Chyet

Postby alaska » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 pm

nice sticky
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:45 pm

it was a real cool sticky
it was avalache lily's day off so i didn't stick around for what seemed like a contentious debate around the circumstances that got it stickied
i agree that it will take more than the downticket btw.

I had a post typed out the other night and deleted it, in the 2020 thread, and I think I'll recreate it here. I'm glad I didn't do it there bc I was so optimistic and two hours later the multi-day clusterfuck happened
ad astra per alia porci/death from a dove/and hell is dark

Chyet

Postby Chyet » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:49 pm

but pause bc i need a ciggie then i am writing up a good post

Chyet

Postby saranclaps » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:59 pm

Nithya Raman is running for city council in la and I believe is endorsed by dsa la
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Chyet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:06 am

woops, about to update this in a sec though

Chyet

Postby theta » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:04 am

shark week wrote:i was trying to do this in the elections thread

thx for starting this separate thread chyet

i don't have a ton of familiarity with these people so maybe throwing them up in your OP is not necessary yet but

- i see Albert Lee is doing a primary challenge to Earl Blumenauer in OR-03
- i feel very confident Alex Morse should be on this list (he's for GND, m4All, endorsed by Justice Democrats) for trying to unseat Richard Neal in MA-01
- justice democrats are also backing Jamaal Bowman in NY-16, Jessica Cisneros in TX-28 against known ghoul Henry Cuellar, Morgan Harper in OH-03, Cori Bush in MO-01, Kara Eastman (in her second shot at) in NE-02 and Betsy Sweet for ME-Senate.
- i think Cisneros, Bowman and Morse are probably the most important of those because i think taking out well-establish members of the Dem House is so key. Cuellar, Engel and Neal are the worst of the worst.
- Paula Jean Swearengin is running again in WV for Senate
- Adrienne Bell is taking another shot at TX-14 and Randy Weber
- Adem Bunkeddeko is taking another shot at Yvette Clark in NY-09. i'm not sure how much of an improvement he would be but definitely a primary that is good for the constituents in that district

maybe justice democrats are a bridge too far with their weird (corrupt?) finances, etc idk i vaguely trust them and their picks for candidates. same with brand new congress but still have to be careful about ousting a decent progressive ally in some of these circumstances i'm sure.

seconding these. and what about shahid buttar who is primarying pelosi?

also i keep thinking LoL is league of legends. maybe change the title a bit? i would suggest DON'T GET MAD, DONATE FOR THE DOWNTICKET
big zorb wrote:If you don't have a combination of

A) a need to walk around all the time
B) a real hatred of capital and
C) real bad depression

I don't think I understand you tbh

theta

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Thanks for putting this together Chyet. Is this just 2020 candidates? If so, Lee Carter doesn't count; he won't be up again until 2021.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby Chyet » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:22 pm

I think I caught all the reccs and mistakes, made the title more clear. Will still organize this a little better as I go. Hopefully its something we can share outward in a few days, its a pretty good list!

Chyet

Postby theta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:38 pm

hell yeah

C) real bad depression

theta

Postby theta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:40 pm

i'd also add nabilah islam for ga-07. our local dsa endorsed her

maybe spanky edwards in illinois who is challenging cheri bustos but he's a write-in

C) real bad depression

theta

Postby theta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:40 pm

marie newman il-03, challenging dan lipinski

C) real bad depression

theta

Postby theta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:47 pm

C) real bad depression

theta

Postby Chyet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 pm

ty i added them all and cleaned some stuff up

Chyet

Postby Chyet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 pm

couple notes:

Now that I added Reddit's list there seems to be some candidates vying for the same position.
I'll look into those real soon. If they're both progressive or left I'll find a differentiated factor, if one supports M41 and the other doesn't i'm scrapping one of them.

tried to get some some of the districts in order, there are probably mistakes

I think it would be a good idea to do a rose emoji for DSA candidates too, I know there are a lot of members on the board, but I'm not DSA and some help w/ research would be helpful if you want that

Chyet

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 am

This guy

Al Gross - AK-SEN

belongs under Alaska, not Arkansas.

reversemigraine

Postby Chyet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:28 am

my bad, very cool to see Alaska w/ an entry

Chyet

Postby Chyet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:21 am

one more thing for tonight.
theta's reddit thread(shout out to whoever did that) had links for every candidate. But they weren't in any sort of order. So tonight I ordered them into states and got them into my list. I have the links saved and I will insert them into this OP. I will also at some point do a little vetting and color coding, I added a lot of people I'm unfamiliar w/ tonight. And in the process I'll try to get some tiers. Thinking Green for progressives w/ M4A/GND and a lil rose emoji for the dsa kids

Chyet

Postby Chyet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:21 am

one more thing for tonight.
theta's reddit thread(shout out to whoever did that) had http links for every candidate. But they weren't in any sort of order, so tonight I ordered them into states and got them into my list. I was happy to see they didn't overlap much, our list is hot shit now. I have their links saved and I will insert them into this OP, I also intend to search the twitter handles for any candidate I don't have now. I will also at some point do a little vetting and color coding, I added a lot of people I'm unfamiliar w/ tonight. And in the process I'll try to get some tiers. Thinking Green for progressives w/ M4A/GND and a lil rose emoji for the dsa kids

thanks for the sticky. I don't think I can do early states this year, But maybe I can get this shareable w/ active links in the next week. Seems dorky but we haven't had a downticket leftist conversation yet

look at the list. we should.

Chyet

Postby Bob511 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:26 am

In addition to Manley and Morel, I don't know if it might be of note that Broward County's State Attorney is finally retiring after forty-four years, which leaves the prosecutor's office for roughly two million people without an incumbent. It's a big field, with at least eight Democratic candidates in the primary (the winner of which is pretty much guaranteed the election), but despite Broward's politics I was kind of surprised that at a forum last week only one of them committed to not pursue capital prosecutions, and then again to not use cash bonds for pre-trial detention (in addition to being among the few who emphasized decriminalizing weed possession and sex work and not charging juveniles as adults)

I don't know exactly how to rate his viability, but he did get a shout-out in @Taniel's 2020 overview, and his end-of-year filings had him behind only a couple of the others for number of contributions and unique donors (with the average amount well below theirs), so maybe he's both at least plausible in the race and somewhere where the odd small donations could make a difference.

Joe Kimok / FB / @joekimok
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart

Bob511

Postby werd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:48 pm

how do I parse the op?

I live in California now and registered to vote so I can vote for Bernie, do I automatically vote for anyone on the list that I can? What do the red names mean? I’ve never voted in the states before and am unfamiliar with the process in general

some kind of guide or instructions would be nice
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck

werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby Chyet » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:02 pm

yeah its a work in progress and it will look a lot better soon i promise!

The Red names are the Rose Caucasus. I started that bc I also intend to insert some other identifiers, like Justice Dems, Our Revolution endorsements, DSA association, etc.

Like I said last night, the new list from Reddit is quite large and I will need to review all those names at some point. As of right now I wouldn't blindly vote for anyone on the California list bc there are people running for the same thing and I haven't finished vetting. I think anyone would end up voting really well w/ the list its just not finished yet

Chyet

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:08 pm

werd wrote:how do I parse the op?

I live in California now and registered to vote so I can vote for Bernie, do I automatically vote for anyone on the list that I can? What do the red names mean? I’ve never voted in the states before and am unfamiliar with the process in general

some kind of guide or instructions would be nice

Sounds like you need to start off by figuring out your congressional district. All sorts of online tools can tell you that -- here's the one from 270toWin: https://www.270towin.com/elected-officials/address.php

For federal elections, you have a vote for:
- President: You'll vote for Bernie in the Democratic primary; the eventual Democratic nominee will go up against Trump this November.
- Senator: Each state has two; all voters in the state vote for Senators (i.e., each Senator's "district" is the entire state). Because of the way Senate terms get spaced out, neither of California's Senators are up for reelection this year.
- Representative / "congress[man/woman/person]": Total number for the state determined by population. You only have one representative -- the person who represents your specific congressional district. Identify your congressional district number, then check it against Cheyt's list (districts are listed as "CA-##") to see if anyone promising is running in the primary.

reversemigraine

Postby saranclaps » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:28 pm

you should organize it by state then break down by type of office

ie

california
senate
house
state
county
city
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 pm

werd make sure to check your local races too. ton of not great people in offices like da and such.

saranclaps

Postby theta » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:47 pm

Chyet wrote:I think it would be a good idea to do a rose emoji for DSA candidates too, I know there are a lot of members on the board, but I'm not DSA and some help w/ research would be helpful if you want that

i'd be happy to help with this

C) real bad depression

theta

Postby werd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:32 pm

thanks guys and big thanks to chet for doing this. I realize it’s a lot of work and I’m just a big dumb idiot who’s lived in Canada his whole life and isn’t used to having more than one election at a time

apologies if I came across as whiny or not appreciating what you’re doing here
night moves wrote:I will not be made fun of by someone who watches animes

hologram wrote:basically burn down your local whole foods and punch a cop because the galaxy don't give a fuck

werd
cooler than laserblast

Postby Chyet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:01 pm

hey thnks theta!
I also don't know if there is a Rose emoji that works on the boards if anyone has one or can make one easily lemme know

Chyet

Postby Chyet » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:46 pm

in addition to a rose emoji, something to represent M4A and GND would be helpful in emoji format.

right now i'm going through the candidate's pages. If they explicitly mention these policies, or take the time to not name them but describe them, I assume they are for those policies and will vote that way. If someone is actively avoiding the language and indicates Single Payer or Universal, I put them down for single payer. It sucks that I think some candidates probably support them but can't be so frank. But I decided on these two metrics because they are the focus of the upticket. And while we have loads of meaningful issues they seemed like the two that would give you the quickest snapshot of how on-ticket they are. I have some question marks and will dive deeper into everything that wasn't definitive later

Chyet

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....