Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:45 am

palmer eldritch wrote:its pretty much not getting covered here because our president doing crimes and the joker movie

yeah

fucking shit planet

Happy and Healthy!

Postby Rumours » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:59 am

here are some pictures that I took this weekend

https://imgur.com/a/6CHM8r6

Rumours

Postby Rumours » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:03 am

feels wrong posting fallout without some accompanying police brutality clips, of which there are incredibly abundant. The take downs have been paramilitary for the past few weeks and are brutal violent up into the point they realize they may be being films (often jostling media out of shooting range).

Rumours

Postby quinine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 am

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby quilty » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 pm

quilty
ok

Postby Rumours » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am

while the world carefully defines who is allowed to disagree to LeBron's comments, things are still are bad here !

Rumours

Postby garbiel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:46 am

Not a surprise. Too much money being saved using chinese sweatshops to anger the Powers that Be.

Unless Hong Kong starts buying dozens of F-35's I don't have a lot of hope for this turning out well for Hong Kong. Shit sucks!

garbiel

Postby danslog » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 pm

my wife who is from Tianjin in mainland china has given me a massively warped perspective on this whole terrible situation

danslog

Postby Det. Bobby Gold » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Are there any boarders living in hong kong right now? I am going for an interview in a week and wanted to ask if it is safe, feel free to pm

edit: it's a skype meeting now, they cancelled my trip (in case anyone finds that info helpful)

Det. Bobby Gold

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 am

Is the protesting dead now due to Corona or likely to just flare up again once people are allowed out?
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Grey Poupon

Postby Rumours » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:28 am

Grey Poupon wrote:Is the protesting dead now due to Corona or likely to just flare up again once people are allowed out?

Dead for the minute, but def feels more on hold to some extent. Will come back on a smaller level when this is over is my guess.

There have been a few protests against the government setting up some COVID isolation patient in Residential housing complexes.

Rumours

Postby Rumours » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 am

It's been weird going through this as an expat living in HK. I'm scared to go through the monster virus thread so I guess I'm gonna just talk about this hear.

I went on vacation to Shanghai on January 25th, CNY when things really kicked off. The city was a ghost town - cold, wet and empty with it's massive scale. By Sunday, I was afraid I was going to get locked down there and it was a struggle to find somewhere open for food (no stove in the hotel obv). I flew back Tuesday and HK was just starting to mobilize. At that time, I was not checked for Temp entering Hong Kong and was only given a Declaration form on the plane THAT NO ONE COLLECTED. I was pretty concerned that things were going to blow up here and HK went pretty full non-enforced lockdown for most of February. I was telling my friends back home about this but it all seemed like a joke on the TL. Maybe my hottest take of the century is that those obviously evil asshole senators weren't truly insider trading about the virus in March if anyone cared about the fact that Asian people had been dying for months at that point.

Overall, HK seemed to avoid the explosion in numbers despite the inflow of people from Mainland at a time where those flights were banned globally. The social distancing and working from home helps but we also have had 98% mask participation. I realize that the West has allocation problems with masks, but from what my local friends say, masks were a big part in overcoming SARs. The memory of SARs was really alive here at the beginning so that was another factor.

With HK expats fleeing Eurpoe and America back home, infections have more than doubled the past two weeks to over 500. Considering the density, this was still better than I expected but people have been outraged as some of those coming back flaunted their tracking bracelets out at LKF last weekend. Within 24 hour, three sets of parents showed up at my center asking if any teachers had been to LKF. Within 72 hours, Carrie Lam had ordered the halt of all alcohol sales at bars and restaurants, effectively closing the former.

Today, she reversed the discussed liquor ban due to backlash but put in place a ban on gathering of more than 4 people for at least two weeks.

Somehow managed to keep my job, which is mostly online teaching now, but this week they announced a 25% reduction in salary :awful:

Rumours

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu May 21, 2020 10:40 pm

Well these moves by China were kinda inevitable huh :(

Nothing like a pandemic to brace the push to strengthen authoritarian rule and save face as a budding hegemon

Grey Poupon

Postby lockheed's old roommate » Thu May 21, 2020 10:48 pm

hong kong will be strangled, taiwan and the south china sea is next. many hong kongers are already trying to immigrate here to the island including famous actor anthony wong, due to his ties to the umbrella protest.

its pretty scary tbh, the chinese are really trying to undermine the entire world and force everyone, with economic coercion, bribes and silencing, to be leashed to their system.

hong kong will probably bleed and burn before its over though :(
jeffrey wrote:
lockheed's old roommate wrote:"up yours children!"

lockheed's old roommate

Postby internethandle » Thu May 21, 2020 11:18 pm

we gotta intervene

we must get don to do an intervention!

internethandle
ok

Postby Rumours » Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 pm

this is bad, to me.

Rumours

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 pm

Yeah this is bad overall

Happy and Healthy!

Postby Getbetter » Tue May 26, 2020 1:30 pm

still bad

Getbetter

Postby murderhorn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 am

murderhorn

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:34 pm

this is fucking terrible but part of me is like well it was inevitable the moment 1997 rolled over and hong kong's liberalism was the product of a colonial empire so I don't know if I can get really upset?

like what's upsetting is that china rather than liberalising has just gotten both stronger and more authoritarian over the last 30 years but the whole world and global markets is to blame for that

sorry for being such a spineless normie

i'm genuinely worried about the next century because china's going to bully the fuck out of everyone but hey hegemon gonna do what hegemon gonna do I guess?

cold war 2 wheee

Grey Poupon

Postby new blood, » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:this is fucking terrible but part of me is like well it was inevitable the moment 1997 rolled over and hong kong's liberalism was the product of a colonial empire so I don't know if I can get really upset?

yeah I'm sure that's how the people of hong kong are feeling as well
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe

new blood,
ok

Postby Rumours » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:this is fucking terrible but part of me is like well it was inevitable the moment 1997 rolled over and hong kong's liberalism was the product of a colonial empire so I don't know if I can get really upset?

fuck off

Cool to know that 7 million peoples autonomy and dreams of self determination isn't upsetting because......people here were colonized? awesome.

Rumours

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Sorry everyone

That post was my poorly phrased way of attempting tof dealbwith the cognitive dissonance of the world going the opposite way I would hope it to

It's fucked but i feel utterly helpless is what I'm trying to say
I'm extremely upset, I don't honestly feel a smug "welp, return to the way things oughta be before England came in"

Sorry for tossing off a post like that I'm just really fucking sad and disempowered about it and I feel like the rest of the world is going to toe the line because of capitalism and globalisation

Grey Poupon

Postby Grey Poupon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:42 pm

Nihilistic pessimism off the cuff essentially which isn't good or productive or healthy for me or anyone else so sorry again

Grey Poupon

Postby black mamba » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 am

Grey Poupon wrote:Nihilistic pessimism off the cuff essentially which isn't good or productive or healthy for me or anyone else so sorry again

black mamba
ok

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....