Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 pm

i finished playing RE4 again and i Just still can't believe how amazing it is, and it must have been like 100 plays since the Gamecube

it doesn't make sense
outside of the save/empty areas (which I think or to just calm down?) it's almost non-stop set pieces, like almost every room is amazing
nothing has come close to being this good, although I need to replay evil within 1 and play 2 for the first time because several sectinos in EW1 captured the RE4 vibe

i just willl never get over how good that game is
you know what i mean

the village, the village area with all the walkways, the truck, the ski-lift, playing as ashley, the cage you get stuck with a garrador, the dual garradors, the regeneradors, the el gigante, the dual el gigante, the verdugo fight, the elevator to the salazar fight, the krauser cut scene, the "IT" fight, the actual krasuer boss fight (which is my favorite part, its like re/mgs) it's all just amazing

i'm drunk again sorry

i'm about to finish my Code Veronica replay and then do 5-6-7 and will be sober sometime and post more coherent thoughts
but Resident Evil as a hole deserves thread imo
Last edited by Infinite Jost on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Infinite Jost

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 pm

I've never actually tried any of these

if I could just play one (cause goddamn do I need to stop buying games), which would be the best? 7?
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:59 pm

miko mido wrote:the transphobia in code veronica is hilarious/dumb enough to the point where i didnt even feel anything from it. generally thought that was the weakest of the games in the old style but i still had a good time with it. i think 3 is the best due to brevity/the nemesis mechanic. nemesis was such a good concept i dont know how every game didnt copy it for years on end. i should get back into speedrunning it.

still want miyazaki to make a soulslike with a nemesis character

like the SotFS pursuer but not lame
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:I've never actually tried any of these

if I could just play one (cause goddamn do I need to stop buying games), which would be the best? 7?

REmake and 4 you can't go wrong with
REmake HD is on like every platform and, insanely, it looks like the game was just released today, not like a remaster

havent played 7 or the revelations games yet

but REmake/4 should be the entry points
and honestly you have to play 2 if you play 4. before or after. 4 is so disconnected from what came before it that you can just jump in and enjoy the perfect action. but i would either play it now and pick up the RE2 remake or the other way around, but i mean its not like i know how the RE2make is gonna be
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

CHAIRKICKER
Infinite Jost

Postby fester » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

I would say 4 is the best but you may want to play at least the first one or two to get the backstory. It's kind of a direct sequel to RE2.
------------
fester

Postby figaro » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:16 pm

I haven't played CV since it came out on Dreamcast like 18 years ago...I mainly just remember the gold lugers and Steve scenes being hilarious.

I did a 4 replay the other month and did the Ada thing for the first time ever. I really wanna try out the whole HD texture project thing once I get a decent PC

I'll probably do a REmake play next month as I do just about every October. I wish I still had my old copy of RE Directors cut that came with demo for 2. its also been forever since I've played 2 and it stinks I can't get it on like PS4 or something. I definitely need to play it again before the 2 remake comes out.... is the PC port any good?
figaro

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 pm

I shall get 4
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:31 pm

figaro wrote:I haven't played CV since it came out on Dreamcast like 18 years ago...I mainly just remember the gold lugers and Steve scenes being hilarious.

I did a 4 replay the other month and did the Ada thing for the first time ever. I really wanna try out the whole HD texture project thing once I get a decent PC

I'll probably do a REmake play next month as I do just about every October. I wish I still had my old copy of RE Directors cut that came with demo for 2. its also been forever since I've played 2 and it stinks I can't get it on like PS4 or something. I definitely need to play it again before the 2 remake comes out.... is the PC port any good?

both ada sidequests are awesome
it's questionable how long they take, but they're fun as hell

i am biased towards hookshots in games though
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 pm

figaro wrote:I haven't played CV since it came out on Dreamcast like 18 years ago...I mainly just remember the gold lugers and Steve scenes being hilarious.

its still fun imo
ignoring goofiness and transphobia
its an incredibly well designed game, and the jumps between claire and chris are a good idea, and probably better than the full partner system of 5/6
the bosses all rule
Infinite Jost

Postby hologram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 pm

definitely one the best outsider characters to choose on mvc2

hologram
acid casualty

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:51 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:I shall get 4

if you have ps4 its 20 bucks digital which is worth it

i have a physcal copy and those might be even cheaper...let me look into it
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 pm

ok yeah the physcal is the same price basically
i prefer physical discs when possible and since i have prime it doesn't matter since free shipping
but you just have to play RE4 and REmake
Infinite Jost

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 pm

staying up in my grandparents's house after the adults who stridently disallowed violent games went to sleep to play my cousin's playstation and specifically RE2 on their big screen tv is possibly my favorite videogame experience ever. it was like everything i thought was cool and dark and interesting and forbidden was culled into a single thing, and merely playing it was getting away with something

i don't think i've played that particular entry since then and i hope the remaster that's coming out pulls me into that headspace again. RE1 remaster is fantastic

RE4 is super good, yes, but I had a whole lot of fun with RE5 too and that gets a pretty bad rap from most people. as much as an apologist as i am for the series, RE6 did absolutely nothing for me. still haven't played the latest
ahungbunny

Postby worrywort » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 pm

i'm playing RE4 for the first time right now. i don't like the controls at all but other than that it's fun.
worrywort

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:00 am

it's like a completely different game right? more silent hill than resident evil
ahungbunny

Postby ahungbunny » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

worrywort wrote:i'm playing RE4 for the first time right now. i don't like the controls at all but other than that it's fun.

i'm pretty sure that control scheme was revolutionary at the time, that sort of 3rd person, off-centered precision control didn't exist beforehand (and now see dead space, mass effect, etc)
ahungbunny

Postby surly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

4 is the best but 7 is goddamn revelatory
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby figaro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:03 am

I didn't like RE5 just because it was pretty obviously intended to be co-oped and none of my friends at the time it came out (and most of them now still) weren't into games so I played it solo and it just felt like a massive let down following up RE4.

I would like to give RE5 another go again at some point but actually co-op it with some one.
figaro

Postby alaska » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:17 am

How like actually scary are these games...I am a massive coward
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:18 am

i'm gonna out myself and say that 6 rules overall

the chris part kind of sucks

but the Leon (especially the opening), Ada, and Sherry sections all kick a ton of ass
it's a perfect send off that era of the series
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 am

alaska wrote:How like actually scary are these games...I am a massive coward

outside of occasional jump scares like fridgeman and the regeneradores re4 is not scary at all
it can be a lil tense if you're bad and run out of ammo but your knife is OP in that one, so start there
Infinite Jost

Postby alaska » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am

That's so sick...I will try and get my hands on 4. My housemate has a ps4 :twisted:
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 am

my main character RE rankins out of games I've played:

1. Leon Scott Kennedy
2. Ada Wong
3. Claire Redfield
3. Jill Valentine
4. Barry Burton
Edit: Sherry Berkin
5. Hunk (extremely influenced by his neck snap in RE4)
6. Sheva
7. Helena
8. Chris Redield
9. Piers
10. Tofu
11. Jake Wesker
12. Steve Trevor
Infinite Jost

Postby ihateoutdoors » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 am

minor character rankings [OFFICIAL]

1. Mike the chopper pilot
2. everyone else
ihateoutdoors

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 am

mike knew a good bah ;_;
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:03 am

edit: completely incoherent due to blackout drunk, don't even know what i was trying to say
Last edited by Infinite Jost on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:05 am

ahungbunny wrote:
worrywort wrote:i'm playing RE4 for the first time right now. i don't like the controls at all but other than that it's fun.

i'm pretty sure that control scheme was revolutionary at the time, that sort of 3rd person, off-centered precision control didn't exist beforehand (and now see dead space, mass effect, etc)

i'm almost 100% it invented the over the shoulder angle for third person games
Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 am

[quote="laserblast"

that said it's very different in what it's trying to do/not exactly 'resident evil' [/quote]

i feel like this is the point of RE if you think about
i kind of count Code Veronica as IV but other than that
with number games it switches styles every 3 games

like i mean, RE4-6 would not be RE to people rased on RE1-3/CV

you follow what i'm saying to you? you picking up what i'm putting down for you?
Last edited by Infinite Jost on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infinite Jost

Postby Esteban » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:12 am

Definitely a top 10 game of all time for me, hyped REmake 2 will be in this style.
Esteban

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....