Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Real Emotional Trash took some time to get there for me, for sure, but it really grew on me to where I really love it.

Pig Lib is probably my favorite. I really love the whole mood of the album
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby blab » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Kenny wrote:Name a better 90s college rock indie band than Pavement

I dare you!

They Might be Giants ?

Or maybe Built to Spill ?

Those are college right?

I like Pavement a lot though. Favorite song is Filmore Jive

blab

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 pm

i don't have a lot of nuanced opins on SM or this band but the tone on the coda of this track slays me
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby butter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:56 pm

To this day I have never listened to Terror Twilight. I could anytime I guess. But it's never seemed all that urgent.
butter

Postby big zorb » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:58 pm

ripersnifle wrote:i don't have a lot of nuanced opins on SM or this band but the tone on the coda of this track slays me

for sure
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

I really like Carrot Rope and I think it's an excellent last track on a last album :-X

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby blurst of times » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Terror twilight is good and worth listening to, but I just feel like it's missing the playful, spontaneous spark that makes this band so infectious (barring a handful of tracks). Nigel Godroch is a great producer, but I've always felt he was completely wrong for them
blurst of times
ride.

Postby bongo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pm

would definitely rather listen to vitalogy than any pavement album
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby Grumby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm

what's funny is that i too of course was not around for pavement being an active band yet when i first listened to them in the two thousands, they didn't seem like a band before my time at all? it's weird. i guess they transitioned just like radiohead from one gen to the next.
Grumby

Postby pissydan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm

i wish terror twilight had a full on shitkicking rock version of the hexx like i saw them do it live.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby Grumby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:03 pm

big zorb wrote:
ripersnifle wrote:i don't have a lot of nuanced opins on SM or this band but the tone on the coda of this track slays me

for sure

this song makes me weep.
Grumby

Postby gandhi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 pm

There's that hexx on the expanded brighten that's better but not by much. I kinda like the schmaltzy terror twilight songs
Hardly revisit pavement but I'd still count them as a favorite
Also haven't really gotten into the last couple jicks albums
gandhi

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Mirror Traffic was decent but didn't really stick with me and Wig Out At Jagbags had some cool stuff but it felt like a bunch of fragments

Mirror Traffic is the only one I have on vinyl in this country tho (I have Face The Truth and Real Emotional Trash back in the states)
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Grumby wrote:what's funny is that i too of course was not around for pavement being an active band yet when i first listened to them in the two thousands, they didn't seem like a band before my time at all? it's weird. i guess they transitioned just like radiohead from one gen to the next.
see, weirdly, being in the same situation as you, i felt the opposite.
Pavement never felt accessible to me as a listener. instead - now here's a #take - they felt imposing in like the same way that canonized classic rock bands felt distant to me and you had to "work" to get them. (see: the Ott review, etc.)
could also have been how cryptic Malkmus was and i was way more of an earnest, proto-millenialwhoop listener, i dunno.

trying to listen to/engage with Pavement felt similar, to me, to like trying to get into the ~headspace~ of people really connecting with early 70s classics. there was a similar amount of critical/legacy baggage, just a different generation's lol.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
ripersnifle

Postby neuartillery » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:11 pm

blurst of times wrote:Terror twilight is good and worth listening to, but I just feel like it's missing the playful, spontaneous spark that makes this band so infectious (barring a handful of tracks). Nigel Godroch is a great producer, but I've always felt he was completely wrong for them

I mentioned this the last time we had a Pavement thread, but I listened to the alternate track listing (Godrich's, as opposed to Spiral Stairs's) last year and it made me like the album a bit more.

I don't mind the schmaltz on TT. Aside from "Speak See Remember," the bigger issue is when they try to be playful and spontaneous, and it feels absolutely forced.

The other versions of "The Hexx" are better.
neuartillery

Postby gandhi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Also just wanna say how much I love AT&T
gandhi

Postby Grumby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 pm

the lyrics thing, yeah.. definitely some references there that i didn't get. but sonically it sounded really "new" to my little kid brain. i hadn't heard guitar playing sound like that, or like... tempos that felt like they completely falling apart. it was just really a sophisticated mess in comparison to shitty pop punk cds i was listening too at the time that were really linear and all sounded the same
Grumby

Postby gandhi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm

really into the b sides and demo crap today
gandhi

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

I like Real Emotional Trash more than Terror Twilight and Brighten the Corners. Wowee Zowee and CR,CR are both in the top mix of my faves.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
Venmo: @hipro because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?
buriedinspace

Postby Mr Spaceship » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 pm

I listened to Pavement probably everyday for like a year in 2007-2008, and I can't really stand to hear them anymore
Mr Spaceship

Postby neely o'hara » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:36 pm

neely o'hara

Postby neely o'hara » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 am

wow this... is bad
neely o'hara

Postby Sobieski » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm

I’ve been thinking about the diss on range life a lot, and have been for some years

in fact I don’t think it’s a diss at all!
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby terminus » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 pm

listening to solo malkmus to own the pig libs
terminus

Postby pissydan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:37 pm

i think pig lib might be the worst title of an album i enjoy.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.
pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 am

neely o'hara wrote:

wow this... is bad

it sounds like malkmus covering can
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 am

that is, sick
shacky

Postby shacky » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 am

probs the best interview in the history of tv
shacky

Postby Autarch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:50 am

revisiting pavement. listening to the albums in reverse chronological order. I still listen to terror twilight and brighten the corners relatively often, but now I'm on wowee zowee, so this is some stuff I haven't listened to in a while. My conclusion is that I love this band.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:17 am

so i finally watched Slow Century a couple weeks ago and it's been almost an all consuming Pavement deep dive into their catalog over the past 2 weeks.

best band. i regret not taking them more seriously when i was in college and they were active.
emotional fascism

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....