We'll kick your ass in

FINAL

DEMME
64%
MILLER
36%

Total votes : 47

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:07 pm

(i actually like both of those haters who are wrong)
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby wakeman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 pm

on the A24 podcast with PTA, the Safdies mention just learning that Robert Altman was a degenerate gambler. Could they be Checkmates??
wakeman

Postby davideotape » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:21 pm

theyve gotta be, read that Best Show thread.
i agree with every take, good/bad/hot

davideotape

Postby quaker city » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:48 am

wakeman wrote:on the A24 podcast with PTA, the Safdies mention just learning that Robert Altman was a degenerate gambler. Could they be Checkmates??

they also talked about jonathan demme 8-)

quaker city

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:31 pm

I could see the Safdies being Hoz fans
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:53 am

i had only seen bits and pieces of philadelphia and dang it is a really wonderful movie!

i haven't listened to the ep yet but i'm expecting extensive discussion of the opera scene, which is still keeping me up at like 1 AM currently thinking about it

Pops Freshenmeyer

Postby scrambled » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:33 am

it is kinda insane how wonderful the movie is.

it was interesting hearing griff do his hyper-context-talk on trans issues on lambs and gay issues on philly. like richard dawson seems this poignant thing about what if the visible gay culture writers like bobby finger just succumbed to a disease and died and griffin does not let the moment breathe and goes on about his parent's friends. i feel like emily was given a lot of room on lambs, but lawson also does not strike me as one to wax on things like this. but also honestly, as someone coming out/of age in the obama/glee/marriage equality era and do not know anyone personally that died of AIDS, it is sometimes hard to connect so fully with the AIDS crisis.

i wonder what beloved is gonna be like. i remember the amistad ep was awkward but maybe my memory was wrong.

scrambled

Postby whatabout tim » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks for the posts pops and scrambled. I've been running ahead on the demme mini series and loving the movies but griff's handwringing about the gay culture stuff in philadelphia in the lambs ep had me putting it off for whatever reason. Weird that amazon has it streaming in uhd (or close) too.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby davideotape » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:42 pm

if i remember the amistad episode was brutal and maybe like 30 mins because they were like “ehhhh we’re out of our element, good movie i guess. see ya!”

davideotape

Postby odilon redon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:49 pm

the demme mini-series has been really enjoyable to me so far, surprisingly so since i don’t really rate him beforehand. the patreon stuff lately too they’re very in the groove rn

odilon redon

Postby wakeman » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:57 pm

I think they got this lady on the Beloved ep
https://twitter.com/jourdayen
wakeman

Postby scrambled » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:15 pm

whatabout tim wrote:Thanks for the posts pops and scrambled. I've been running ahead on the demme mini series and loving the movies but griff's handwringing about the gay culture stuff in philadelphia in the lambs ep had me putting it off for whatever reason. Weird that amazon has it streaming in uhd (or close) too.

thanks. yeah and let me be clear, it's kind of like that thing of them being really objectifying as men to kind of balance the scales, i am not like angry at griff or anything. it's these moments that make them so human and i enjoy listening to them. it's so interesting listening pre-trump episodes and how more crude it was and how griff's humor evolved. kind of like when i read older threads here before i was a member :lol: (not that i'm implying me joining the board created wide sweeping cultural change but if you want to argue that be my guest!!!!!!)

scrambled

Postby deadbass » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:45 pm

Yeah that was an interesting point by Richard. I remember my ex's mom talking about being a flight attendant in the 80's and early 90's - so many of her male coworkers were gay, and she figures that in a 5 year span she went to a least 20 funerals. A generation of people were lost and we don't talk about it. It's so sad.

deadbass

Postby guy forget » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:46 pm

that chris weitz rogue 1 ep was delightful. they've had a string of good ones recently.
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 pm

I rememer when Weitz first guested (I think it was for Lust, Caution?) I looked at his filmography and was like "huh?" but he fucking killed it. He's a great guest.

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby davideotape » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Im listening now, i like that this ends with the beginning of the Keep RPG episode, much like Rogue One ends with the beginning of the original SW

davideotape

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 pm

Does Weitz actually dig into what went on with Rogue One, or does it sound like he's trying to talk around a Disney NDA like everyone else involved?

reversemigraine

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm

He doesn't go into any of the DIsney drama but he just gives a lot of neat context for everything

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby reversemigraine » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm

I guess mostly I'm interested in what the major differences were pre-reshoots: to what extent they rewrote Jyn's character halfway through (hence all the toys being "Sgt. Jyn Erso" and looking more like a member of the Rebel Alliance), if it's true that they changed Riz's character's name and backstory during reshoots, etc.

The final act changes seem pretty well documented, but there's always been suggestions that some of the main characters changed considerably midstream.

Gonna have to resubscribe, I guess.

reversemigraine

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:01 pm

Yeah he definitely gets into changes that were made quite a bit

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 am

scrambled wrote:as someone coming out/of age in the obama/glee/marriage equality era and do not know anyone personally that died of AIDS, it is sometimes hard to connect so fully with the AIDS crisis.

You should go see The Inheritance! I wish I had while I was still in NYC :cry:

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby Mesh » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 am

Can we admit that David said "Bahsum Buddies" while recounting Hanks' career and it was real :?
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:15 am

haha yeah i was like "wait what?" but coulda just been a slip!
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby lordofdiapers » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am

Tar Pit wrote:Random question, but does anyone remember which episode they talked about Honey and "THE CENTER?!?"

Brokeback Mountain......one of the best episodes ever
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby Mr. Towel » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 am

Random question - which episode has the male enhancement ad read from Griffin (maybe Flat Stanley? Can't remember honestly) but it turns out it was the wrong product in the end and it basically falls apart completely? Pretty sure it was from 2019...

Mr. Towel

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 am

I was listening to Bechdel Cast on Bad Boys and they pointed out this quote from GQ's oral history of Michael Bay (the first movie Bay worked on was Raiders of the Lost Ark):

George Lucas (director): Michael's films are immediately identifiable.
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby OKterrific » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:24 am

that's funny but given that it's Lucas I'm guessing he meant it as a genuine compliment
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby hyperbole man » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:36 am

beloved ep was really solid. jourdain searles was prob my favorite new twitter follow of last year, and i thought she brought a lot of great energy and insight here. there were times where the two friends seemed to kinda crowd her out and i wished they'd given her more time to talk, esp. since she was so much more well-versed in the book & in morrison's writing in general than they were, but she really went hard on those deep context dives and seemed as interested and excited as griff and david when digging into the minutiae of various actors and directors' careers (which is not always the case, esp. with first-time guests). hope she comes back!
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby scrambled » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:26 pm

totally agree, loved Searles and what she brought to the table. i respected her wide-sweeping knowledge of the high, mid, and lowbrow. do you mind expanding more on the crowding her out moments? I kinda felt it too but it was hard to identify.

is it weird i was shocked david/griff knew so much about tyler perry movies?

scrambled

Postby hyperbole man » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:26 pm

scrambled wrote:totally agree, loved Searles and what she brought to the table. i respected her wide-sweeping knowledge of the high, mid, and lowbrow. do you mind expanding more on the crowding her out moments? I kinda felt it too but it was hard to identify.

i think it was a combo of two things:
1) griffin's excitable/interrupt-y/"here's my TAKE"-y energy... which i love and find charming (as a fan of the podcast, how could i not?) but which i bristle slightly at when they have women on as guests because it can shade into feeling like griffin is talking over them (and david too, to the extent that he can get revved-up by full-tilt griffin)
+
2) the fact that she seemed to have a lot of thoughtful things to say about the story, its characters, and its themes as it was rendered cinematically vs. as it had been written by morrison originally (and i don't usually love adaptation talk but it seemed crucial here for the oprah/blank-check-y reasons they discussed extensively), and the zig-zaggy nature of the discussion meant that some of those insights were only touched on briefly, and overall it left me wanting to hear her expand some of those thoughts at greater length.
hyperbole man
post/username

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....