MILLER
33%

Total votes : 40

Postby guy forget » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Once he started goin in on EW i gave a little fist pump haha
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:34 pm

Though yeah there’s something funny (and honestly relatable) about him having very strong opinions about all this stuff he doesn’t really engage with

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:52 pm

i dunno why but BASED ON A GAME BOY ADVANCE GAME really cracked me up

guy forget

Postby guy forget » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm

man framing this episode around Shrek was actually sort of genius

guy forget

Postby pzadvance » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:04 am

im very touched by hodgman and the two friends' friendship, feels so genuine

pzadvance

Postby scrambled » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 am

as a comic book reader who was not an MCU completist in any way and really jumped back in for the black panther-infinity war moment, i really appreciated hodgman's genuine/pure enthusiasm of this movie. was really bracing myself for some grouchy griff. it was also really lol how hodgman would routinely describe a scene ala an actual functioning commentary. there's no way people are still trying to watch the movie with the audio track synced up right

scrambled

Postby guy forget » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:25 am

Hodgeman is a funny likeable goof, I agree he has good chemistry with T2F + Ben

guy forget

Postby separator » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

david named guests are a lot better than griffin named guests

separator

Postby avenue » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 am

I just want one patreon episode where we don't have to hear about griffin's fantastic four script.

avenue

Postby guy forget » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Hodgeman made a couple very :? :? jokes that I was happy to hear David call out a little bit

guy forget

Postby Shalabi » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:31 pm

I’m tempted to drive an hour to Century City to see this dumbshit 120FPS Gemini Man.

Shalabi

Postby CudNylon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Somehow GM is showing in 3D+ HFR 10 miles from me in an even smaller town. Not sold on the film but I’m down for the experience.

CudNylon

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Watching Howl’s and it’s the first of these that’s really not doing much for me
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby pzadvance » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 pm

I think it’s the only one he’s made that could reasonably be considered less than great?

pzadvance

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 am

Yeah it's his weakest movie
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 am

omg the live reaction to the Matrix announcementToggle Spoiler
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 am

howls is the most “anime” feeling one, i like it

odilon redon

Postby ashtrayheart » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 am

i think miyazaki has been mostly fine but not really that great. it’s kinda limited by two things: foreign films have less hollywood gossipy stuff to dwell on (including no actor dynamic stuff to explore) and his movies are all sort of obviously great.

saw upthread the nolan series talk: i think that’s their best miniseries. the interstellar episode is one of the best eps. i don’t know how they get back there, as nolan was kind of the last perfect director who is both an auteur and immensely relevant.

ashtrayheart

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am

i was a skeptic of this series being good beforehand for a lot of the reasons you just outlined but i’ve enjoyed it a lot even just as a reason to bask in these movies for a bit and the guests have been great

odilon redon

Postby ashtrayheart » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 am

i thought that second griffin they got was a great guest, genuinely funny.

ashtrayheart

Postby No Good Advice » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am

ashtrayheart wrote:i think miyazaki has been mostly fine but not really that great. it’s kinda limited by two things: foreign films have less hollywood gossipy stuff to dwell on (including no actor dynamic stuff to explore) and his movies are all sort of obviously great.

saw upthread the nolan series talk: i think that’s their best miniseries. the interstellar episode is one of the best eps. i don’t know how they get back there, as nolan was kind of the last perfect director who is both an auteur and immensely relevant.

Spirited away was one of their best episodes yet and also naturally did include hollywood talk through the shrek juxtaposition.

Also griff the actor probably played up his miyazaki alienation, holding off the praise om his earlier movies to get the right dramatic peak w spirited away

No Good Advice

Postby pzadvance » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm

can't believe they would unironically ride for the english dub of this one - the billy crystal-ness of it all is so obnoxious and a plain attempt by lasseter to turn this into a full-on disney movie for the american market

watched it again last night and its even more undercooked and messy than i remembered. couldn't really recount the plot to you just hours after seeing it, and none of the main characters have any depth at all. also several elements feel borrowed from earlier, better miyazakis (the porco rosso-esque curse on sophie, the old witch and the dog switching to the good team like the baby and the henchbird in spirited away, etc.) really weird misfire

pzadvance

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:48 pm

The Plot Doesn’t Matter imo

odilon redon

Postby pzadvance » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:53 pm

you could say that about a lot of his movies, sure. but theres a sort of intuitive dream logic to spirited away's plot that helps it move at a good pace and keeps you from getting bogged down in potentially confusing details, and it also has super compelling characters and setpieces. howl on the other hand, doesnt have much in the way of either of those so the plot issues rise to the surface more noticeably, plus it isnt moving you along as energetically.

also spirited away does such an excellent job of world building up top that you can just go along for the ride afterwards; howl throws the plot in motion before we even really get our bearings in the world, and as such raises a few too many questions as we get deeper in imo

pzadvance

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:46 pm

all films are shit in comparison to spirited away

odilon redon

Postby guy forget » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:49 pm

I guess this is where I’ll come out and say that I watched Spirited Away for the first time last week (besides seeing bits like a decade ago) and came away unmoved.

Like I appreciated it and thought it was cool and am glad it exists and all but it didn’t really evoke anything within me and certainly didn’t devastate me emotionally or anything. I think I appreciated it more after hearing G&D talk about it, but I came away a little disappointed.

And I think Howl’s is a very fun movie that I greatly enjoy so maybe I’m just a big idiot

guy forget

Postby Mesh » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Shalabi wrote:I’m tempted to drive an hour to Century City to see this dumbshit 120FPS Gemini Man.

I'm tempted to offer a Detroit-area Blankie a ride to Toronto just to force myself to do it.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby scrambled » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 am

Ehrlich tipped over into way too self-referential/pod-referential in this episode for my taste. calm downnnn

also that byran singerToggle Spoiler joke from griff has to be top 5 worst jokes ever recorded on this pod

scrambled

Postby guy forget » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:22 pm

So...do you guys believe in demons?

guy forget

Postby kayke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 pm

kayke

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....