MARVEL® - Sheriff Hopper IS Red Guardian!

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Viz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm

surly wrote:
kirito wrote:also it's called one more day :geek:

one more day is awesome, brand new day comes after that and fuckin stoooooooinks (although mr negative is cool)

Whoops!

And on the One More Day entry on wikipedia — "Widely considered as the worst Spider-Man story of all time," LOL.
Viz

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

the spidey movies have really excelled in the character moments within the action sequences. like, I keep watching the plane fight from Homecoming not for the action (which is perfectly fine action) but for the moment when Keaton notices Peter in the security cam and he pauses for a second and then lets out a frustrated AAARRRGG!!

or in FFH when Peter blocks/avoids the final gunshot from Beck- you see Peter's face and the guy is just trembling. his eyes are perfect. he's just been through some shit. the action may not be mind blowing (save for a few sequences like the Mysterio illusion trap) but the character moments are what make these movies so special.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby surly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Viz wrote:
surly wrote:

one more day is awesome, brand new day comes after that and fuckin stoooooooinks (although mr negative is cool)

Whoops!

And on the One More Day entry on wikipedia — "Widely considered as the worst Spider-Man story of all time," LOL.

what it meant for the series itself was awful--it basically killed decades of character building and continuity, but i thought absent that, the actual story was well done
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 pm

should i finally watch the garfield spidey movies or will they just make me sick

shacky

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

skip the garfield spidey movies, watch the garfield the cat movies.

goofjan

Postby kirito » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:49 pm

his suit in the second one is pretty cool

that's the one good thing about either of them

kirito

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:06 pm

yikes

shacky

Postby Drinky » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

I liked the Garfield/Emma Stone stuff in the first one.

Still haven’t watched the second one. They’re pretty ugly movies.

Drinky

Postby Seamus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:51 pm

I did not rate Homecoming as highly as most of you but I enjoyed it. But I've really got to disagree with the consensus here and say I thought this was very much mid-tier MCU, and would have been lower if not for the Mysterio illusion setpiece and the performances of Holland, Zendaya and Gyllenhaal.

I know you guys are shat on that review from a few pages back but for the first half hour the Lizzy McGuire comparison is apt. I love high school humour, but stuff like Ned's relationship was terrible. So many jokes missed completely, I can't remember a MCU movie getting so few laughs from the audience. With the jokes seemingly aimed at a younger target audience than most MCU stuff, it was weird to then contrast that with one of the darkest and scariest sequences (the illusion) in the MCU movies.

A lot of the supporting cast, like Ned, were underused or literally only in the movie for jokes which didn't hit. Like Flash exists solely to point his phone at things? (yeah I'm aware there was a line trying to justify this, doesn't make it any better)

As good as Holland and Zendaya are, they don't have any chemistry, awkward or otherwise. The whole Europe trip was just a mindless race to see how many cities they could trash, it never added any texture to the plot.

The plot was too loose as well. Like Aunt May is actively encouraging Peter to take his suit abroad? Sure. The spider sense thing needed more through line, like some of you have discussed. The big set up for the new suit was a huge anti climax.

But like I mentioned above, the illusion setpiece ruled. I thought Gyllenhaal did a really good job as Mysterio as a whole and he was one of the more menacing villains from the MCU. I enjoyed the echo of Tony when Peter got to grips making his suit. Like I mentioned, Holland and Zendaya were really good, chemistry aside, and Holland is still the best embodiment of a live action Spidey, I just don't think this movie showcased it to it's fullest.
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby kirito » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 pm

i laughed when they showed flash's phone screen and someone in the livestream chat was like "why does this guy have so many viewers?"

kirito

Postby Montague Terrace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

FFH kind of sucked. Kind of predictable and not as funny or actiony as the first.

Montague Terrace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:14 pm

surly wrote:

This is the opposite of the truth. (though I will say 'Back in Black' right before OMD is under-rated in the fact that it's as bad or worse)
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

Vote on the Best Album of 2019:
https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132517

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:19 pm

I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

I'd put it in the mid-tier. Did like Jake and the other main performances. Some of the jokes were good. Mysterio sequence ruled but also, it was one of those things that ended up a set piece that wasn't really revisited? I know Peter essentially conquers it via tingle in that one scene but that he never had to face it again at full strength and overcome it seemed a little anticlimactic.

I think we're more likely to get Sinister Six in a Spider-Verse sequel. Kinda wish they could do a Spider-Man/X-Men: Into the Mojoverse sequel tbh

buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Gargan's gotta come back for a sequel
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm

buriedinspace wrote:I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

I'd put it in the mid-tier. Did like Jake and the other main performances. Some of the jokes were good. Mysterio sequence ruled but also, it was one of those things that ended up a set piece that wasn't really revisited? I know Peter essentially conquers it via tingle in that one scene but that he never had to face it again at full strength and overcome it seemed a little anticlimactic.

I think we're more likely to get Sinister Six in a Spider-Verse sequel. Kinda wish they could do a Spider-Man/X-Men: Into the Mojoverse sequel tbh

man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Bartatua wrote:Gargan's gotta come back for a sequel

no gargan or shocker was definitely a letdown, spidey busting someone in new york in the first act would have been fun

kirito

Postby Drinky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick

Or FF or Dr Strange. Something big and cosmic or surreal/magical.

Drinky

Postby badhat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:24 pm

when FFH dropped and everybody was tweeting about the mindblowing post credit tease, i was so desperately hoping it was a vortex opening up with miles and spiderham and spidergwen etc being all “get in...”
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby shacky » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Daley and Goldstein should not have been dropped, that's the real difference between films

shacky

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:
buriedinspace wrote:I thought this was all right but didn't feel like it flowed very well. Felt like there were a lot of plots going on at once and they didn't all converge particularly well.

man an X-Men movie done by the Spidey-Verse people would be so sick

Yeah, I think X-Men teaming with Miles and Gwen in the Mojoverse is kinda perfect? Introduce Longshot and have a diverse young X-Men lineup (X-23, Kitty, black or Latina young Dazzler, Dani, Sunspot, Doug, Warlock and Armor?) plus the classic X-Men as X-Babies? I think it'd be ideal as a brand extension.

buriedinspace

Postby scrambled » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Celiac wrote:The Illusion sequence is the best part of the movie, probably my favorite sequence in any marvel movie

it was so fucking cool - felt very like a claremont-esque comic book come to life in this really gorgeous way. esp that bit where it becomes a snowglobe which becomes mysterio's head, felt like a 1978 comic book cover.

such a good time at the moviessss - tom holland really is just so good.

scrambled

Postby shame dawg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Really great posts last page by everyone - my 2 cents from my experience would be that I never really felt like spider man had a terribly difficult time at any point in this movie, aside from the illusion trap scene of course. Also kind of felt like Mysterio was on borrowed time the second he left that projector behind, any momentum/menace faded pretty quickly - although his resulting determination in spite of this worked on its own level for me, I get it.

I liked it, but Homecoming was just tighter all around to me. Also not sure why the credits stuff is getting such a holy shit reaction online.

shame dawg

Postby scrambled » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:45 am

oh also for all my euphoria-heads, i totally freaked out at that zendaya shot at the carnival

scrambled

Postby werd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Jake g is so good

I didn’t like how they wrote zendaya in this one, she felt younger than last movie
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck

werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby goofjan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:57 am

lots of rumors floating around about next week's SDCC presentation.

I know it's extremely unlikely but with Strange 2 using Nightmare as the villain, could be a good time to introduce Sleepwalker.

goofjan

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:27 am

Among the rumors currently on the Marvel Spoilers sub are:

- Hugh Jackman as Doom or Nightmare
- David Harbour as Ben Grimm
- Aja Naomi King as Ororo in BP2
- Feige open to integrating Netflix characters / actors into future movies
- Something about how the Disney / Sony Spidey deal stipulates that FFH needs to make x amount of money for Disney to continue using the character.

reversemigraine

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am

After this weekend, Endgame is 7 million away from the worldwide Box Office record

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:19 am

reversemigraine wrote:- Something about how the Disney / Sony Spidey deal stipulates that FFH needs to make x amount of money for Disney to continue using the character.

By next weekend, it'll be the highest grossing Spider-Man film worldwide and is likely to be the first ever billion dollar Spidey film. Unless this threshold is above 'considerably better than any other film in the franchise', gonna guess Sony is all good

buriedinspace

Postby virile » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:33 am

https://www.slashfilm.com/spider-man-contract/

this says they gotta clear a billy
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby goofjan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 am

my gut reaction to these:

- Hugh Jackman as Doom or Nightmare: Nope. No way.
- David Harbour as Ben Grimm: Proooobably not.
- Aja Naomi King as Ororo in BP2: Nah.
- Feige open to integrating Netflix characters / actors into future movies: Yeah maybe.
- Something about how the Disney / Sony Spidey deal stipulates that FFH needs to make x amount of money for Disney to continue using the character.: Clear a billion, right? It's definitely gonna clear a billion so it's a moot point.

It's so depressing that Sony probably secretly wants control of Spidey revert back to them so they can make a Tom Holland Spidey / Tom hardy Venom movie, which would be dumb as hell.

goofjan

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....