Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby walt whitman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:25 pm

:(
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby maraschino cherry » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Oh you’re fine, I didn’t find your response rude! I disagree with the article and feel like proceeding with the show would’ve put a bunch of uncomfy public pressure/scrutiny on these institutions, but who knows really what would’ve happened. I hope your friends are able to unionize <3

maraschino cherry

Postby galactagogue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Phil wrote:That n+1 piece just seems like a lot of words to say "I wish the people who wrote the Rail open letter had expanded on the specifics of 'It means that museums must engage in a reckoning with history, including their own histories of prejudice.'"

yea the problem i think with this is usually that it takes you down a path of basically dismantling the idea of the museum and the people that work in and around it have to reckon with the need/want to preserve something in some way that ultimately fails them time and again
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:15 pm

prob a pretty obv thing to say lol
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:40 am

I'm gonna be going on a fairly thorough gallery crawl tomorrow assuming I probably won't be able to for awhile... what should I check out?

booked an appt for akeem smith's exhibition at red bull academy on my friend's rec... looks like I can't book a slot for theaster gates at gagosian but that's up through 2021

frank auerbach at luhring agustine
george condo at hauser & wirth
donald judd at david zwirner

I really liked emma kohlmann's paintings at jack hanley, so I'm gonna swing by there again before it closes this weekend

gonna hit up JTT, invisible exports, shrine, fuentes

anything else good? I am open
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:27 pm

lol i miss seeing art in person...

teaching post-internet art has had one upside of validating the belief that you dont need to see art in meat-space to participate in the conversation

that said, the local museum has a killer trevor paglen solo show rn and i want to go but covid is enveloping my life right now and i'm too exhausted/shook to risk going into a white cube rn

walt whitman

Postby jph » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm

walt whitman wrote:lol i miss seeing art in person...

teaching post-internet art has had one upside of validating the belief that you dont need to see art in meat-space to participate in the conversation

that said, the local museum has a killer trevor paglen solo show rn and i want to go but covid is enveloping my life right now and i'm too exhausted/shook to risk going into a white cube rn

dude just put on a mask and don't touch anything. i've been to a few exhibitions during quarantine and it's fine

jph

Postby walt whitman » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:18 pm

lol i would but, to make a long story short, we found out my partner has covid a few days ago. i immediately got rapid-tested and it came out negative. but while we wait out the 14 day quarantine i want to minimize my own voyages out into public. im paranoid i might have some delayed covid situation myself :oops:

walt whitman

Postby Parson Floogle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:55 pm

this is one of my favourite Velvet Underground soundalike songs and lyrics suit the thread.

Parson Floogle

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:02 am

great genre
I mean the vu songs that MOVE
not the tomorrow's parties impersonations

My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby walt whitman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:45 pm

this looks legit incredible

walt whitman

Postby hasel » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:39 pm

wow lets all take Jeff Koons's art class

hasel

Postby walt whitman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 pm

"everything about you, it's perfect."

he sounds like a great art teacher honestly

walt whitman

Postby jubjub » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:59 pm

hazel wrote:wow lets all take Jeff Koons's art class

super down
alaska wrote:what year is it at the end

jubjub

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:58 pm

perhaps the greatest self-own in the history of art?... :lol:

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/25/jerry-saltz-blasted-for-tweet-about-critics-versus-artists/

Jerry Saltz blasted for tweet claiming critics ‘put more into’ writing than artists

Renowned New York magazine art critic and columnist Jerry Saltz has found himself in hot water over a seemingly bombastic announcement.

On Monday the 69-year-old writer tweeted: “A good critic always puts more into writing about art work than the artist put into making it. The artist only creates. The critic must plumb that creation & also write creatively enough to deliver the full volume of the art while also creating a thing of beauty & clarity itself.”

Almost immediately his name began trending on Twitter with furious users aghast.

“This tweet gets worse every time I re-read it,” one comment read while MTV personality Kurt Loder wrote, “Surely kidding.”

“Imagine being egotistical enough to say ‘The artist only creates’,” read another comment while another Twitter user wrote, “This is the kind of bulls–t that gives critics a bad name.”

Saltz attempted to batten down the brouhaha by tweeting: “DO I have to say it again: A good critic DOES create! We do not ‘surpass’ a work. We create a thing in itself adjacent to another thing in itself. We ‘just create’ too. Un-knot your panties! No one said creating something is easy! So literal! You know I love you, artists!”

An hour later, the Pulitzer Prize winner still felt misunderstood because he again tried to quell the criticism he was receiving.

“Someone who writes about wine does not have to make wine. Ditto someone who writes about cooking,” he wrote. “Criticism does not surpass art. I am arguing that criticism creates and it is a thing in itself that is adjacent to another thing in itself. Not better or worse. x”

Besides “creating a thing of beauty” for New York Magazine, Saltz also served as a judge on the Bravo show, “Work of Art: The Next Great American Artist” which ran for one season.

walt whitman

Postby hasel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Ever since his appearance on time crisis I’ve really liked jerry saltz

It didn’t make him seem like a good critic but definitely made him seem like a funny dude

hasel

Postby babycanteen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:55 pm

i couldn't make it through that jeff koons trailer.
but i'm amused by arthur jafa's conspiracy theory that jeff koons is a black man Image

babycanteen

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:17 pm

The funny part about the saltz thing is that there are plenty of artists that would admit that they kind of rely on critics to define their work. I knew so many people who would take the language that someone else used to describe their work and start using it themselves. That’s not a dig, it’s just a reality. Saltz is just dumb for not being able to word that idea …which obv a little ironic

galactagogue

Postby scurrydog » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:31 am

I went to the Whitney and didn’t come within 20 feet of anyone. It was great.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby milano boy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:22 pm

i don't think i have the vocabulary to talk about the article of the day with nuance, but ... feel like this person is just pissed at the art market for being stupid, but is lashing out at the artists, instead of the people who make the art market stupid. when in reality the art market is "smart" because their goal is increasing their capital and using art as a financial vehicle.

Figurative painter go brrr.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-rise-of-bad-figurative-painting

milano boy

Postby galactagogue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:11 pm

also feels like they want to say something specific about a certain kind of figurative painting but didn’t really put the effort into figuring that out? There are a lot of figurative paintings that look nothing like the ones that they’re singling out.

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 pm

also funny for a critic to say artists are running out of ideas...

galactagogue

Postby milano boy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:16 pm

yea, totally!

milano boy

Postby milano boy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:18 pm

it's just a really sloppy hot take all around i think.

milano boy

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:22 pm

Yeah, that's useless and almost completely devoid of ideas (and I'm someone who agrees that almost all of the artists he mentions are bad; I'd only go to bat for Schutz, Party, and Josh Smith, who's a particularly odd inclusion, given that he's making exactly the kind of weird conceptual paintings this seems to be demanding). I guess I almost appreciate the complete lack of self respect you have to have as a critic to write the knock off version of an article that was already a knock off version of a set of seven-year-old ideas.

I'm working on something right now about literalness in Mernet Larsen's El Lissitzky paintings, so I was relieved to see he did absolutely nothing with that stray observation.

Phil

Postby walt whitman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm

valid criticisms but i have to say this is wonderful: “Figurative painter go brrr.”

walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:22 pm

these attacks on contemporary art always make me curious what the critic imagines legitimate culture to look like

walt whitman

Postby scurrydog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Looking at mega wealth secondary commodities markets for cultural trends is like looking mega wealth secondary commodities markets for cultural trends.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby maraschino cherry » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:48 pm

why would I expend the energy to read something that long when they used the word “bad” twice in the opening paragraph lol

maraschino cherry

Postby Phil » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Yeah with that title and opening I assumed this was going to be repurposing the "zombie figuration" angle to kvetch about "bad painting" (naive painting), which would at least be a slightly more specific complaint as far as ubiquitous and unsatisfying styles go, but...almost all of these people are extremely technically competent.

Phil

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....