63%
MILLER
37%

Total votes : 67

Postby Amblin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:08 am

surly wrote:
Mesh wrote:
Amblin wrote:Maybe the Janie’s Got A Gun video is his blank check

If it's a video, it's "Straight Up" or "Express Yourself" but it's not, it's Se7en, which collected $327 million on a $33 million budget.

there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the blank check as a concept. seven, fight club and panic room all combine to GIVE fincher the blank check. the blank check movie is zodiac, a nearly 3-hour movie ostensibly about one of the world's most notorious serial killers but that is way more interested in a cartoonist's obsession than the actual crimes

except the concept about the podcast isn't individual movies, its filmographies.

griffin says filmographies every time he describes it.

so its about multiple films, not really a single one. i'd say that each filmography is usually driven by the massive success of one very successful movie, so we can describe the "blank check movie" as the one that drives the rest of the filmography.

Amblin

Postby Amblin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:11 am

really the theme of the series is "mainstream, modern directors who have directed a least a half dozen movies with a range of success" at this point

Amblin

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:16 am

yeah, though i'd say originally the focus was more on like, the specifics of what these people do when they are given total creative control, and how interesting the results are. star wars obv, and shyamalan and iirc wachowskis they kinda went into this stuff more

but yeah i'm also not a stickler i just wanna hang with My Boys
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:23 am

virtuous wrote:It’s just a dumb framework to talk about movies and crack dumb jokes.

Anyone worked up over the “blank check” aspect needs to relax.

It honestly reads way too much like the cringey reddit stuff.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby guy forget » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:42 am

It’s Serial but for movies guys, they say so in the first episode
“known expert”

guy forget

Postby surly » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 am

Amblin wrote:
surly wrote:
Mesh wrote:
Amblin wrote:Maybe the Janie’s Got A Gun video is his blank check

If it's a video, it's "Straight Up" or "Express Yourself" but it's not, it's Se7en, which collected $327 million on a $33 million budget.

there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of the blank check as a concept. seven, fight club and panic room all combine to GIVE fincher the blank check. the blank check movie is zodiac, a nearly 3-hour movie ostensibly about one of the world's most notorious serial killers but that is way more interested in a cartoonist's obsession than the actual crimes

except the concept about the podcast isn't individual movies, its filmographies.

griffin says filmographies every time he describes it.

so its about multiple films, not really a single one. i'd say that each filmography is usually driven by the massive success of one very successful movie, so we can describe the "blank check movie" as the one that drives the rest of the filmography.

the blank check movies are the passion projects, not the massive success that allows for the passion projects!
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby davideotape » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:52 am

any crazy passion projects!!
oh, word?

davideotape

Postby deadbass » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm

It's a podcast where Griffin Newman and David Sims talk to each other and I get to listen to it.

deadbass

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm

yeah I honestly don't understand why people get anal-retentive about the concept at this point
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm

actually, this show started as a way to talk about Star Wars merch and fan fic and do bits with a fake George Lucas

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:46 pm

also because griffin tweeted at david about watto
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby unscrambled » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:51 pm

i was just curious!!!!!

unscrambled

Postby surly » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:yeah I honestly don't understand why people get anal-retentive about the concept at this point

i mean, it seems relevant to discussions about which of fincher's movies is the blank check!

surly
the insult bastard

Postby guy forget » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Yeah it doesn’t seem like a wacky thing to talk about, even if ultimately it doesn’t matter much.
“known expert”

guy forget

Postby Mesh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm

If you're looking for where Fincher's expenditure of Hollywood money and his expenditure of creative capital reach their highest heights in a single project, I'd argue that it's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, where he spent $167 million to make an all-concept adaptation of a totally unproven Fitzgerald story seed, one that several perfectly capable directors/writers/auteur types had tried and passed on. It's his biggest gamble despite the presence of Brad Pitt.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am

the guest on Whisper Of THe Heart ep has a voice/accent that's killing me cause it reminds me of some actress i think? but i can't place it. the particular way she makes "r" sounds. :oops:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Shalabi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 am

Watto tho

Shalabi

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:25 am

Watto is Griff's blank check.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:12 am

Griffin on Comedy Bang Bang again today. Actually playing a character this time, not the interview guest. It wasn’t bad, pretty much along the lines of his ad read characters.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:45 am

Scott said during the plugs that he wants to come on for the Something Wild episode. Who knows if that actually means anything though.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby pantsoclock » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:48 am

Whisper of the Heart seems like the most made for the podcast, with the inside baseball of the director being their protege who died young, but Lord I don't know if I can imagine them having anything useful to say about the movie itself.
It's my dark horse favorite Ghibli.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

Postby Shalabi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Wistful slice-of-life animes set in Tokyo :)

Shalabi

Postby inmate » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 pm

i've been meaning to listen to this show for a long time so i decided to jump in on the gemini man episode because i liked that movie a lot. i thought about starting with the joker one, but i liked that movie too so it's probably not a good idea to start with one where i disagree with everything they're saying. but anyway, i enjoyed the show, probably gonna keep listening, might go back and check out the mann episodes or just wait until they're done with miyazaki and join up again with the next filmography

inmate

Postby pzadvance » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:49 am

Potentially very obvious observation but just realized during the ant man and the wasp commentary how successfully Ben has been channeling a pseudo-Karl pilkington energy on this show

pzadvance

Postby guy forget » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

You’re telling me Ben WASNT stoned for this Ant Man v Wasp ep??
“known expert”

guy forget

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Mid December Patreon ep is gonna be Swimming to Cambodia with Griffin’s dad

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby surly » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:Mid December Patreon ep is gonna be Swimming to Cambodia with Griffin’s dad

and gethard back for a marvel performance review!

surly
the insult bastard

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:40 pm

what are the essential Demmes? I haven't seen any of his films aside from Silence of the Lambs, Stop Making Sense and Philadelphia
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:41 pm

people like Something Wild but I watched it recently and didn't really dig it much! i'm sure that's on me tho
Last edited by Rainbow Battle Kid on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:41 pm

Something Wild

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley