Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:43 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Taiwanese beef noodle soup

jesus. got a recipe?
shizaam

Postby WAC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm

That pizza looks awesome
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

shizaam wrote:
That Demon Life wrote:Taiwanese beef noodle soup

jesus. got a recipe?

So I started with this:

https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/04/taiwa ... stant-pot/

But did it in a stockpot on the stove instead (which it lists the changes for) and then made some tweaks:

-used bone-in shank and after cutting the meat from the bone I seared the bones in the pot before anything else, removed it and then put the bones bones back into the pot when the water and spices went in to get the marrow in there

-did my own spices in cheesecloth which were what they list if you do that, plus cloves

-added some Thai bird peppers, sliced and de-seeded

-strained the broth through a fine mesh strainer afterwards, picked out the meat and dumped the aromatics and bones

The garnishes are Pickled mustard greens that I chopped up and sautéed in Sichuan chili oil, green onion and bok choy.
That Demon Life

Postby Franco » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:32 pm

TDL that pizza is worthy of applause
Franco

Postby truncated » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

powderfinger wrote:got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack

how'd you go about seasoning it?

I got one in the fall and did a bunch of coats of flax oil but it didn't seem right/completely seasoning after a few uses (1st time or two was a charm but then it faded fast) so I've shelved it for a while
truncated

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Franco wrote:TDL that pizza is worthy of applause

Thanks, man. Genuinely appreciated. I haven't tried hard at many things in my life. I worked on this one. Haha.
That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks for the cookbook reccs!!! I am giving sectarianism a shot --- I cooked about 75% vegetarian at home anyway, so it won't be a huge transition, but just wanted to get better ideas.

Not a great pic, but this vegan cassoulet was ridiculously good.
conductor

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm

conductor wrote:Thanks for the cookbook reccs!!! I am giving sectarianism a shot --- I cooked about 75% vegetarian at home anyway, so it won't be a huge transition, but just wanted to get better ideas.

Not a great pic, but this vegan cassoulet was ridiculously good.

I love Cassoulet so, so much. I made it with duck about 6 months ago, but I'd love a vegetarian recipe if you don't mind sharing.
That Demon Life

Postby powderfinger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:45 pm

truncated wrote:
powderfinger wrote:got a Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan for Christmas and have never fallen so hard for a piece of cookware; cast iron is losing its place on the pot rack

how'd you go about seasoning it?

I got one in the fall and did a bunch of coats of flax oil but it didn't seem right/completely seasoning after a few uses (1st time or two was a charm but then it faded fast) so I've shelved it for a while

I followed random YouTuber's instructions and seasoned it in the oven for the better part of an afternoon with two coats of sunflower oil (since it's what I have). I promptly scraped a bunch of the seasoning off with a metal utensil by accident but despite that it seems nonstick after a few uses.

I was expecting the nonstick performance but the evenness of the heat is much more impressive than I expected. Waaaaay better than cast iron on my induction range, which has a steep temperature gradient between the center and edges even after lengthy preheating. It's pretty damn close to clad stainless steel. Breakfast food looks and tastes like I'm cooking on a real griddle.
powderfinger

Postby conductor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:46 pm

https://feedmephoebe.com/vegetarian-cassoulet-recipe/!

Your soup post on this page is destroying me. I lived in Shanghai and intensely miss 5 or 6 dishes, and one of them is a huge, oily bowl of beef noodle soup.
conductor

Postby Franco » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm

That Demon Life wrote:

Thanks, man. Genuinely appreciated. I haven't tried hard at many things in my life. I worked on this one. Haha.

I haven’t followed the journey,,,that’s just a standard oven with a stone or what?
Franco

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Franco wrote:
That Demon Life wrote:

I haven’t followed the journey,,,that’s just a standard oven with a stone or what?

Yep. Only equipment is standard (old ass) oven, pizza stone, peel and food processor (I have a stand mixer, but I actually think the food processor works better for this dough after using both, and by hand, many times).
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:11 pm

conductor wrote:https://feedmephoebe.com/vegetarian-cassoulet-recipe/!

Your soup post on this page is destroying me. I lived in Shanghai and intensely miss 5 or 6 dishes, and one of them is a huge, oily bowl of beef noodle soup.

Thanks! That's going on the list for recipes this month.
That Demon Life

Postby brittle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

my attempt at veggie ramen.

the recipe was really vague though, and i think i used to much mushroom, so the broth ended up like a gravy. but since i've never eaten real ramen, i have no idea if it was any good or not.

i think i would have preferred a silkier, more transparent broth, but i still can't wait to finish it off throughout the week.
brittle

Postby That Demon Life » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Looks delicious to me.
That Demon Life

Postby brittle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

I mixed some water and soy sauce with the leftover both and got it pretty much exactly how I like it.

Can't stop thinking about it :shock:
brittle

Postby Conetoaster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:16 am

conductor wrote:Does anyone have essential vegetarian cookbooks? I currently have Deborah Madison and the two "A modern way..." books, plus a few Indian books.

Meera Sodha has a real good indian cookbook and her recipes in the guardian are usually excellent too.
Conetoaster

Postby That Demon Life » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:50 pm

brittle wrote:I mixed some water and soy sauce with the leftover both and got it pretty much exactly how I like it.

Can't stop thinking about it :shock:

I haven't made ramen before. I was actually thinking about doing a tonkatsu ramen some time soon. Are you vegetarian?
That Demon Life

Postby rushedbehind » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 am

brittle wrote:
my attempt at veggie ramen.

man that looks delicious
rushedbehind

Postby fuckyoudad » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 am

I did kenjis vegan ramen a few years back and it turned out so fucking good
Note: mildly comedic.
fuckyoudad

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Had shrimp and wanted something fried, so I made some Chinese style fried shrimp (aka used corn starch in the batter, I guess that counts) with homemade peanut sauce and Thai chili "aioli"

That Demon Life

Postby conductor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Man I didn't take a picture but I made spinach tortellini with a walnut/pecorino sauce tonight. Won't ever do it again without a buddy because of the labor, but could probably convince myself to do ravioli solo because the flavor was incredible.
conductor

Postby That Demon Life » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Is pho even worth making or should I just always run right up the street and buy some for cheap?
That Demon Life

Postby easy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:01 pm

it’s rewarding as hell but it takes a while and i’ve never made it better at home than I’ve had it from a cheap place that specializes in it
easy
does it

Postby jbiz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:48 am

beef stew yesterday. so good, and great day for it.

jbiz

Postby mich » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

That Demon Life wrote:Is pho even worth making or should I just always run right up the street and buy some for cheap?

It’ll definitely cost you more to make it yourself. If you have good beef pho available to you at a restaurant, making it at home is usually just for the satisfaction of being able to do it.

I highly recommend doing quicker chicken phos at home when you have leftover chicken/bones though. It’s not the same as beef but it’s much faster and economical especially if you’re using scraps. I rarely purposefully make pho at home, but if I have chicken lying around it’s something I’ll throw together.
mich

Postby That Demon Life » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks, yeah we have a pretty big Vietnamese population here and like 20 pho places. I'll try out the chicken pho with leftover bones sometime for sure, though.
That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Girlfriend is gone for the week, which gives me free reign to be a fatass and steal her frozen Arby's curly fries so I made poutine with some homemade beef stock gravy and the leftover whole milk mozzarella from making pizzas.

That Demon Life

Postby viachicago » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:45 pm

obamas short ribs
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... short-ribs

i did eventually puree the sauce but not really necessary
viachicago

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm

what'd you do with the rest of him
Ferrous Bueller

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....