Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby terminus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:18 am

jenmichaeljarre wrote:She said on her reddit ama that there was a song with Yung Lean and Bladee that didn't make it to the album and i'm so bummed now :(

i want this to leak so bad. she mentioned this a few months ago on insta.

we gotta be normal, we can't be weird

terminus

Postby scrambled » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:45 am

ok 1 - @charlistoilet - what in the hell https://www.instagram.com/charlistoilet/
2- imagine if she just dropped a 90 minute album

scrambled

Postby terminus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am

lmao i didn't even notice "charlistoilet" that sure is an, uh, account i guess

terminus

Postby smartphone » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:20 am

will i like this if i didn't like any of the singles

smartphone

Postby hoopdog » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:24 am

hoopdog
thread skimmer

Postby terminus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 pm

terminus

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm

smartphone wrote:will i like this if i didn't like any of the singles

I've listened a couple of times. Think I like the Charli solo tracks better, but honestly, I wasn't really feeling this album. Hearing like Vroom Vroom or Roll With Me or No Angel and there's nothing on the new one that grabs me like those.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Arturo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm

I really like the album but at the moment there's nothing truly top tier for me i.e. vroom vroom, track 10, dreamer, lipgloss, porsche

Arturo

Postby odilon redon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm

agreed

odilon redon

Postby scrambled » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:13 pm

i get the impulse, but don't really get the value in comparing it to those go-for-broke 'top tier' songs given this final product. she clearly was going for something else. i like that she went a bit different, a bit moodier. like it's crazy that Shake It is on the album instead of the mixtapes. for some context, i for some reason (i think from getting the pre-sale tickets) got her newsletter, in which she says:

Of course, I am so proud of this body of work and I am so happy you can now listen to it in full! This is my most personal album yet. I discuss love, relationships and partying - as usual - but this is the first time I’ve really opened up about my mental health, my insecurities and my need to try and find connections with people whilst at the same time continuing to feel so isolated. Through my friends and my collaborators I’ve found a way to connect and communicate.

like i think that's cool. i'd have been absolutely delighted for an album full of vroom vroom's,etc. but i like that she's evolving her sound and wading in different waters, expanding her form of expression, etc.

i also like that she ends the newsletter with: "The best way to listen to this album is LOUD. Ideally driving in a car at night or at a house party (but really - make sure it’s LOUD)!!!" - even though the album sounds way way way better on headphones than from the car or laptop

anyway i luv her i'll calm down

scrambled

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm

scrambled wrote:i get the impulse, but don't really get the value in comparing it to those go-for-broke 'top tier' songs given this final product. she clearly was going for something else. i like that she went a bit different, a bit moodier.

I think this is a fair comment. I also felt we got the moodier feel with Pop 2. Part of it was my hope in getting an album full of Track 10s, and I get the record company is going to have a hand in singles as this is a "proper" album.

I guess I interacted with her music in terms of pop bangers, so if we weren't going to get a bunch of Track 10s, at least we could get some all-time great bangers, and I just didn't find that with this album.

Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby tricksforchips » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:46 pm

smartphone wrote:will i like this if i didn't like any of the singles

I hated the singles but think the album goes hard and the singles sound much better in the context of the rest of the album. Anyways it's been on repeat at home.

tricksforchips

Postby scrambled » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm

i mean charli looks really fkn cool but i was expecting some more future

troye looks like a 12 years old

scrambled

Postby Ersaph » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:54 pm

I enjoy many songs on this album but if you all really want to hear a fantastic album that rights the wrongs shown here check out Slayyyter's new mixtape <3

Signed, an actual gay
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby Celiac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:27 pm

scrambled wrote:

i mean charli looks really fkn cool but i was expecting some more future

troye looks like a 12 years old

the year is 2099... humans have just discovered jet skis
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby scrambled » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Ersaph wrote:I enjoy many songs on this album but if you all really want to hear a fantastic album that rights the wrongs shown here check out Slayyyter's new mixtape <3

Signed, an actual gay

excited to check that out. rly enjoyed this song below (which seems obviously indebted to charli/pc music) so i am glad to see That Kid is on this mixtape too

scrambled

Postby odilon redon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm

scrambled wrote:i get the impulse, but don't really get the value in comparing it to those go-for-broke 'top tier' songs given this final product. she clearly was going for something else. i like that she went a bit different, a bit moodier. like it's crazy that Shake It is on the album instead of the mixtapes. for some context, i for some reason (i think from getting the pre-sale tickets) got her newsletter, in which she says:

Of course, I am so proud of this body of work and I am so happy you can now listen to it in full! This is my most personal album yet. I discuss love, relationships and partying - as usual - but this is the first time I’ve really opened up about my mental health, my insecurities and my need to try and find connections with people whilst at the same time continuing to feel so isolated. Through my friends and my collaborators I’ve found a way to connect and communicate.

like i think that's cool. i'd have been absolutely delighted for an album full of vroom vroom's,etc. but i like that she's evolving her sound and wading in different waters, expanding her form of expression, etc.

i also like that she ends the newsletter with: "The best way to listen to this album is LOUD. Ideally driving in a car at night or at a house party (but really - make sure it’s LOUD)!!!" - even though the album sounds way way way better on headphones than from the car or laptop

vroom vroom was way more representative of her “expanding her form of expression” though.
nothing on this is any more progressive or different than anything she released previously, this album actually is her trying to finesse that into something with more broad appeal

odilon redon

Postby Ersaph » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:52 pm

odilon redon wrote:
scrambled wrote:i get the impulse, but don't really get the value in comparing it to those go-for-broke 'top tier' songs given this final product. she clearly was going for something else. i like that she went a bit different, a bit moodier. like it's crazy that Shake It is on the album instead of the mixtapes. for some context, i for some reason (i think from getting the pre-sale tickets) got her newsletter, in which she says:

vroom vroom was way more representative of her “expanding her form of expression” though.
nothing on this is any more progressive or different than anything she released previously, this album actually is her trying to finesse that into something with more broad appeal

I know that you went to music school or whatever and you think that gives it credibility to speak to these things but it seems hugely entitled of you to say "vroom vroom was way more representative of "expanding her form of expression." Like, on what basis? How would you know?

If anything the Vroom Vroom EP and subsequent mixtapes felt like a vehicle for PC Music, and this record (which admittedly I don't like us much as the EP/mixtapes) seems like a purer expression of "just Charli" despite the production/collaborators

Maybe we're both wrong, though! I just wouldn't talk about "expanding her form of expression" as this quality that can easily be quantified or understood. Seems like a very heterosexual way of listening to music, which again is maybe what's been annoying me about some of the straight opinions in this thread.

Ersaph

Postby mego » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:12 pm

what's the hpn on troye? i liked Bloom and My My My a lot but couldn't get into the rest of his album. i don't like 1999 much but like 2099 quite a bit.

seems to be there's some troye hate out there is it justified?

mego

Postby Ersaph » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm

mego wrote:what's the hpn on troye? i liked Bloom and My My My a lot but couldn't get into the rest of his album. i don't like 1999 much but like 2099 quite a bit.

seems to be there's some troye hate out there is it justified?

'
Troye sucks. I don't know if any of you listen to the podcast Nymphowars (besides Ash Nerve <3) but here's an unsparing takedown of him in the second episode that goes into why he is a bad gay and incompetent songwriter.

Ersaph

Postby mego » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 pm

this album is a clear #2 on my Charli rankings behind Pop 2 i like it a lot. Other than 1999 the only song i'm not super into is I Don't Wanna Know but i think that's just because of album sequencing with the 4 slower tracks bunched together.

mego

Postby mego » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm

If Troye sucks then why does Charli like working with him then?

mego

Postby mego » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 pm

i'm totally misinformed on all this i've not listened to much of his stuff but from what i hear and read it seems the hate is disproportionate to his output but maybe he's super popular and getting some cred that's unearned which is causing the backlash? or is there something else? is his songwriting incompetent or is he just different and misunderstood?

i read something about his SNL performance which criticised him for looking "too sweaty" which seemed a bit nit-picky to me. and this is coming from me, who is super nit-picky when criticizing

maybe i should give the nymphowars takedown a listen...

mego

Postby odilon redon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Ersaph wrote:
odilon redon wrote:

I know that you went to music school or whatever and you think that gives it credibility to speak to these things but it seems hugely entitled of you to say "vroom vroom was way more representative of "expanding her form of expression." Like, on what basis? How would you know?

If anything the Vroom Vroom EP and subsequent mixtapes felt like a vehicle for PC Music, and this record (which admittedly I don't like us much as the EP/mixtapes) seems like a purer expression of "just Charli" despite the production/collaborators

Maybe we're both wrong, though! I just wouldn't talk about "expanding her form of expression" as this quality that can easily be quantified or understood. Seems like a very heterosexual way of listening to music, which again is maybe what's been annoying me about some of the straight opinions in this thread.

i mean i’m entitled to have an opinion. that song seems like more of a creative breakthrough to me than anything on this, which to me represents her trying to fine tune what she’s already been doing and maybe sanding off some edges, along with some obvious stabs at the big crossover hit like “1999”. that doesn’t seem like that much of a hot take to me but yeah i’m just some dumb guy on the indie message board

odilon redon

Postby scrambled » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

i think i was just going based off her words and her saying this is her most personal album yet and it feels like it - and thus she is expanding her ... content of expression. is that the better word?

that being said, was relistening to like Number 1 Angel, and some of the slow songs could have benefited from a little freakout moment at the end/middle like Blame it On U (or kinda how Track 10 goes haywire at the end - I think Official is gorgeous burt I woulda loved that too). White Mercedes is without a doubt probably my least fav on this. i just hate hearing her sing "I don't deserve you" :(

scrambled

Postby Ersaph » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 pm

I think the verse melody to White Mustang is a rip of "(I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles"

Ersaph

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm

i like "white mercedes" but i think i like it partly bc of the "viva la vida" comparison someone made upthread lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby scrambled » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 pm

chaps xcx

not embedding her interview due to not wanting jimmy fallon's face in this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJG-QaBMx1c - lol the lack of chemistry between her and fallon and the really choppy editing of a 3 minute interview is faaaabulous. he calls her 'pal' at the end

scrambled

Postby France 98 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Fallon is such a fuckhead.

Charli seems like a very level, normal person and so I wonder why she does so many of these early morning shows or late night ones. it ain't her. her internal monologue is like 'you shill.'
France 98

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 pm

wow Fallon interview was lowkey brutal lol
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....