You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby walt whitman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 pm

sarah morris does neat things w walls

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:13 pm

long as we are posting about contemporary art, we might as well post about contemporary curators/exhibitions

some delightful views of Other Primary Structures, 2014, Jewish Museum, curated by Jens Hoffman

walt whitman

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:05 pm

David Altmejd does revolting-but-beautiful well:

Phil

Postby famnexdo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:47 pm

remember working at the ica in boston and having to stand next to this rachel harrison at least 5 hours every day i worked. it ruled!

famnexdo

Postby galactagogue » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm

fam i love that so much !!
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit

galactagogue

Postby walt whitman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:59 pm

anyone else want to live inside the work of mickalene thomas?

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:57 am

digging the post-independence indian artist, nalini malani -

walt whitman

Postby Frippinion » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:19 pm

naturemorte wrote:a grad school acquaintance, adam katseff, is a supremely talented photographer and seeing his prints up close is definitely hair-raising. he does night-long large format exposures in the wilds

I know I'm late to the party, but these are amazing. Very Slinty-vibes.

Frippinion

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:24 pm

man of course the contemporary art thread opens up with dana schutz's bullshit, microwaved sushi paintings

good lord

fatrick

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:25 pm

and mickalene fuckin' thomas on page 11

fatrick

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:26 pm

lol cutting criticism :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Phil

Postby walt whitman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:00 pm

excited for fatrick's contributions to the thread!

walt whitman

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:44 pm

i just can't imagine getting excited about overproduced, splashy daub-baubles for the uber-wealthy

Painting like that is just a well-regulated market of Unique Surface/Perspectival Illusions without any of the deep mystery that makes painting interesting, and they all fall apart once you get closer than 15 feet away (for example, that shitty "nice weather" show that david salle just curated)

like, mickalene thomas' studio is 4 white dudes in glasses printing transparencies on imacs, shoveling oil paint and pasting cheap bangles onto paint-by-numbers sections of aluminum panels, and they all make $12.00 an hour

plus those paintings are seriously hideous to look at

at least most of Dana Schutz's paintings are currently in storage in a warehouse in New Jersey

fatrick

Postby famnexdo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, that Salle show really did make me want to pull my hair out

"And, here's one of mine too!"

famnexdo

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:59 pm

fatrick wrote:Painting like that is just a well-regulated market of Unique Surface/Perspectival Illusions without any of the deep mystery that makes painting interesting, and they all fall apart once you get closer than 15 feet away (for example, that shitty "nice weather" show that david salle just curated)

As someone who spent a considerable amount of time at Schutz's show at Petzel last year trying to figure out how to get even further views because I found the way that the spaces rearranged at distance to be so rich, this is genuinely baffling to me. I honestly don't know what 'deep mystery' looks like if it's not present in that painting of the shower (there's certainly nothing brooding about it though, and it seems like most dismissals of Schutz that I've seen come down to her being insufficiently serious with all the Serious Art Motifs she's dealing with).

And I'll agree that the Schutz in Nice Weather is hardly her best work, though its ugliness is obviously entirely intentional. And the Lucy Dodd in it is so good that I could never call the show shitty (I like the Cecily Brown and Rashid Johnson pieces quite a bit too); the one uptown on the other hand I did think was complete garbage.

Phil

Postby all day breakfast » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm into fatricks vibe here

all day breakfast

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 pm

I think Dana Schutz's paintings, especially that goofy "Cubist Nude Breaks Down in Shower", are sufficiently serious to be Eye-Candy for the Visually Curious in an enormous fucking airplane hangar on west 18th st., but they're given weight by the space, not the other way around

Petzel's massive space mostly sucks for Big, Ambitious Painting, but it's perfect for group shows, sculpture/objects and scaled-down wall work (like, Troy Brauntuch?), because otherwise it basically becomes a vast warehouse of Precious Photoshops for people who can afford to have them hand-painted by 50-year olds that own buildings in Brooklyn

at least Charline von Heyl's paintings are kind of weird and shattered

anyways, I don't really give a shit what a bunch of nerds at eflux or hyperallergic think or whatever, these paintings would absolutely rot in an apartment, sweetly suffocating on their own pastel farts while dreaming of fields of Prozac

fatrick

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:48 pm

Sorry she's not painting for apartments?

And if the only things that you see in that shower piece are 'goofy cubism' and a figure 'breaking down' then I can't imagine any useful conversation to be had here, but by all means, keep complaining about people being too successful. Or I guess go and enjoy the total whiff of a conceptual show that Petzel has up right now.

Phil

Postby galactagogue » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm

:fire emojii:

galactagogue

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:06 pm

not only is she not painting for apartments, she isn't painting for human beings; those paintings are the idiotic children of neurotic technique, and they only have to survive long enough to puzzle the eye of eccentric hedge-funders that live in greenwich

but you're right, i'm definitely not trying to have any useful conversations with an artnet intern

and i think adam mcewan is a doofus

but anyways, maybe i'm just bitter that i get nothing from backing up into a wall while contemplating a Precious Self-Flagellation in Flashe

fatrick

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Calling Schutz 'neurotic' and 'self-flagellating' is really cranking the ressintement up to 11.

:barney:

Phil

Postby vivian darko » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Can someone teach me how to hate things as much as Serious Art Consumers

vivian darko

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 pm

the only time i think about dana schutz's work is whenever I want to put some poindexter with a graduate degree stuffed in his eyesockets into a headlock

is there a scholarly word for that? maybe something in german

fatrick

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:35 pm

vivian darkbloom wrote:Can someone teach me how to hate things as much as Serious Art Consumers

just start making it

fatrick

Postby Phil » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:42 pm

So far you've picked out two women artists to complain about.

Then you dropped some ~shocking~ stab at inside baseball about one of them using assistants.

Then you complained about how the other sells too much, and can't fill a big gallery space, and then you dismissed her as 'precious,' 'neurotic,' and 'self-flagellating.'

Then you talked about putting someone in a headlock.

You've still only managed to give the vaguest hint of anything you think is good.

I guess the thread was really missing the cynical clamoring for a space in a group show in Ridgewood art school dude, so thanks for bringing that perspective to the table.

Phil

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:56 pm

swiiiiiiiing and a miss

i didn't go to art school, i work as an art handler and make artwork (not paintings), so the "inside baseball" thing is basically just "you play baseball"; and you've basically misinterpreted every single one of my complaints about the shitty, overproduced sugar-syrup paintings of dana schutz's most recent show

also, keep your sticky little "MISOGYNIST" stamp away from me you fucking Thesis

fatrick

Postby all day breakfast » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:57 pm

fatrick wrote:artwork (not paintings)

lol

all day breakfast

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:58 pm

i did have a piece in a group show in ridgewood a couple years ago but those guys were my friends and it's sort of a dick move to say no to your friends

fatrick

Postby galactagogue » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:58 pm

yowza.

fatrick, have you gone to see any Schultz in person, im just curious. :tone: sincere.

galactagogue

Postby fatrick » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:59 pm

i mean, most of my friends are painters and i am definitely not a Painter

i don't even like the smell of turpentine

fatrick

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....