Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Mesh » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Basic plot question: Did the lottery balls select just that one guy who screamed while being burned alive?Toggle Spoiler
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Meeps » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm

I think the lottery selected a random Hargas citizen, and then Dani had to choose either that citizen or Christian to become the final sacrifice.

Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.
Toggle Spoiler
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm

This was fantastic. The cinematography/framing reminded me a lot of Jodorowsky, weirdly enough, and I agree with everyone who said that the film favored atmospheric dread over anything really scary.
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby WAC » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 am

Meeps wrote:Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.[/spoiler]

He was?
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.

WAC

Postby tonybricker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:00 am

Meeps wrote:I think the lottery selected a random Hargas citizen, and then Dani had to choose either that citizen or Christian to become the final sacrifice.

Actually I'm kind of confused why the guy who screamed was sacrificed. It was said he brought offerings, so he was to be sacrificed as well, but I'm pretty sure Simon and Connie were brought by Ingemar. Maybe it was because he killed Mark and Josh? He was the one wearing Mark's face earlier.
Toggle Spoiler

The screaming guy volunteered, and then seemed to regret it

I thought the malformed painter oracle guy was the guy who was wearing Mark’s face
Toggle Spoiler

tonybricker

Postby Locke » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:10 am

there's no way that face was fitting on the Oracle. in the same vein, was the Oracle in the same room during the sex scene? i don't think they were

Locke

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:06 am

RIXX wrote:I loved the upside down camera shot of the car driving thru the forest. felt like an inversion of the shining aerial. so ominous.

this upside down car driving shot was done in another movie recently and it's been annoying me ever since that I can't remember what it is. I think it was another horror movie. may not have been super recent
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:16 am

wait I think it might have been The Hole in the Ground
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby manvstrees » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:00 am

so after talking out of my ass as is my wont, i do want to say that i cannot believe fuckin nighthawk didn't show this video in the content before the show

((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 am

easy wrote:it really felt like at least 30% of the dialogue in this was ADR

Most films are.

tricksforchips

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 am

aububs wrote:
RIXX wrote:I loved the upside down camera shot of the car driving thru the forest. felt like an inversion of the shining aerial. so ominous.

this upside down car driving shot was done in another movie recently and it's been annoying me ever since that I can't remember what it is. I think it was another horror movie. may not have been super recent

Aronofsky does this shot a lot. Used it a lot in The Fountain.

tricksforchips

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 am

tricksforchips wrote:
aububs wrote:

Aronofsky does this shot a lot. Used it a lot in The Fountain.

I always think of the 90°-shifted streets from Bringing Out the Dead.

Mesh

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

shankly wrote:I never thought much of Haxan Cloak before, but I really loved the score for this

The "Attestupan" track especially reenacts that scene in my head.

Mesh

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am

oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away

yeah sorry this is on the tip of my brain too

Mesh

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Wasn’t the upside down car in US?
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:Wasn’t the upside down car in US?

i didn't see Us so it's def not that for me at least

that camera flip thing is killing me
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:oh what am i thinking of where the car is coming toward the camera upside-down but then it flips so it's rightside up as you watch the car drive away

It's just a cool tilt -- don't think it has a name.

here it is in the fountain:

https://youtu.be/dAuxryJ6pv8?t=114

tricksforchips

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:58 pm

ah shit i think that must be it

( i love that movie :oops: )

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Tar Pit » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:57 pm

I didn’t finish reading but the boyfriend getting dusted and not reacting/not being able to react was very appropriate, almost on the nose reference of his indifference/lack of support of his girlfriend.Toggle SpoilerReally loved this but I gotta reflect some more. Also Chidi!Toggle Spoiler

Tar Pit

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:44 am

This probably has a real obvious answer that i’m just missing but who is the naked dude that enters the sacred text room at night when josh is taking pictures of it? I assumed it was Mark the first time, but Mark’s face has already been skinned off and worn by the oracle (?) at this point, and there’s no way he doesn’t bleed out and die immediately from that, he’s not stumbling around naked without a face (maybe he is idk)Toggle Spoiler

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:18 am

i think it was the oracle, or one of the other culties, wearing marks faceToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby carlagain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 am

god her smile at the end made the whole thing, I love when a movie has a shot that kinda supersedes everything whether at the end or whenever. I had a good time watching this, it seemed clear to me that she was going to have a good time of it and I just was just gleefully waiting for whatever happens to boyfriend. the ending felt similar to Hereditary in a negative way. super into the brightness and the violence. and the tripping. and flowersToggle Spoiler
carlagain

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am

aububs wrote:i think it was the oracle, or one of the other culties, wearing marks faceToggle Spoiler

OHHHH wtf why did i think there were three people in the room ahaha i’m so dumbToggle Spoiler

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 am

@carl

yeah smile was good. often when I'm watching a movie and it's near the end i'll say in my head "ok end NOW" at the precise moment it should end. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. midsommar ended at the exact moment it should haveToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:34 am

RIXX wrote:
aububs wrote:i think it was the oracle, or one of the other culties, wearing marks faceToggle Spoiler

OHHHH wtf why did i think there were three people in the room ahaha i’m so dumbToggle Spoiler

no I think there were three people in the room because he got bashed on the head while he was looking at naked guyToggle Spoiler
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:36 am

The shot of the yellow triangle structure completely on fire with Dani choking and stumbling and falling over in the giant flower mound costume with the out of focus harga losing their minds and running in and out of focus immediately became one of my favorite images in cinema, just so surreal and beautiful and iconic, it’s probably what will stick with me the longestToggle Spoiler

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:39 am

aububs wrote:
RIXX wrote:

no I think there were three people in the room because he got bashed on the head while he was looking at naked guyToggle Spoiler

so naked guy in doorway is oracle wearing mark’s face. Guy in shadows to the right of Josh who bashes him in the head, we don’t ever see but probably the old man with him and the scrolls earlier in the day? Or just whatever underling carries out the murders. I guess I had assumed it was naked Josh mask guy who also hit him in the head, because thats what we cut to immediately after, him peering down at himToggle Spoiler

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby aububs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:45 am

that was pretty much my read of it, yeah
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby carlagain » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:46 am

movie makes me happy. great protagonist and performance. the may queenToggle Spoiler
carlagain

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....