slightly less dynamic or am I imagining things?

Just checked Heart's Filthy Lesson and I think the vox are front mixed a bit more.

Hallo Spaceboy seems quite noticeably less dynamic, though could just be confirmation bias on my part.

Edit: I tweeted O'Leary and he thought the same thing.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:14 am

a is jump wrote:His run from Black Tie, White Noise through Earthling is about as strong as his 70s run, for me.

A big part of that is probably my nostalgia-based bias, just because that’s the period of time when I was in high school, really getting into Bowie, seeing him live, etc. and those were the current art he was putting out.

I don't think I checked them out until the last 5 years or so and I think they're really strong albums that could hold against most of the music of the decade

palmer eldritch

Postby Grand Epic » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:14 am

Finally got into Outside and oh shit it’s great

Grand Epic

Postby Actor Jason P » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am

I've said before but all the songs on earthling are great but yeah the production sucks on it so bad

Actor Jason P

Postby baleen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:40 am

Grand Epic wrote:Finally got into Outside and oh shit it’s great

and check this look he wore

The answer is simple: artisanship.

baleen

Postby jewels » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 am

Other than money, I don't understand the point of remastering albums that were mastered for CDs. We already heard them exactly as Bowie intended.

The bonus stuff looks interesting.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:15 pm

the bonus stuff is pretty meh, I don't think there's likely to be any gems unearthed

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm

jewels wrote:Other than money, I don't understand the point of remastering albums that were mastered for CDs. We already heard them exactly as Bowie intended.

Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but the reports upthread that Outside sounds slightly different plus (and I could be misremembering this) I think Eno said in the past he and Bowie occasionally discussed going back and fiddling with Outside some more?

Eyeball Kid

Postby saranclaps » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
jewels wrote:Other than money, I don't understand the point of remastering albums that were mastered for CDs. We already heard them exactly as Bowie intended.

Haven't done a side-by-side comparison but the reports upthread that Outside sounds slightly different plus (and I could be misremembering this) I think Eno said in the past he and Bowie occasionally discussed going back and fiddling with Outside some more?
I inferred this mean outside part ii?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Previous

Return to The Hat Zone