Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:08 am

DizzyBusiness wrote:Been in a real Molina hole the past few days. Never heard this version before.

Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby cool guy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:07 am

Hugh wrote:I feel like he was all over the place. That dude loved everything from Sabbath to Codeine.

So what do you think your influences were growing up?

I listened to a lot of radio, a lot of AM radio. So whatever would have been on the radio in the '70s I listened to.

Anything that stood out?

No, I mean I listened to like, I remember I really liked '50s, early '60s music. Early rock 'n' roll, I still love that music, but my parents had a great record collection and from the time I was just a little kid I would raid that collection and listen to the things that stand out to this day, the things I still listen to are like Patti Smith, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, you know, they had a really diverse collection -- things like that.

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/jason-molina-magnolia-electric-co

thanks hugh!

cool guy

Postby DizzyBusiness » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Just got an email from Secretly Canadian. A live solo show from 2005 is gonna be officially released soon. Interested in the tracklist...can't find it online.
On a rare day off during Magnolia Electric Co.’s 2005 European tour, a pair of fans in the south of France convinced Jason Molina to abandon the promise of leisure to play a show in an old church in Toulouse. Now, fifteen years later, the result is making its way into the world for the first time via Live at La Chapelle, an 11-track album of Molina’s performance at the former church squatted and converted into a hub for the arts.

Recorded with just a static microphone and a minidisc on June 7th, 2005, in front of a reverent crowd of 200, Live at La Chapelle is aglow with the hushed murmurs and whispers of an engrossed audience, of Molina’s stripped-back performance reverberating to the rafters. The neighbors’ penchant for calling the police with noise complaints meant acoustic shows only, so Molina split the difference and came with his electric guitar, choirboy voice, and Magnolia Electric Co. member Michael Kapinus’ occasionally guesting on trumpet.

The sparse record finally made its way Secretly Canadian in 2014, and six years later, as part of the process of unearthing work from the extensive Molina archive, Live at La Chapelle will finally be widely heard.

Here, Molina remarks some of his canonical work as well as the more obscure, deeper cuts in the special environment of La Chapelle. Nowhere better to hear a solo performance of Jason Molina’s catalog than in a house of worship, a cavernous structure with ceilings nearly high enough to contain the impossible reach a holy, lonesome voice.

https://www.secretlystore.com/live-at-la-chapelle-jason-molina?goal=0_8c25c9ed57-80155a526f-144030145&mc_cid=80155a526f&mc_eid=d8c376dbd9
The backyard is bringing me down.
And the front one is freaking me out.

DizzyBusiness

Postby Drinky » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:30 pm

They’re not going to make this a Secret Society-only thing are they?

Drinky

Postby Hugh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:02 am

Drinky wrote:They’re not going to make this a Secret Society-only thing are they?

that is exactly what they are doing, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/jasonamolina/status/1184469524797710336

Hugh

Postby DizzyBusiness » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

hopefully they'll make it more widely available after the secret society release goes out. I want to say they've done that with other releases in the past.
The backyard is bringing me down.
And the front one is freaking me out.

DizzyBusiness

Postby Hugh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Even if it does eventually get a wider release, putting an exclusivity window on a posthumous release by a beloved artist is still gross AF.

Hugh

Postby Drinky » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:30 pm

I mean it’s not nearly as gross as that crowdfunded carousel documentary thing that never materialized

And slowly milking his archives with deluxe reissues, etc was always kinda borderline anyway

Drinky

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....