Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby glam2deaf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Most of my job is recommending kids bikes online. How tall are they now? What size do they currently ride? And have they grown a bunch recently/do you think they may?

I've found no solid rule of thumb after years of doing it, but don't go too big the kid will hate it is my best advice.

glam2deaf

Postby jbiz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 pm

he’s 51” tall and has grown about 3” in the last year. current bike is a 16” one he’s had since he was 4. guessing a 20” would suffice but wondering how many years it’ll last / how much i should spend

jbiz

Postby southpaw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 pm

I got desperate as hell and went and put in 30 miles in a 39° downpour

Dressed well for it and stayed as comfortable as possible and though I didn't climb any at all I feel like a golden god five hours later

Being addicted to riding bikes for mental health is a sonofabitch but you gotta do what you gotta do

southpaw

Postby glam2deaf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 pm

jbiz wrote:he’s 51” tall and has grown about 3” in the last year. current bike is a 16” one he’s had since he was 4. guessing a 20” would suffice but wondering how many years it’ll last / how much i should spend

Thats a bit of a tough one. 51" is getting towards the upper end of what I would suggest for a 20" comfortably. If you were going to go for a 20" I would suggest spending as little as possible with the expectation that you'll probably need to buy a new one in 12-18 months. He would be just below the 24" range now, but it can vary from brand to brand. Just looking at the Trek guide they say theirs are good from 130cm (51") up. If he's a confident rider the 24 wouldn't feel like too much of a jump. It could be a bit of a stretch to reach at first, but noting unrideable, and with confidence it will be fine to ride. Going to the 24" will give a much longer ride time, so you could justify spending a bit more. Though with Kids bikes there are a lot of unnecessary features added that just add to the price. Suspension I' always iffy about, as it's usually not needed for 99% of riding, and disc brakes are overkill as most kids don't really weigh enough to warrant the extra stopping power.

glam2deaf

Postby shizaam » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm

southpaw wrote:I got desperate as hell and went and put in 30 miles in a 39° downpour

Dressed well for it and stayed as comfortable as possible and though I didn't climb any at all I feel like a golden god five hours later

Being addicted to riding bikes for mental health is a sonofabitch but you gotta do what you gotta do

def not looking forward to the regrettable mid-february sub 32˚ rides i'm certainly going to subject myself to.

shizaam

Postby jbiz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am

glam2deaf wrote:
jbiz wrote:he’s 51” tall and has grown about 3” in the last year. current bike is a 16” one he’s had since he was 4. guessing a 20” would suffice but wondering how many years it’ll last / how much i should spend

Thats a bit of a tough one. 51" is getting towards the upper end of what I would suggest for a 20" comfortably. If you were going to go for a 20" I would suggest spending as little as possible with the expectation that you'll probably need to buy a new one in 12-18 months. He would be just below the 24" range now, but it can vary from brand to brand. Just looking at the Trek guide they say theirs are good from 130cm (51") up. If he's a confident rider the 24 wouldn't feel like too much of a jump. It could be a bit of a stretch to reach at first, but noting unrideable, and with confidence it will be fine to ride. Going to the 24" will give a much longer ride time, so you could justify spending a bit more. Though with Kids bikes there are a lot of unnecessary features added that just add to the price. Suspension I' always iffy about, as it's usually not needed for 99% of riding, and disc brakes are overkill as most kids don't really weigh enough to warrant the extra stopping power.

thank you very much!

jbiz

Postby wolfie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 am

type of bike matters too, right? my kids ride bmx style and they run smaller it seems. like i put a 7.5 y.o. on a 16" bmx and it's fine, but he'd need a 20. your kid is pretty tall tho.... 51" at 7. or maybe mine's short lol

for bmx i bought a couple mongoose bikes off amazon for like $175 and they were fine with the exception of some garbage brake calipers which i had replaced. in retrospect if i knew how much we were going to ride i would have bought them geared bikes and just sucked it up and dropped like the $350 for an rei co-op 7 speed or whatever
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

southpaw wrote:

so this is a thing huh?

because i said to mrs wolfie on multiple occasions now that the bike seems to have an effect ten times better than any medication i've ever seen
אחד

wolfie

Postby brittle » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:01 pm

a good diet makes you feel and look fit, but any form of regular exercise significantly improves your mental well-being as well as lowering your risk for all types of diseases; even after you've grown too old to regularly exercise.

that's why people say the best exercise a human can do is whatever exercise you enjoy doing often.

brittle

Postby wolfie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Well, against all advice I bought the Brooks C17. I figured with the warranty it was worth the gamble.

Well, pay dirt. Because I hopped on and did 20 miles today and by the end I was about as sore as it's usually be after only a few miles. Even if this thing lasts a year it'll be worth the price for the comfort.

So yeah 20 miles. 16 degrees. Half way through I stopped and unzipped the windbreaker and inside my sweat had turned into ice crystals lol
אחד

wolfie

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm

yeah how do y'all keep your feet warm?

It was 38 degrees this morning and I wore my big wool ski socks, but after about 10 min my feet were painful bricks of ice, so much so that I began to worry about frostbite, scurvy, or some other old world malady. Took a shower and a full hour after the ride to regain feeling in a couple of my toes.

I assume there's a good solution for this?

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:24 pm

In 38?
Lol
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby wolfie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:43 pm

I just made sure to wear a heavier shoe with no mesh in the front at all. In this case a pair of Oboz. They're heavy but hey you do what you gotta do
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:44 pm

In a pair of sneakers I would have been dead in 15 minutes
אחד

wolfie

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Building out my Soma and nearly had a heart attack when I realized the fork is designed for QR and the wheels I bought were thru-axle. Might still buy a thru-axle fork but figured out they designed and so bought an insert-adaptor for QR. So I’m going 650b, tubeless, and probably with WTB Horizons.
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:yeah how do y'all keep your feet warm?

It was 38 degrees this morning and I wore my big wool ski socks, but after about 10 min my feet were painful bricks of ice, so much so that I began to worry about frostbite, scurvy, or some other old world malady. Took a shower and a full hour after the ride to regain feeling in a couple of my toes.

I assume there's a good solution for this?

Neoprene shoe covers
dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:In 38?
Lol

yeah I know

My feet run cold I think

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby badhat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:17 pm

45NRTH my dude

(or yeah for 38 degrees wind covers and thicker wool socks are plenty)
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby badhat » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:20 pm

this page has some good bike info

you can google search this thread for lotsa good stuff

https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.p ... start=9180

badhat

Postby Lil Gugger » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 pm

+1 on exterior shell layers when it's real bad out.

I have bad circulation/feeling in my feet from frostbite when I was a kid so my input sucks. A lot of the older hardcore cyclists I know actually buy disposable chemical hand warmer packets and run them in the gloves or boots but I think that is wasteful So i suffer and don't feel bad about ducking in somewhere to warm up if I'm out for more than an hour or two sub freezing.

The chem warmers need oxygen to work well so they can't be stuffed in too tight. Also, you can wear sock and glove layers TOO thick and actually cut circulation off which actually makes things worse. Remember that blood pools in your feet and swells them after an hour or so+

Lil Gugger

Postby Lil Gugger » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm

Best gear trick sub freezing imo is actually ski goggles cause paired with a balaclava you can cut out most wind chill, and it makes a HUGE difference cutting down the amount your eyes water i.e. how much snot pours out and your face feels better.

Lil Gugger

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm

badhat wrote:this page has some good bike info

you can google search this thread for lotsa good stuff

https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.p ... start=9180

yah, this thread got me started on winter gear, been a lifesaver. also, so far this https://www.roadbikerider.com/what-to-w ... weather-2/ has been a fantastic guide

also, swear by these for keeping my neck/head/face warm: https://buffusa.com/

Got about 25 miles in today, slushy loops in the park but 40˚and sunny so it was gorgeous out.

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:08 pm

picked a pair of these up earlier this season and i've ridden through some garbage conditions and they haven't failed me yet https://www.moosejaw.com/product/endura ... e_10318682

shizaam

Postby badhat » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:49 pm

i post this regularly but a lot of experience went into writing it and even though it could use an editor, i think it has a lot of good info.

https://bikefortcollins.org/bike-to-wor ... -commuting

i had been doing a pretty hardcore 25+ mile per day all-weather work commute and training to race in all weather for years, then i got an in-town advocacy job that required a) a lot of short trips and b) more explicit thoughfulness about the cost barriers of utilitarian bicycling. so i wrote this about how that had challenged me to rethink not just my routine but also how i approached encouraging other people to ride in winter.

badhat

Postby shizaam » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:49 pm

I’ve gotta get some fenders

shizaam

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:24 pm

got some neoprene toe covers and some gloves with actual fingers, they helped immensely this AM. Thanks bike thread :D

Also tried out 95 psi (vs 100) and I liked it better, especially descending. So maybe I'll stick with that for a bit.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby brittle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 pm

toe covers, face mask and wool socks are all i ever needed. also wore a thermal base layer, ski gloves, and a down vest i've owned forever.

my commute was only like 7 or 8 miles and i drove when things got below 20 though.

brittle

Postby wolfie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:20 pm

you know what's cool about bikes? the barrier to entry is like 100 bucks.

like even if you're broke as shit you can go ride a bike

that's good to know, cause when you're prophesying doom it's like one cool thing you can hang your hat on even if your life blows up
אחד

wolfie

Postby shizaam » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

got a really nice 55 in yesterday, first time riding in two weeks.

shizaam

Postby brittle » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm

i signed up for flobikes for races last year because i wanted to watch the giro. turns out giro was the ONLY top tier race on the whole calandar. so i accepted that i had just wasted 150 bucks and just watched pirate streams for everything else in 2019.

but it looks like i'll be getting my money's worth for the classics season; they carry pretty much everything.

if anyone else is in streaming purgatory, now would be a good time to sign up because you can get all the spring classics, plus giro in one purchase.

brittle

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....