Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Dear You » Wed May 20, 2020 2:21 am

i mean it wasn't much different. it was like a "ok, y'all drew 7 cards each? cool, that'll give me 7...14...21....28....56 snakes from doubling season" followed by a collective "oh great, thanks jacob [windfall player]."

swung at windfall player and another guy with like 20 snakes each because they had like 2 creatures and <20 life. rinse/repeat.

since windfall/cycle dude is new to the game i'm trying to convince him to run brallin/shabrazz, even if it's just a jeskai version of what i'm trying to do basically.
milknight wrote:half of u still listen to animal collective and ur gonna shit on the band that did Numb

Dear You

Postby tricksforchips » Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 am

Dear You wrote:
tricksforchips wrote:I ordered a pre release kit. Anyone do the same? Would you want to play some sealed over zoom with the prerelease kit?

so from what i can tell it's basically just six packs + extra card/dice?

i want to try my hand at drafting at some point. i'm assuming it will go poorly, seems like something i would be bad at.

Yeah it's that! In the past you'd also get an entry to a prerelease event, in which you build a 40 card deck from those 6 packs. I looked forward to those so much.

tricksforchips

Postby Kaputt » Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 am

I haven't played magic in years and have some questions re: online. Is there a way to like play some magic games online with friends without spending a load of money? Is it possible to do a digital draft with friends?

Kaputt

Postby tricksforchips » Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 am

Kaputt wrote:I haven't played magic in years and have some questions re: online. Is there a way to like play some magic games online with friends without spending a load of money? Is it possible to do a digital draft with friends?

You'd think!

The answer is 'no', though. You can challenge friends in Arena in standard.

tricksforchips

Postby broodstar » Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 am

a lot of people use a website that simulates pod drafting and then build the deck on arena. unfortunately, that means you're gonna need an arena collection of the set cards. it might be very cheap altogether ($0.5-3 worth) but in practice it'll be a hassle if you guys don't regularly play

broodstar

Postby Kaputt » Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 am

Wow that is crazy! Thanks guys

Kaputt

Postby Dear You » Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am

I just found out about untap.in. Still trying to get the hang of the interface/playing but I was able to copy/paste my edh decks into the site and play right away for free!!! Maybe something to consider.
milknight wrote:half of u still listen to animal collective and ur gonna shit on the band that did Numb

Dear You

Postby Itsmecraig » Fri May 29, 2020 3:35 pm

tricksforchips wrote:
Dear You wrote:
tricksforchips wrote:I ordered a pre release kit. Anyone do the same? Would you want to play some sealed over zoom with the prerelease kit?

so from what i can tell it's basically just six packs + extra card/dice?

i want to try my hand at drafting at some point. i'm assuming it will go poorly, seems like something i would be bad at.

Yeah it's that! In the past you'd also get an entry to a prerelease event, in which you build a 40 card deck from those 6 packs. I looked forward to those so much.

I just picked up two prerelease kits. Down to play some sealed or draft with anyone who wants.

Itsmecraig

Postby Dear You » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:22 pm

Can't wait to make a fun little jank shrine/curse/enchantment tribal edh deck with the new shrine cycle coming out.

Dear You

Postby dusky » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm

I can't believe it took me this long but, I fucking love magic: the gathering.

dusky

Postby nicecatbutchicken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:17 pm

i haven't pre-released in a long time but my local store is doing 12 person events this weekend (in relatively COVID free Wellington, NZ) and i'm reeally looking forward to it. myself and friends will be making up a quarter of the event :P
TwistedRenamon5 wrote:Sorry for asking the real questions while you do some weird younger brother roleplay

nicecatbutchicken

Postby dusky » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm

that's fucking awesome. I have been playing with my friend and brother-in-law (< he got us into it) every Saturday, as well as Arena. I've been learning so many cards throughout historic and current standard that I haven't even had a chance to check out what's coming in Zendikar.

dusky

Postby broodstar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm

i've been completely out of the game for like 7 months. i like the idea of amonkhet/kaladesh remastered

broodstar

Postby nicecatbutchicken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:01 pm

nice, i'm keen to get a Windows machine at least in part so i can play Arena and get my MTG fix whenever. i mostly play EDH these days but almost weekly. i do miss playing duel formats / tournaments.

Zendikar looks fun, I always enjoy Landfall (though there aren't tonnes of multiple-lands-per-turn enablers) and Kicker.
TwistedRenamon5 wrote:Sorry for asking the real questions while you do some weird younger brother roleplay

nicecatbutchicken

Postby broodstar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm

everyone said cycling was a great mechanic but it got pretty ruined for me in ikoria because it actually had archetypes with explicit synergies that were way too strong. i dunno if landfall is poised to be the same. kicker's cool.

broodstar

Postby broodstar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:18 pm

oh zendikars already out

broodstar

Postby nicecatbutchicken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:22 pm

cycling rules but i haven't played any Ikoria limited/standard so i don't know what those cycling-matters decks were doing. it's great in a similar way to the modal lands in Zendikar Rising, huge increase in deck building flexibility.

nicecatbutchicken

Postby dusky » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:25 pm

broodstar, would you mind giving me an example of an op cycling play? I want to know what you're talking about (beyond what I believe the basic mechanic of cycling is)

dusky

Postby broodstar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm

ya, i completely get that. i know people just want a set where every card just has cycling 1 or 2 or something for versatility and consistency.

in ikoria there were cards with overt synergies with how many cards u cycled so the most 1d archetype was just to pick every card no matter what color it was with the word 'cycling' on it after u see a mere uncommon rarity of 1-2 zenith flares, and then those would deal x damage to opponent's face and heal you for x, so obviously after you've cycled like 5 things, which is not a huge cost to your gameplan, you could just launch zenith flares at their face, completely ignore the gamestate, and win

although it was kinda funny to see people like 'well i lose to one zenith flare but there's no way they have two or three' and then bam

edit:
dusky wrote:broodstar, would you mind giving me an example of an op cycling play? I want to know what you're talking about (beyond what I believe the basic mechanic of cycling is)

the cycling archetype is basically what i outlined above. but i'm guessing this is a question coming from a newcomer's perspective, and the reason cycling is generally very well-regarded is because card games are all about rng, and cycling (pay x mana to replace this card in your hand) pretty hugely increases your consistency. if lands have cycling then you can't get those games where you draw 16 lands and 1 spell because you can just keep cycling your lands
Last edited by broodstar on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broodstar

Postby dusky » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 pm

ah, thanks!

dusky

Postby Dear You » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 am

after i won like 20 ladder games in a row with the basic zenith flare deck it stopped being fun to play at all. you're just playing solitaire.

Dear You

Postby npc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:11 am

scrying treasure prowess are nice too
the new arts kinda terrible. trash lands. missing that border between text box and full art. or shoulda went full art. too half measure. wizards be like the last ones had too much secondary market value, lets make these have none

npc

Postby nicecatbutchicken » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Are you talking about the borderless versions? They're more rare, alternate printings. There are still full art basics and bordered versions of everything that's borderless. If you're talking about the expeditions then, well i don't think they're worth thinking/complaining about.

Having said that most of the art is pretty bad. I really like Image both art and effect (for EDH). The modal dual lands are fantastic imo.
Last edited by nicecatbutchicken on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicecatbutchicken

Postby dusky » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:51 pm

yeah that card owns all around

dusky

Postby dusky » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:52 pm

my friend is hooking me up a booster box for $60 : x

dusky

Postby joymonger » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

i played a game of bo1 zenidark limited again lordtupperware today on his stream and milled him out. felt nice.

joymonger

Postby fester » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm

been out of the game quite a while

is the meta still just a fuckload of simic flash and red aggro
------------

fester

Postby dusky » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:22 pm

I've only been playing on arena 2 weeks or so but it seems to me the most popular meta are decks built around Uro and Nissa. I'm playing mostly historic though, so I don't really know. I really like seeing good counters to both with skyclave apparition and soul shatter.

I like this card+art too
as a mostly aggro player, think it might be nice against those control players who often pull the clutch and beat me when I'm over 20 and their well under 10. maybe. cool art anyway.

dusky

Postby broodstar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:36 pm

literally haven't played standard since 2019 i think but i am not a fan of seeing dream trawlers uros and nissas in decks

broodstar

Postby dusky » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:38 pm

yeah I refuse to use them

dusky

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....