Under the Silver Lake (dir. David Robert Mitchell)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby odilon redon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 am

easy wrote:it follows isn’t dumb enough to work as a lark and not smart enough to be what it’s actually trying to be

i dunno sorry but that movie did absolutely zilch for me

don’t want to be an internet mean but i can’t ignore how comically vapid this bit of movie criticism is like what in the hell is his supposed to even mean lol

could anyone be a pal and up the guest to the db pretty please
Last edited by odilon redon on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
odilon redon

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am

thanks
easy
does it

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

why's everyone in this thread so mad
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:05 am

should I let you edit that again or can I post a reply
easy
does it

Postby odilon redon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:07 am

easy wrote:should I let you edit that again or can I post a reply

lol do what you gotta do
odilon redon

Postby goofjan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:12 am

I'm lukewarm on It Follows, love The Guest, and hated Bellflower.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:16 am

admittedly I remember not a whole lot about It Follows because it was nearly four years ago when I last saw it/thought about it but all I meant by that comment was that the script imposes a not-so-simple set of rules on itself and then stages an increasingly dumber series of set pieces that break The Rules Of The Thing that the movie was very deliberate in communicating, or at the very least suggesting

it's too rules-based for me for me to achieve horror bliss and ultimately too silly to be rules-based in the first place. it's stuck between gears.
easy
does it

Postby elaine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

ive seen all those films but cant figure out why i should be thinking of them right now, but since i'm doing it now i might aswell add American Ultra to that list of films, cause it's the first film i can think about atm
I'm alright, don't nobody worry 'bout me .... BLACK IT OUT... BLACK IT OUT.... BLACK IT ALL OUT

tarantula wrote:yeah, elaine gets it

dvr wrote:I gotta listen to that Chills
elaine

Postby elaine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 am

the only thing I understand is that It definitely follows
I'm alright, don't nobody worry 'bout me .... BLACK IT OUT... BLACK IT OUT.... BLACK IT ALL OUT

elaine

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

I remember enjoying how cheeky the movie is with its anachronisms, and they're certainly fun to chew on, but I wanted a movie that tonally and atmospherically, existed in whatever world the e-reader thing occupies. instead, I got boring exurban sprawl , bad final boss battle, and kids talking funny?? I don't know! not for me!!
easy
does it

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

elaine wrote:the only thing I understand is that It definitely follows

yeah this is spot-on. it follows for sure.
easy
does it

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 am

I also vaguely remember it follows tabling some interesting questions about the differences between certain neighborhoods of detroit and the ostensible effect of the It Following on people of different socioeconomic groups, and then it did...nothing... with any of that?
easy
does it

Postby goofjan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 am

goofjan wrote:I'm lukewarm on It Follows, love The Guest, and hated Bellflower.

hey nathan wrote:ok thx goofjan, I understand it all now, except the spell Under Silverlake has cast o'er me!!!

you're welcome I have a laminated card in my wallet that states my opinions on IF, Guest and Bellflower. Just in case I'm in an accident or something.

man oh man, Bellflower is shit.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby odilon redon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 am

easy i truly don’t mean any offense by this (i’m not mad!) but the way you seemingly react to films is very alien to me
odilon redon

Postby vivian darko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:28 am

easy wrote:I also vaguely remember it follows tabling some interesting questions about the differences between certain neighborhoods of detroit and the ostensible effect of the It Following on people of different socioeconomic groups, and then it did...nothing... with any of that?

this is actually why it follows is good

if the commentary on race/parental fears of miscegenation was more pronounced it would be a much less interesting movie
vivian darko

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am

odilon redon wrote:easy i truly don’t mean any offense by this (i’m not mad!) but the way you seemingly react to films is very alien to me

cool dude thanks for being open to me expand on my thoughts
easy
does it

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 am

vivian darko wrote:
easy wrote:I also vaguely remember it follows tabling some interesting questions about the differences between certain neighborhoods of detroit and the ostensible effect of the It Following on people of different socioeconomic groups, and then it did...nothing... with any of that?

if the commentary on race/parental fears of miscegenation was more pronounced it would be a much less interesting movie

maybe. I can definitely see a timeline where I'm complaining asbout this, to be fair.
easy
does it

Postby G_S » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

Feech La Manna wrote:why's everyone in this thread so mad

idk but I'm kinda loving it

still not forgiving you idiots for the Widows thread tho
G_S

Postby elaine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 am

vivian darko wrote:

yeah, it's supposed to follow, you can't just expect it to be there, then there'd be nothing left to follow and the film would just be called "here it is"

elaine

Postby easy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 am

what if it stopped following, though?

what we need is a gritty reboot where it just fucks off and lives off the grid for a while. maybe learns how to whittle.
easy
does it

Postby elaine » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:33 am

i don't know, man, i think you expect a little too much of It

elaine

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 am

husbands wrote:
palmer eldritch wrote:
pzadvance wrote:except the women in the long goodbye arent ever leered at, let alone made explicitly sexual. in fact all of their interactions with marlowe are pretty domestic and conversational, their topless-ness is utterly incidental and more of a joke on the liberation of the 70s as juxtaposed with marlowe as a man out of time, a 40s throwback. altman and gould even used the term "Rip Van Marlowe" to describe their take on the character

to me it feels like mitchell watched the long goodbye, got horny watching those scenes, and made a movie where his detective gets to fuck one of them -- sweet.

I get that pov but the topless women in The Long Goodbye seemed like they were meant to be leered at by the intended audience cause they seem silly and unnecessary, kind of just tiddies for the sake of it. but fwiw I think neo noir is a really cursed genre for gender politics and to me, this movie was less offensive in depicting females than Inherent Vice was.

this is perhaps the dumbest hipinion yet

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

hey nathan wrote:easy articulated what I thought of It Follows

for those who like It Follows and The Guest, do you like this movie Bellflower too?

oh man, the bellflower

I watched that at a hotel on a work trip. it wasn't very memorable. kind of like, "an ok indie movie." there are a lot of those.
palmer eldritch

Postby manvstrees » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

what if we all start making better posts
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby Mesh » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:41 am

trouble wrote:canonical or chronological?

Almost works both ways.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby Mesh » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:47 am

easy wrote:what if it stopped following, though?

what we need is a gritty reboot where it just fucks off and lives off the grid for a while. maybe learns how to whittle.

hoot.gif
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby odilon redon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:02 pm

regardless of our petty differences, what really counts is that we all agree that under the silver lake is a try hard awful movie that objectifies women :)
odilon redon

Postby Coca Cola » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:42 pm

why did i watch this and that last cronenberg b2b last night. i didnt hate watching it but yeah i wouldnt call this movie, like, very good
Coca Cola

Postby futurist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:11 pm

It Follows is amazing on so many levels.

this is shit on even more levels.

this had some amazing little stylistic choices i liked but beyond that wasn't at all redeemable.
futurist

Postby futurist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:22 pm

mellowgold wrote:
goofjan wrote:The Guest is so good.

ew
futurist

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....