Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Unbelievably I've never had Nana, but I love love love Jackalope at 33rd and Blue City bikes next to it. Would eventually like to make that move to Ravenswood depending on where I'm employed but I can't think of a better place than Bridgeport on the South Side if I'm going to be tied down to a program down here for at least another year. Pilsen's too far away given that I also work in Woodlawn/South Shore.

You live in Bridgeport?
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:26 pm

I live in Pilsen, but I worked down in Canaryville for years so Bridgeport is like my second neighborhood. Lots to love there. The Unique Thrift at halsted and 31st is the best one in the city, I make a pickup run to Pleasant House Bakery at least once a month, Let's Boogie is a fun little record store, dude is real nice. It's weird considering I live in Pilsen but I really like Pancho Pistolas for mexican food. Ferros has hands down the best italian ice in the entire city, and its not even close, that stuff is like crack.

tgk

Postby darger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:37 pm

(^_^) tasty wrote:hey guys. i'm visiting next week. need to take work clients out one night and wondering if you have any good current restaurant recos. looking for a place that people who live in chicago but arent necessarily 'with it' might not have tried. budget around 50-100 per person all in. doesnt have to be right downtown but needs to be at least somewhat adjacent - no far north side restaurants. any ideas?

trencherman and ruxbin are my current picks. ruxbin doesn't do reservations and has long waits though so its probably not a client place.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2013/best-restaurants-trenchermen/

darger
ok

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm

need to branch out from the usual Nuevo Leon centric Mexican dining up in Pilsen, so I'll check out Pancho Pistolas soon. always default to the raspados at Jam House (pleasantly surprised to see that place pop up in this thread a couple of pages ago) if I need a sweet iced thing but the next time I swing by Ferros.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

i've been spending a lot of time in South Shore over the past month, and there's this hushed observation among its residents that the pace at which the Pilsen-Bridgeport axis of the South Side is changing suggests that there truly is a market for well-heeled educated gentrifiers to move away from Milwaukee Ave. and the north Red line into middle class black neighborhoods. black chicago's so segregated and distinct from the rest of the city that a gentrified Woodlawn and South Shore seems like an impossibility, but perhaps one day we'll be talking about the great Jamaican jerk and 24 hr sandwich places along Stony Island the same way we're talking about Pilsen's raspados right now. i had the Jim Shoe at 84th and Stony last weekend and it was hands down the best meal I had all year.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby (^_^) tasty » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:46 pm

darger wrote:
(^_^) tasty wrote:hey guys. i'm visiting next week. need to take work clients out one night and wondering if you have any good current restaurant recos. looking for a place that people who live in chicago but arent necessarily 'with it' might not have tried. budget around 50-100 per person all in. doesnt have to be right downtown but needs to be at least somewhat adjacent - no far north side restaurants. any ideas?

trencherman and ruxbin are my current picks. ruxbin doesn't do reservations and has long waits though so its probably not a client place.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2013/best-restaurants-trenchermen/

farmhouse is good but probably too chill/downscale

sepia i would consider, but most of my clients have probably been there a few times

ruxbin is great but we need reservations

trencherman could be the one...
t a k e e c s t a s y w i t h m e b a a a a a by

(^_^) tasty

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Speaking of Pilsen, I don't think its been mentioned here but the Empty Bottle owners bought Thalia Hall (beautiful old building that recently housed an awful italian restaurant that lasted less than a year) and they're gonna fill it up with businesses and bars and even a live music venue.
Crazy to think when I first moved to Pilsen 5 years ago there wasn't a single hipster bar or restaurant outside of skylark. Really glad I bought a house here when the housing market bottomed out.

tgk

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:54 pm

yeah, and there's still a long way to go. 18th St can still feel super unpopulated on a weekday night, and the next step is eally getting foot traffic to increase in the area once the sun sets. Alderman Danny Solis is the best member of the City Council too, which goes a long way in explaining Pilsen's huge boom over the past 5 years.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Pilsen has the big issue of having a huge two block long vacant lot between halsteds art cooridor and the attractions of 18th st. They were supposed to put condos there but its just been piles of rubble for at least the past five years if not longer. Dunno what the holdup is, it's absolutely primo location.

tgk

Postby viachicago » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:02 pm

bicycle made for two wrote: Alderman Danny Solis is the best member of the City Council too, which goes a long way in explaining Pilsen's huge boom over the past 5 years.

well, i think the gentrification of Pilsen is inevitable given its proximity to downtown and the historically intact streetscapes, just kind of a matter of time.

bicycle made for two wrote:i've been spending a lot of time in South Shore over the past month, and there's this hushed observation among its residents that the pace at which the Pilsen-Bridgeport axis of the South Side is changing suggests that there truly is a market for well-heeled educated gentrifiers to move away from Milwaukee Ave. and the north Red line into middle class black neighborhoods. black chicago's so segregated and distinct from the rest of the city that a gentrified Woodlawn and South Shore seems like an impossibility, but perhaps one day we'll be talking about the great Jamaican jerk and 24 hr sandwich places along Stony Island the same way we're talking about Pilsen's raspados right now. i had the Jim Shoe at 84th and Stony last weekend and it was hands down the best meal I had all year.

doubtful in our lifetimes. people have been talking about East Garfield gentrifying for decades too, which clearly hasnt happened and has far more of a chance of attracting young people given its west side location than the far flung south side bedroom communities.
Last edited by viachicago on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viachicago

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm

even taking the shithole that is the United Center out of the equation a lot of the Green Line stops just west of the Loop house some pretty awful places with lots of unrealized potential though, so I don't think Pilsen's successes were a given from 2007, 08. walking from the Morgan Green Line stop to the Ogilvie Metra station brings you through some unsavory places, and there's really not a lot of great commerce to speak of.

and that part of town is much closer to downtown than Pilsen.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby viachicago » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm

bicycle made for two wrote:even taking the shithole that is the United Center out of the equation a lot of the Green Line stops just west of the Loop house some pretty awful places with lots of unrealized potential though, so I don't think Pilsen's successes were a given from 2007, 08. walking from the Morgan Green Line stop to the Ogilvie Metra station brings you through some unsavory places, and there's really not a lot of great commerce to speak of.

and that part of town is much closer to downtown than Pilsen.

true, but pilsen has always been a very strong immigrant magnet, which brings a lot of vitality. even though its maybe on the brink a little bit, it was still far more stable than a lot of the places which are just out and out helpless war zones.

viachicago

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm

There's nothing I'd like to see more than to have chicago desegregate its neighborhoods but it'll be an uphill battle. Whites will gentrify into Latino or Asian neighborhoods, but it's rare to see that happen with black neighborhoods.

tgk

Postby viachicago » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

transit is another big factor. the south side is hopelessly under served by rail. and no matter how you slice it, its a long haul to get back up north.

viachicago

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

yeah, and don't I know it. makes me seethe that 63rd St had 5 CTA stops as recently as 1992, but they were torn down save for 63rd and King/Cottage. that street is mostly comprised of vacant lots now.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Just saw a post that one of the Goose Island brewers is opening a brewery in Pilsen. Man, with that and Lagunitas opening any day now i'll be swimming in fresh brews year round.

http://chicagoist.com/2013/08/07/jared_rouben_bringing_beer_for_mood.php

tgk

Postby death is my amigo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:26 pm

viachicago wrote:transit is another big factor. the south side is hopelessly under served by rail. and no matter how you slice it, its a long haul to get back up north.

if anyone could recommend good books on race + chicago's urban planning, i'd really appreciate it.
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since

death is my amigo
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm sure there's more in-depth books on the subject but Daley the first is a huge factor in why the city is still so segregated today.

God why can't we live in a world where Mike Royko and Roger Ebert are still alive and writing for the paper?

tgk

Postby bicycle made for two » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:33 pm

sleigh wrote:
viachicago wrote:transit is another big factor. the south side is hopelessly under served by rail. and no matter how you slice it, its a long haul to get back up north.

if anyone could recommend good books on race + chicago's urban planning, i'd really appreciate it.

This is what I do for a living, unfortunately. :)

good primers are Arnold Hirsch's Making the Second Ghetto and Beryl Satter's Family Properties. Start with those, and they do touch upon the Great Migration, but it's hard to understand how black Chicago came to be without looking at how black Southerners crammed into trains bound for Bronzeville looking for a better life from the 20s onward. Isabel Wilkerson's Warmth of Other Suns is the magnum opus of that genre. honestly though, really, a drive down State St. or King Dr. on a Sunday morning to Daley's Diner in Woodlawn (uniformly fantastic breakfasts) gives you a great 101 into Chicago's urban planning, and a first-hand glimpse into what it's like to live that other city can be surprisingly fuckin informative.
bicycle made for two
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I haven't read it but my gf loved There Are No Children Here, a seminal work on race and sociology that takes place in chicago's housing projects (she loved the Warmth of Other Suns too).

tgk

Postby death is my amigo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:48 pm

thanks guys!
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since

death is my amigo
ok

Postby death is my amigo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 pm

man, sophomore year of high school my english teacher did a unit of TANCH and hoop dreams and fairly blew a bunch of glen ellyn minds. what a guy.

death is my amigo
ok

Postby tgk » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:53 pm

That reminds me that I really have no excuse not to watch the Interrupters now that its on netflix streaming.

tgk

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 am

Shost wrote:i am pretty mixed on kumas. i don't think the burgers are that great, but i'd be more willing to go if the wait wasn't always terrible.

surely it's just a matter of timing? whenever i pass it on the bus on a weekday afternoon/evening, it always seems to be hopping but there's hardly a line out the door or anything.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby mattstan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:21 am

StuntmanMilk wrote:
sleigh wrote:Mattstan, why Wheaton? I grew up in the town over and it has never struck me as a place to consider one day living.

I grew up in Glen Ellyn which is right next to Wheaton before my family moved further West and yeah, I'd have to agree that it's not the type of place that I'd like to return to.

I dunno, got a nice leafy small-town feel from the place, from my handful of visits. Reminded me a little of (townie-side) Urbana, where I spent a number of years after college. Like, if I ever had to completely give up and head to the suburbs with a bundle of kids (and couldn't afford a place in an adjoining suburb like Oak Park, Park Ridge, etc.) it seems like I wouldn't want to kill myself there. Better there than fucken Naperville anyway.
Last edited by mattstan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'I AM REAL'

mattstan

Postby mattstan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:21 am

Definitely second the recommendation on Boss, btw.
'I AM REAL'

mattstan

Postby Shost » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 am

Fullscreen wrote:
Shost wrote:i am pretty mixed on kumas. i don't think the burgers are that great, but i'd be more willing to go if the wait wasn't always terrible.

surely it's just a matter of timing? whenever i pass it on the bus on a weekday afternoon/evening, it always seems to be hopping but there's hardly a line out the door or anything.

you're probably right, i've just always gone on weekends.

Shost

Postby pissydan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:52 am

im sorry for boring the shit out of all you guys but two more questions:

#1 - does anyone know if the better second city show is "a clown car named desire" or "let them eat chaos"?

#2 - anyone familiar with a theatre company called the plagiarists? because this is running while i am there, and it looks interesting:

We’ll be starting our season in August with King Ubu, a company-created adaptation of Alfred Jarry’s Ubu Roi. When it premiered in 1896, Jarry’s tale of the horrible Ubu and his equally horrible wife murdering their way to power was a blast of rude nihilism that blew a hole in the traditions and pretensions of French theatre. Savaged by critics and worshipped by artists with equal vigor, it went on to be a profound and foundational influence on Apollinaire, Artaud, and Breton, among others, making it part of the great chain of anti-art that led to surrealism, dada, the Situationists, even punk rock. Our version sets out to recapture the rudeness and humor of the original, remaking the play for our new century of bilious greedheads and bloviating demagogues. King Ubu is an affirmation of the individual’s power over the system he or she springs from, a recognition of society’s failures and injustices, and a warning about civilization’s susceptibility to subversion and collapse, all making for a work that is disconcerting, hilarious, and, hopefully, a little dangerous. King Ubu will be directed by James Dunn, and will feature company members Jack Dugan Carpenter, Gregory Peters, Jessica Saxvik and will run August 31st through September 28th at The Den Theatre, 1333 North Milwaukee Avenue, 2nd Floor.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby darger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:05 pm

anyone seen "drinking buddies"? totally caught me off guard that its set not just in chicago but at revolution brewing company.

darger
ok

Postby cam'ron hubbard » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Potential Boarder wrote:what about in the suburbs? thinking about the fox river trail on saturday.

this was super fun. couldn't have asked for nicer weather.
Mild High Basketball

cam'ron hubbard
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....