Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:00 pm

antoine wrote:Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) - This movie is so underrated. I don't get why people hate it. I mean, I do get it but there's a ton of great stuff in this, especially in the Assembly version which I hadn't seen before. Honestly think I like this better than Aliens, which I find cheesy in a lot of ways. The setup and the last 20 minutes of Aliens is amazing but I feel like it drags in the middle and the Marines kind of annoy me. The story in 3 is more intriguing and there's a lot of great character work. I especially love Charles Dance's performance. 8.5/10.

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby loaf angel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Cold Pursuit was a weird as fuck movie. def a future FX Sunday afternoon banger
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby walt whitman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am

climax-
cooooooooooooool

walt whitman

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Will anyone here mount a defense of Jane Campion's In The Cut?

furrowed brow

Postby antoine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Alien Resurrection (1997) - I had only seen parts of this before, never watched the whole thing. This film is...odd. I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would. It's definitely not a great Alien movie, but it's reasonably entertaining and there's some nice shots and set pieces. The choice of director is really weird and I don't think he was a good fit for the franchise but it's kind of a mildly enjoyable oddity. 6.5/10.

antoine

Postby iacus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 pm

All seen over the past week
Water & Power - Pat O'neill
This didn't exactly stick with me too hard but I was pretty enraptured by the imagery the whole time. My experience watching this was fairly similar to my experience with The Grand Bizarre in that I was continually enthralled with the imagery and mostly annoyed with the soundtrack - and since the sound design is so tightly embedded into the visual structure of both films I was unable to get fully on board with either one.

The Man Who Stole the Sun - Kazuhiko Hasegawa
The real knockout film I watched this week. Deeply charming, alternatively a dead serious thriller about a lone madman with a nuclear bomb, a very silly character driven action film with a rock star in the lead role and some marvelous musical montages, and a broadish political satire of social mores. The production history and talent involved (kiyoshi kurosawa and shinji somai were both asst directors for this) make it a precursor/harbinger for Japanese cinema of the 90s and beyond. The way it handles tone and genre is striking and inspiring. Just a fantastic unabashed blockbuster of a movie.

Gilsoddeum - Im Kwon-Taek
Really great. A powerful and straightforward recitation of deeply tragic events punctuated by a killer soundtrack and some very tasteful cinematography.

A Summer at Grandpa's - Hou Hsiao-Hsien
I'm making a project to watch all of Hou Hsiao-Hsien (and more Taiwanese film in general) this year. I feel like HHH's magical eye for framing and sense of rhythm was fully developed by this stage, but the story is frankly boring and the tone is all over the damn place in an unpleasant way (the fucking hemorrhoids joke??). The best is yet to come (I hope).
(there was a hyperbole)

iacus

Postby neuartillery » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

antoine wrote:Alien Resurrection (1997) - I had only seen parts of this before, never watched the whole thing. This film is...odd. I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would. It's definitely not a great Alien movie, but it's reasonably entertaining and there's some nice shots and set pieces. The choice of director is really weird and I don't think he was a good fit for the franchise but it's kind of a mildly enjoyable oddity. 6.5/10.

I somehow had a poster for Alien Resurrection in my room in high school, I assume because it was one of two posters I had acquired (I got a big Wowee Zowee poster later).

There’s a sequence in AR that’s similar to a sequence in Deep Blue Sea and I feel like calling AR the Deep Blue Sea of the Alien movies is accurate. It’s reasonably enjoyable and I like the Jeunot regulars.

neuartillery

Postby neuartillery » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

I watched Overlord last night. The first half was slower than I expected, starts out like Band of Brothers then comes closer to parts of Inglourious Basterds before the horror stuff kicks in. Not necessarily complaining about the pace, but it’s a long 1:50. Wyatt Russell has some percentage of his dad’s charisma and that helps.

neuartillery

Postby antoine » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:37 pm

neuartillery wrote:
antoine wrote:Alien Resurrection (1997) - I had only seen parts of this before, never watched the whole thing. This film is...odd. I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would. It's definitely not a great Alien movie, but it's reasonably entertaining and there's some nice shots and set pieces. The choice of director is really weird and I don't think he was a good fit for the franchise but it's kind of a mildly enjoyable oddity. 6.5/10.

There’s a sequence in AR that’s similar to a sequence in Deep Blue Sea and I feel like calling AR the Deep Blue Sea of the Alien movies is accurate.

Yeah I thought of Deep Blue Sea during that part too. It's ironic because I think Renny Harlin was signed on to direct Alien 3 at one point. Then they got an even more eccentric Euro weirdo to direct AR.

antoine

Postby Seamus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm

lego movie 2 was fine but definitely had a severe slump in the middle

i've watched a lot of movies recently without loving any (three colours: blue was really good though) but i need to give special mention to what an absolute piece of shit movie the mule is. fuck that film.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Executioners (Johnny To, 1993)

The sequel to The Heroic Trio that was put together and released about 7 months after the first one. In the intervening time, there's been a nuclear holocaust and one of the women grew a kid. Now they have to... reunite because of a scheme to control the clean water supply and take over the government, basically everything sucks, but not really too bad overall as far as things can go after a nuclear detonation. It's b-movie satisfying aesthetic in every way, from the cheap soundtrack, to the skewed angles, noticeably artificial lighting, random onset of slow motion, and if it's a night scene yes fam you're gonna set the blue filter and the fog machine to max. I really appreciate that it never, ever, tries to seem like it's not a movie. But it's not as good as the first one, it's not quite as nutty (while it does occasionally dip into weird shit), and the dynamics between the trio can't live up to the set-up in the first movie, and really no one just seems that into being there on screen, except whoever is playing the villain. Oh, that's Anthony Wong, of course. They really should have given him more scenes. The worst fault it has, though, is there just isn't enough kung fu. Instead, everyone is shooting dumb looking automatic rifles all the time. Still, if you don't hold it up to the standard of the first one, I can't really complain.

palmer eldritch

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

When are they gonna make a Lego Star Wars? I need to see lego Rey and BB-8.

furrowed brow

Postby neuartillery » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm

furrowed brow wrote:When are they gonna make a Lego Star Wars? I need to see lego Rey and BB-8.

There are Lego Star Wars video games, I kind of assume that's as close as you're going to get.

neuartillery

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm

I don't honestly see why they wouldn't do it. Once the new trilogy is wrapped up it seems like it would be a money maker, but maybe the actors wouldn't be down for it given Issac and Driver will be winning oscars soon, I'd hazard to guess, and Ridley obv is a huge star too.

furrowed brow

Postby Franco » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Why did more than one person say LEGO 2 bummed them out? What’s that about

Bc it’s bad? Or worse

Franco

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 am

Franco wrote:Why did more than one person say LEGO 2 bummed them out? What’s that about

Bc it’s bad? Or worse

less funny than the og. kind of boring.

but huge disclaimer - I only watched the first 45 minutes because my kid was terrified by it and wanted to leave. it's not scary at all. I said "you can just cover your eyes if you think a bit is scary" and he said "NO, i NEVER want to see this movie again" so we left. lol
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 am

Eighth Grade - 2018

I mostly only watch genre movies anymore, but this had a similar pacing/days-in-the-life vignette vibe as Sean Baker flicks; it had a similar listlessness as Florida Project, except there's something of an arc for the lead, which requires a narrative throughline. Depictions of anxiety really resonated with me and felt honest. I also think that the scene with the dad in the fire pit could have been really fake-cathartic and contrived/manipulative but ended up feeling p earnest. That's kind of what you need from a parent - to just be able to say the right thing at the right time to add some clarify and get you through a spot. Iunno. I'm a 31 yr old gay white guy so so there's privilege and distance from this.

Wild Bill - 1995

Walter Hill is legit one of the greatest American directors. That guy had an unassailable early run from Hard Times to Streets of Fire. Everything was good-to-great. He's also a classicist in the midst of new hollywood where masculinity was about being disaffected and alienated, whereas Hill's protagonists were stoic, interior, assured and validated by their proficiency in a craft. He borrowed from Melville while all his peers were aping godard and truffaut. His take on characters, classically, was "stick a gun in a character's face and see how they react; that tells you everything you need to know about them." He's a big deal to me.

What's a bummer is that Hill's '90s stuff gets kinda lost. Some of it was p rough (Last Man Standing, Supernova), but Trespass is a minor victory for him and Wild Bill stands up with Driver, Southern Comfort and Long Riders as one of his best. It's got this dour, fatalist tone because you know exactly how it ends, and it's all working toward that. Bridges is a guy who has virtually no interiority - just continually lashing out and living off his legend while simultaneously dismantling it at every turn. This works its way out by having Bill's exploits enthusiastically narratived and retold by groupies and town drunks - each time, the event becoming more grandiose. It all culminates in Bill being shot down while his card playing partner rambles on about a past event, with the rambling becoming louder and non-diagetic. It's as if the fiction is swallowing up the man, who's being killed (literally). There's a performativity in play, where he has to be Wild Bill for show because it's what he's done for so long. The high contrast black-and-white flashback scenes are sometimes recollections and sometimes potential fever dreams - all of it dubious.

The sets were all built for this movie. Many of them were reused for Deadwood a decade later (the pilot of which Hill directed, and he provided story notes to Milch in the first season). It's all mud-caked, wet and layered. Everything has a tan/brown hue to it. Kilmer was the most fun, but Bridges' performance is the gold standard of '90s neo-westerns - an entirely unlikeable, barely sympathetic, degenerating man who acts out all of his feelings in violence and defiance. Hill populates all of his movies with the best parts for the role (and his normal crew - James Remar gets in here as a hitman; Bruce Dern gets a cameo; Keith Carradine gets a brief shine as Buffalo Bill in his tryout for this movie's titular role in Deadwood years later). Hill also keeps his laconic guy paired with loquacious guy dynamic with John Hurt as Bill's handler; their vibe is interesting, because Hurt is p much the diplomat who attempts to diffuse all the tense situations Bill manufactures. Hill's script alludes to this being more successful in the past, but as Bill marches on to his inevitable death, he's less amenable to playing into Hurt's negotiator routine.

It's a fucking great movie. It deserves to be mentioned among Hill's best and, legit, is probably the high water mark for the '90s U.S. western revival (and I say that as a staunch lover of Tombstone, but they're vastly different. It has more in common with Unforgiven, but is infinitely better as a dirge for the lead).
As a reader of historical naval fiction,

https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy

Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby Mesh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:20 am

aububs wrote:
Franco wrote:Why did more than one person say LEGO 2 bummed them out? What’s that about

Bc it’s bad? Or worse

less funny than the og. kind of boring.

but huge disclaimer - I only watched the first 45 minutes because my kid was terrified by it and wanted to leave. it's not scary at all. I said "you can just cover your eyes if you think a bit is scary" and he said "NO, i NEVER want to see this movie again" so we left. lol

Re: getting bummed out, the end of the movie goes for kind of a we can all defy Trump's America if we just stick together vibe, which is like YEEAAAAAH THANX.Toggle Spoiler It's by no means terrible and it does have a very saggy middle. I was telling people it felt like 78 characters to track through a 9 act structure and I fell asleep for 6 and 7. Has its moments though.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 am

that message coming out of Chris Pratt's mouth sounds like shit

Franco

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:42 am

if you told me a decade ago that I would grow to intensely dislike chris pratt, I would not have believed you
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby milano boy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 am

yea freakin same

milano boy

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am

what is the reason for the chris pratt hate?

i mean besides the anti-gay church thing which is completely legit but just happened in the past week
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:46 am

it's the church thing, but has been known for longer than a week

Franco

Postby aububs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

ah, ok

yeah that's heinous
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby Franco » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am

He's a pretty boring "movie star" too imo. Surprising given the charms of andy dwyer

Franco

Postby furrowed brow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 am

idk why I remember this but someone on here posted a photo of him looking in the direction of an american flag looking very patriotic and sordid affair (i think) said something like "it creeps me out the way he's staring at that flag."

that basically sums up chris pratt for me. to put it a different way, in a universe slightly different from our Chris Pratt IS The American Sniper.

furrowed brow

Postby tgk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 am

emmet is an extremely boring and cliched character, the typical stumbling male lead who doesn't listen to anyone and screws everything up so everyone else has to fix his shit and then he finally gets his moment of redemption by the end. movie would have been exponentially better without him, the sisters lego creations were all far more interesting and they could have had it pay major dividends if they were willing to make pt 2 all about the sisters story instead of still making it about the brother/emmet.

tgk

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm

are yall really talking this much about the fucking second lego movie who the hell cares
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Yeah, let's get back to talking about Can You Ever Forgive Me?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby mellowgold » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:22 pm

no lets not your posts proved youre a moron
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....