fuck guns

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bob511 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 pm

No, that still seems selfishly counterproductive.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.
User avatar

Bob511
 
Posts: 9245
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Oakland Park, FL

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 pm

You act like there are other viable options
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 pm

I will let everyone know to be chill about the frequent death threats though
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby Bob511 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Not carrying a gun for "protection" is a more viable option, yes.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.
User avatar

Bob511
 
Posts: 9245
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Oakland Park, FL

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Sorry that's not fair I know you're not saying that but frankly I don't see beyond the two options of buy a gun or wait to die
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:47 pm

If a) we're not going to pass gun legislation and b) white supremacists aren't going to stop mass murdering then what are the actual options
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby warmjets » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:47 pm

You sound like a paranoid gun owner
User avatar

warmjets
 
Posts: 6499
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 pm
Location: capital city

Postby easy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:47 pm

zorb i’m sorry for what you and those close to you have to endure. it’s bullshit and i’m sorry. but more guns don’t help in these situations
User avatar

easy
does it
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 pm

easy wrote:zorb i’m sorry for what you and those close to you have to endure. it’s bullshit and i’m sorry. but more guns don’t help in these situations


I agree but I empathize with those who have drawn a different conclusion because we're kind of running out of choices here
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby papercup » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 pm

It makes me really fucking angsty that family & friends seem to prefer pretending these things aren't happening
I love internet bullies and Seattlites who like their punk ODOULS Light.....
User avatar

papercup
ok
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 am
Location: vegas

Postby warmjets » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 pm

All part of the NRA's plan
User avatar

warmjets
 
Posts: 6499
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:52 pm
Location: capital city

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 pm

warmjets wrote:You sound like a paranoid gun owner


Dude I literally work at a place getting death threats from the types of people who go ahead and do these shootings sorry if I am not able to be chill about this
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby easy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:51 pm

fuck guns
User avatar

easy
does it
 
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby mcwop23 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:53 pm

wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 83860
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby mcwop23 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:54 pm

“don’t make it political”

except
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
User avatar

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks
 
Posts: 83860
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Postby Bob511 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm not trying to tell you to be chill. That a place of inclusion and education that gets repeated violent threats is infuriating, terrifying, and a failure in which all of us with any social/political/economic capital are complicit to some extent or another, and one which obviously gets born disproportionately.

But adding more guns, especially on a random personal level, to that situation isn't going to do anything but make that more volatile and dangerous, and doing it to assuage a completely understandable dread is a choice that's only going to put other people in the same situation at greater risk. It's just not an "actual option" of any justifiable effect.
Last edited by Bob511 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.
User avatar

Bob511
 
Posts: 9245
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:54 pm
Location: Oakland Park, FL

Postby draw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:58 pm

also 2/3's of gun deaths are suicide
User avatar

draw
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm
Location: THE ILL MIND OF ELTON

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:59 pm

As I said to easy, i agree with you in theory bob, and my bad about the post at the top. But i do empathize with people who have concluded otherwise and honestly i wonder if there are actually other options or if we don't want to face the reality of no coming gun legislation and an increasingly mobilized white supremacist violent reality.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby draw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:20 pm

There are a lot options for solving the social problem of gun violence because the underlying causes are heterogeneous, some combination of drug legalization & increased funding/attention to mental health. The way to personally deal with gun violence is to not buy a gun and otherwise act normal, because in all but a niche set of circumstances the odds of you (anyone reading this) personally actually being a victim of gun violence, let alone white nationalist gun violence, is vanishingly small and warrants no change in your behavior.
User avatar

draw
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm
Location: THE ILL MIND OF ELTON

Postby endless dave » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:24 pm

I mean, frustrating or not, the “other option” is to not buy the thing that will, if ever used, much more likely kill someone they know or themselves than any sort of person threatening them

The idea that a gun will ever be of use in protecting yourself against a violent threat is a major part of the reason we’re here in the first place
User avatar

endless dave
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 pm

i don't think being a victim of white nationalist gun violence is vanishingly small unless you mean like in comparison to 1858 or something. what is the way to personally deal with gun violence?
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 pm

endless dave wrote:I mean, frustrating or not, the “other option” is to not buy the thing that will, if ever used, much more likely kill someone they know or themselves than any sort of person threatening them

The idea that a gun will ever be of use in protecting yourself against a violent threat is a major part of the reason we’re here in the first place


i guess the same question to you as to draw: what is the personal response, then, to white supremacist-motivated mass murder?
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby naturemorte » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:28 pm

grace cathedral park wrote:mass shootings are state-sanctioned violence at this point

Yup
These killings are really more like extreme manifestations of the same logic that drives law enforcement in this country. The actions of this killer are explicitly conceived as a form of deterrence, just as good separation and mass detention are. Trump's refusal to name these killings terrorism, or his administration's refusal to investigate them as such, is not just about playing to his base--it's a tacit acknowledgment that these actions are effectively extrajudicial actions on the part of the state, a la the mass murder taking place in the Philippines under Duterte.
To call it terrorism would be tantamount to calling ICE terrorists--which they 100% are
Last edited by naturemorte on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
User avatar

naturemorte
 
Posts: 6831
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm
Location: maxine's parlour

Postby draw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:32 pm

big zorb wrote:i don't think being a victim of white nationalist gun violence is vanishingly small unless you mean like in comparison to 1858 or something. what is the way to personally deal with gun violence?

There are under 100 extremist-related killings every year. Note I am not at all trying to diminish these tragedies and think we ought to take political measures to reduce their likelihood, but in a country with 320 million people, it's not something almost anyone should worry about personally happening to them. Similar risk assessment is what leads right wingers in the US to get whipped up into a frenzy about being blown up by ISIS or MS13 whatever.
User avatar

draw
 
Posts: 6735
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm
Location: THE ILL MIND OF ELTON

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:35 pm

draw wrote:
big zorb wrote:i don't think being a victim of white nationalist gun violence is vanishingly small unless you mean like in comparison to 1858 or something. what is the way to personally deal with gun violence?

There are under 100 extremist-related killings every year. Note I am not at all trying to diminish these tragedies and think we ought to take political measures to reduce their likelihood, but in a country with 320 million people, it's not something almost anyone should worry about personally happening to them. Similar risk assessment is what leads right wingers in the US to get whipped up into a frenzy about being blown up by ISIS or MS13 whatever.


no it's not the same because isis hasn't really blown up anyone here and ms13 doesn't regularly gun down 10-20 people because of supremacist views

i think you're kind of failing to engage with reality here which is that white supremacists feel increasingly emboldened and this country is doing nothing to stop them

also fuck off, i do have a reason to be personally worried and i also have a reason to be worried about my coworkers
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby palmer eldritch » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:36 pm

you are much more likely to be killed by a car. or your own gun.
User avatar

palmer eldritch
 
Posts: 46482
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:36 pm

also that's a stupid comparison because the right wing response to a perceived isis threat is to establish things like a no-fly list, i am saying i can understand why people feel that their government has failed to protect them from a white supremacist threat. they're literally diametrically opposite responses.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:you are much more likely to be killed by a car. or your own gun.


i don't own either so the threat to kill each one of our staff one by one remains top of the list for me, personally
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar

big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 43869
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby endless dave » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 pm

big zorb wrote:
endless dave wrote:I mean, frustrating or not, the “other option” is to not buy the thing that will, if ever used, much more likely kill someone they know or themselves than any sort of person threatening them

The idea that a gun will ever be of use in protecting yourself against a violent threat is a major part of the reason we’re here in the first place


i guess the same question to you as to draw: what is the personal response, then, to white supremacist-motivated mass murder?


Position your time, energy, and money you’d spend on a gun towards an organization or protest or activists that are working towards other root causes of the problem

Or literally anything else other than benefiting the people and companies profiting from the whole thing
User avatar

endless dave
 
Posts: 5354
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Postby Durham » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:39 pm

Viewed as terrorism and state sanctioned violence on a relatively small scale with the goal of deterrence, the solution presents itself as resistance to change in your behavior while simultaneously addressing the root causes, which is why making it harder to get guns is so important because it further deters what is still statistically minuscule (albeit globally aberrant) chances of white supremacist terror. Arming oneself in retaliation functions much like invading Afghanistan in 2001. It just leads to more violence
User avatar

Durham
 
Posts: 41860
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm
Location: 火車

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Autarch, becky, bill, cartola, Celiac, chimp, concerning, coop, crystal.migraine, dan, deer, draw, endless dave, Feech La Manna, folkface, Franco, fuckles, Future, goldsoundz, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], guidance, haddonfield, hadlex, Hal Jordan, hiddenicon, hired goon, HotFingersClub, hyperbole man, jewels, john plainman 666, KALM, lightfoot, lordofdiapers, mchamartin, mcwop23, mich, Mister Modular, murderhorn, No Good Advice, noiseandpop, normal forest, npc, number none, Oh! Sweet Nuthin', OKterrific, pantsoclock, Phil, Pris, pzadvance, qmass, quadrivium, Ralph Vaughan Williams, REAL BASED SLOB, Render, rich uncle skeleton, Sam Bash, sevenarts, shizaam, sliiimer, surly, sushi x, Tar Pit, techno beats, tgk, That Demon Life, The Sunken Place, trampoline, tricksforchips, trouble, Vacancies, wuk