Postby guy forget » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pm

YEAH IT GOT BETTER
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby pzadvance » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:24 pm

I insist!!! The meat!!! Etc!!!!!

pzadvance

Postby davideotape » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am

man i completely forgot they did Nolan already so i hit up their history and holy crap theyve done so many directors and shows. im at lunch and just ran it down
- Star Wars
- Shyamalan
- Wachowskis
- Crowe
- Cameron
- Late Spielberg
- Nolan
- Bigelow
- Verhoven
- JL Brooks
- Brad Bird
- Ang Lee
- Nancy Meyers
- Burton
- Mann
- Miyazaki

one-off eps (didnt include mailbags/awards/patreons/continued directors):
- the Judge
- Fantastic Four
- Batman Vs Supes
- Fletch
- Suicide Squad
- Under Siege 2
- Jack Reacher 2
- The Man Who Knew Too Little
- Blank Check the Movie
- Clifford
- Wonder Woman
- Book of Henry
- Devil Wears Prada
- Justice League
- Lost in Space
- Running Scared
- Josie and the Pussycats
- Hotel Transylvania series
- Space Jam
- A Star is Born
- Ralph Breaks the Internet
- Aquaman
- Assassins Creed
- Detective Pilachu
- The Lion King

did i forget anything?? i might revisit Nolan, all i remember is the Insomnia episode
i agree with every take, good/bad/hot

davideotape

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am

yeah I was thinking the other day about how it seems like just yesterday they were heading into Shyamalan and now they've gone through like 15 directors
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 am

The Burton series felt so long compared to all the others
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Fullscreen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:The Burton series felt so long compared to all the others

Late Spielberg was the longest overall tho, right? It felt like it.

He's the blank checkiest director out there and Lincoln and tintin adhere to that idea, but many of his late period movies just.... aren't that interesting to me. His stuff feels workmanlike, even when it's technically ambitious.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby dan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Demme's gonna be real long too, though I assume they'll start it later in his career and/or offload some movies to patreon eps. Hopefully next year they follow it with some directors with smaller filmographies to break things up a bit.

*edit: I guess if they start at Swing Shift, don't do Swimming to Cambodia, and only do Stop Making Sense from his documentary work it's only 12 movies which isn't too long

but can you really call it a Jonathan Demme series if you don't cover Image

dan

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Burton felt so long because his late movies are all such freakin' slogs and I don't think G&D could overcome that. Spielberg had fun stuff like the War Horse ep late in the run that kept it fresh.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby lordofdiapers » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:00 pm

I don't even care what movie they're talking about Ill listen to any of their stuff because the dynamic is so good. Genuinely don't understand any complaints when they go "off the rails". It's so much fun when they do.
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:02 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:I don't even care what movie they're talking about Ill listen to any of their stuff because the dynamic is so good. Genuinely don't understand any complaints when they go "off the rails". It's so much fun when they do.

I love it when they off the rails, but once in a while there will be a point I wish they had explored further
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby davideotape » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:34 pm

i have to admit, i just fired up the Inception episode and the context they immediately go into talking about where the director was career-wise, where each actor was career-wise, nolans own opinions on blank checks, the “p*ssy posse” and jokes about jamiroquoi and then into discussing the film and i really miss that. i think theyre a little tired and loopy and dont research or prep nearly as much as they used to for these.

davideotape

Postby guy forget » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:58 pm

i mostly agree with LoD and i haven't seen the majority of the movies they talk about, but their analysis is really interesting too and my favorite episodes (elizabethtown, for instance) are a combination of both
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:19 am

I think in this specific case they picked a director they knew would get lots of attention despite Griffin having to pretend he now likes the movies (he clearly doesn't) and David being David, a guy who just doesnt really have enthusiasm for animated movies.
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby hyperbole man » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 am

lordofdiapers wrote:a guy who just doesnt really have enthusiasm for animated movies.

that's true in general but i don't think really applies in this case or affects the miniseries dynamic since miyazaki is clearly one of david's fav directors that they've ever done
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby reversemigraine » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:16 am

Yeah, I thought David was the one pushing for a Miyazaki series.

reversemigraine

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 am

I'm sure he did but the I feel the enthusiasm for these films is a bit performative and considering almost all of these episodes have been heavily tangent based and noticeably lacking in film discussion I think it stands to reason. They even had JD on and they barely talked about the movie.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby lordofdiapers » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:42 am

I'm excited for the Ponyo episode because David speaks so lovingly about that film. If theres one in this series they're likely to really pick apart it's that one.

That said, and it's entirely possible this is some sort of confirmation bias, but when they really get into the lore of the director/actors/movie-in-general, I kinda feel like it's Griff who brings the enthusiasm for that stuff. Not saying David doesn't contribute but Griffin typically drives the enthusiasm.

In this case he's not super familiar with the director or the work so he's more of a facilitator (for this series I guess he chose the role of "let's give these a second chance" guy) and I don't know if it works as well that way. At least as not with specific criticism as the main goal.

I think their just so comfortable with their three man routine now that they know can make just about any piece of popular media work as long as they're goofing around.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby davideotape » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:21 pm

yeah i think the context for other directors they probably know a lot more about, because the Hollywood Reporter, Variety and more People-Magazine-for-film-nerds are all about these guys and Miyazaki they mightve had to do some digging and take notes and do more prep for the actual context of where the director was in his life/career when x or y happened. i like the goofaround stuff a lot too but i really would love more like a brad bird or nolan “what makes them tick” type take on miyazaki that goes further than just the themes of the work itself.

davideotape

Postby odilon redon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:39 am

been emotionally bonding with nightcall podcast during my break of dawn morning commute lately, those girls are pretty cool
Last edited by odilon redon on Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

odilon redon

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am

just now catching up and the Two Griffins Energy is cracking me up. david immediately like "i feel like i just ran on a treadmill"
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby lordofdiapers » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 am

The Billy Bob Thornton bit is really good

"Son, there's an Eagle Eye"

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby messier object » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:29 pm

davideotape wrote:yeah i think the context for other directors they probably know a lot more about, because the Hollywood Reporter, Variety and more People-Magazine-for-film-nerds are all about these guys and Miyazaki they mightve had to do some digging and take notes and do more prep for the actual context of where the director was in his life/career when x or y happened. i like the goofaround stuff a lot too but i really would love more like a brad bird or nolan “what makes them tick” type take on miyazaki that goes further than just the themes of the work itself.

i think a lot of the strength of the show comes from their weird encyclopedic trivia knowledge of American movie history, and I think that Miyazaki falls short on two fronts -- that animation just isn't made in the same way, and that something like the Brad Bird series could sort of coast on Griffin's knowledge of the dynamics in the Calarts scene/"dark ages" Disney/knowing the careers of the voice actors. meanwhile I just now learned the same voice actress was Clarisse in Cagliostro/Nausicaä/the mom in Totoro, I think it's pretty clear that the history of the Japanese movie industry just doesn't have the same draw for them that lets them do weird shaggy shows about American stuff, and that the way David is into Miyazaki isn't the same way Griffin was for Bird. like i think this series has felt most comfy when they're talking about the actors in the english dubs, for sure
fouder mister printer the Nowing ones complane of my book the fust edition had no stops I put in A Nuf here and thay may peper and solt it as they plese

messier object

Postby wakeman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:33 pm

appreciated Ben knowing Matt Fraction as a caller on The Best Show
wakeman

Postby CudNylon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 am

Rees is the Phantom Podcast bit made real. He's only aware of the movie he's talking about. That's how I'm comforting myself when confronted with a person who doesn't hold on to useless movie trivia.

edit: ok Four Feathers finally got me. don't remember that one.

CudNylon

Postby lightfoot » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:42 am

spirited away w/rees is maybe my favorite ep ever?

lightfoot

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:44 am

CudNylon wrote:Rees is the Phantom Podcast bit made real. He's only aware of the movie he's talking about. That's how I'm comforting myself when confronted with a person who doesn't hold on to useless movie trivia.

how can one not know about the movie Rat Race

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:30 am

Really enjoyable ep. Spirited Away was the only Miyazaki I had seen before this series, and rewatching it last night it’s still my favorite. They did a good job of identifying the successive moments where you think “I am INTO whatever the fuck this is” (the spirit parade, Kamaji, the head guys and the baby)

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby scrambled » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:02 am

Ted Pikul wrote:
CudNylon wrote:Rees is the Phantom Podcast bit made real. He's only aware of the movie he's talking about. That's how I'm comforting myself when confronted with a person who doesn't hold on to useless movie trivia.

how can one not know about the movie Rat Race

LOL i really had to like sit with this and like really like force myself to accept that someone under the age 50 on a podcast might not know about Rat Race .

but i truly love his energy and enthusiasm. that review he saved.

scrambled

Postby scrambled » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:34 pm

i love rees expressing the antithesis of the general world view of the show

wait also - griffin's story about his mom and toy story .... chilling. david and griff both going into their fear of turning into adult was super interesting, revealing and really makes sense. i really didn't have that fear at all growing up, but i also had two older brothers. the two friends are both the oldest of their family, right? does ben have siblings???

fav episode in a while

scrambled

Postby pantsoclock » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:00 pm

Rees' cynicism is ironically a breath of fresh air
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....