Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby grammatron » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Isn't that pun the heart of the joke though?
grammatron

Postby wakeman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am

whoo boy - wind and window
wakeman

Postby wintergreen » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am

wakeman wrote:whoo boy - wind and window

dang, never thought about this.

for a second i thought it might be the oblique case of wind, as with mead/meadow and shade/shadow, but nope.
wintergreen

Postby Kaputt » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Just referred to someone as having a cheesy grin and then realised that it comes from saying cheese when being photographed.
Kaputt

Postby joe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm

grammatron wrote:Isn't that pun the heart of the joke though?

It's a joke about the left-wing media!!!
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby brittle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Denver Post's original editor used to boast, "yeah we're yellow; but at least we're READ!"
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 pm

=3 is a cat face

:shock:
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby jewels » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Kaputt wrote:Just referred to someone as having a cheesy grin and then realised that it comes from saying cheese when being photographed.

Had this one recently too
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby jewels » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Kaputt wrote:Just referred to someone as having a cheesy grin and then realised that it comes from saying cheese when being photographed.

Double post because my fart was way louder than expected and it surprised me
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby hologram » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 pm

the derogatory term "limey" comes from the british navy sucking on limes to prevent scurvy
hologram
acid casualty

Postby mascotte » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:09 pm

jewels wrote:

Double post because my fart was way louder than expected and it surprised me

Not a don don, but fart is a word for luck in Polish.
mascotte

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 am

Bela Lugosi's Dead sounds a bit like I Wanna Be Your Dog
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:18 am

Grey Poupon wrote:Bela Lugosi's Dead sounds a bit like I Wanna Be Your Dog

I always thought it was supposed to sound like a Syd Barret Pink Floyd song.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby Coca Cola » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:42 pm

When something is ribbed it resembles the skin over a rib cage
Coca Cola

Postby number none » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 pm

the skin is not the essential aspect there...
number none

Postby Milk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:55 am

Have had two or three english language don don but just had a big one.

Incessantly.

Now the french word incessament, which i ASSUMED to be the same word because why wouldn't i? ment is how you end adverbs in french so both are the same adverb, well in french it means soon or presently (in its meaning that isn't currently). But i just found out in english incessantly only EVER means persistent, never-ending. I knew about this usage but somehow thought it could also be used the same as in french. And the thing is i'm sure i've used it in english like i would use the french word and probably puzzled people or looked like an idiot (well i'm sure i ddin't do it in speaking). I mean after all these years it sucks there's still shit like this that happens. I should never assume because a word in english seems to have the same etymology, basically is the same, that it necessarily means the same thing. I had another recently but now i forgot what it was.

Like in french i'll do the dishes incessantly would mean i'll do the dishes very soon. Except in english of course i'm saying i'll do the dishes perpetually. Which...is actually factual i suppose.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby pablito » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:00 am

incessant also usually has the connotation that it's in spite of some kind of opposition that the thing is done repeatedly. incessantly taking phone calls at a movie theater for example
rabbit wrote:Preacher drinks jack and eats pussy. That's Good stuff.
pablito

Postby south pacific » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 am

Fuck, I never registered that. Nice one.
went to the theatre for the tickle contest
south pacific

Postby brittle » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 am

what about when you realized the reason parents ask kids to say cheese is because your mouth has to make a smiley shape to pronounce the "ee" part?
Last edited by brittle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brittle

Postby banquo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:02 am

it's more of the ""se" part. if you have trouble pronouncing "s" (if it sounds like "sh" or "th"), you're supposed to shape your mouth in smile
banquo

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

what no, it's the ee part
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby kayke » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:47 pm

Upset that it's wheelbarrow and not wheelbarrel.
I had this whole backstory in my head where the first "wheelbarrel" was a barrel someone cut in half and put wheels on the bottom of in ye olde times. This destroys my narrative.
Apparently "barrow" comes from the word "bearwe" which means "thing used to carry things" aka basket.

"Wheelbarrow" just sounds like Homestar Runner saying "Wheelbarrel" imho.
kayke

Postby banquo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

aububs wrote:what no, it's the ee part

quick internet search is saying ee, but I'm still convinced the s is doing a lot of work here
banquo

Postby Mesh » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:35 pm

south pacific wrote:

Fuck, I never registered that. Nice one.

This seemed...off to me, so I went looking and:

cheesy (adj.) Meaning "cheap, inferior" is attested from 1896, perhaps originally U.S. student slang, along with cheese (n.) "an ignorant, stupid person." In late 19c. British slang, cheesy was "fine, showy" (1858), probably from cheese (n.2) and some suggest the modern derogatory use is an "ironic reversal" of this. The word was in common use in medical writing in the late 19c. to describe morbid substances found in tubers, decaying flesh, etc.
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby Milk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:45 am

pablito wrote:incessant also usually has the connotation that it's in spite of some kind of opposition that the thing is done repeatedly. incessantly taking phone calls at a movie theater for example

Oh yeah.

I had a sort of language don don just now because i thought it's stupid that in english you don't have a specific word for the back of the neck which in french we do and it's nuque and it's when i noticed...oh...neck...nuque....hmm... so that was my don don. Don't know why i never noticed that before. Clearly same etymology. Neck is Cou in french otherwise. But if you grab someone by the back of the neck, it's grabbing them by the nuque (pronounced someoen like nook but not really because the U isn't oo).

But it's still stupid you don't have a specific word for it!
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 am

nevrmind im dumb. It's nape of course. It's late ok and i'm tired. You do have a word. My dun dun still stands though. Neck nuque
Milk

Postby Autarch » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 am

Seminal 1 = influencing future developments in a field
Seminal 2 = of or relating to semen (eg, seminal fluid, seminal vesicles)

Seminal 1 is like semen for abstract things like music genres. eg, Loveless is a seminal shoegaze album. It is like the semen that made shoegaze.

I'm sorry the post had to be this gross.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby bruceagain » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 am

your mum is influencing future developments in the field of catching loads from randos in fields
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.
bruceagain

Postby Coca Cola » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 pm

The name Bianca means white, like blanco/a. Also Blanche but nobody’s named that anymore
Coca Cola

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....