So good
delgriffith

Postby mondrary » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:45 am

Alice (dir. Jan Švankmajer, 1988)
amazing

mondrary

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 am

mellowgold wrote:Image

The Driller Killer - my first Abel Ferrara movie! It was OK! I guess i liked it more as a snapshot of 70s NYC! Crazy kids. Going to be watching more of his films in the coming days/weeks tho. Don't rly know what to expect x

Excited to hear what you think of his other films. I’m a big Abel Ferrara fan but I wouldn’t rank The Driller Killer particularly high on my list. Ms. 45 is my favorite. The Addiction is really good too.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:54 am

walt whitman wrote:10. GOODBYE MOMMY - Jack Wedge
extremely my shit. this animated noir film looks like a mashup of Twinsen's Odyssey and blade runner. im obsessed with this kid's punk-artschool style

I saw this at the London Animation Festival last year and also loved it. Hadn't noticed the Little Big Adventure vibe but that was probably a big part of it for me unconsciously

HotFingersClub

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:20 am

ms 45 is such an amazing and economical film. if you're working through his films chronologically you're in for a treat. also, yeah, svankmajer's alice had a big impact on my continued love of animation as a format when i first watched it on netflix in 2010. i miss netflix in 2010.
Family Guy COD And Grand Theft Auto Fan.

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby mellowgold » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:24 am

Yeah that’s what I’m doing! I have like no understanding of him/his movies. Never been exposed to him at all and it’s such a weird gap in my brain so rly excited
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:26 am

pirates of silicon valley is an objectively dumb and soap opera-y film but honestly i'll take any film that depicts steve jobs and bill gates as asshole horny nerds that got lucky instead of Tech Geniuses. gotta say i enjoyed it more this go around than i expected to.

steve jobs is sortof played like randal from clerks in this film and i dunno. i watched this film the very first time it aired. i wouldve been like 8. gotta say i feel blessed that's been the lasting impression of steve jobs i've had in my head throughout my life.

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 am

I fucking LOVE that movie

Used to fall asleep to it every time I came back from a big night of drinking.
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby mellowgold » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 am

The Platform - Truly dumb shit. i loved it! Like someone read Charles Dickens and Samuel Beckett and Orwell and then watched 15 Saw movies and the Human Centipede. It's everything Parasite isn't lol
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby mystery meat » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:03 am

BEST OF MARCH

01 The Face of Another (Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1966)
02 The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1933)
03 With Beauty and Sorrow (Masahiro Shinoda, 1965)
04 Last Hurrah for Chivalry (John Woo, 1979)
05 Angels in the Outfield (Clarence Brown, 1951)
06 Reflections of Evil (Damon Packard, 2002)
07 Story of a Prostitute (Seijun Suzuki, 1965)
08 Mysterious Object at Noon (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2000)
09 Claudine (John Berry, 1974)
10 Goldfinger (Guy Hamilton, 1964)
11 Cranes are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov, 1957)
12 In the Cut (Jane Campion, 2002)
13 Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola, 2006)
14 The Great McGinty (Preston Sturges, 1940)
15 The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Lotte Reiniger, 1926)

WORST OF MARCH

Hoosiers (David Anspaugh, 1986)

mystery meat

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 am

i almost exclusively watched conspiracy documentaries and christian movies in march, i'll go ahead and list my 10 favorites for shits and giggles

1.The Clinton Chronicles
2. Kids And The Occult
3.Hells Bells 2
4. Devil Worship: The Rise of Satanism
5. Law Enforcements Guide To Satanic Cults
6. Dark Secrets:Inside Bohemian Grove
7. The Evolution Conspiracy
8. The Saber
9. 20 Minutes to Go
10. Every Mans Battle

narrative feature films i watched and enjoyed for the first time in march 2020

1. Hardcore
2. Trancers
3. Trancers II

Postby goldsoundz » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 am

fave march first time watches:

the shop around the corner (lubitsch 1940) - wow, instant fave
personal shopper (assayas 2016) - my only complaint was there were moments i felt like i was just looking at a phone screen and not watching a film. they passed though
the florida project (baker 2017)
dawson city: frozen time (carpenter 2016) - such a cool story. there were so many fires in the old days
black orpheus (camus 1959) - this was fun and felt and looked more contemporary than it is. i had little familiarity with the myth beforehand
one sings, the other doesn't (varda 1977)
white material (denis 2009)
auto focus (schrader 2002)
good time (safdie & safdie 2017) - honestly a little underwhelmed. much prefer uncut gems
the wicker man (hardy 1973)

fave march rewatches:

2001 a space odyssey (kubrick 1968) - saw it for a second time in 70mm before the world went to shit. i will continue seeing it every time my local theater plays it
hoop dreams (james 1994) - still the best doc i've ever seen
the royal tenebaums (anderson 2001)
office space (judge 1999)
children of men (cuaron 2006)

worst:

three billboards outside ebbing missouri (mcdonagh 2017) - what on earth. this was horrid. and i liked in bruges!

goldsoundz

Postby lightfoot » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:35 am

first-times:

bringing out the dead (scorsese 1999)
baby boy (singleton 2001)
police story (jackie chan, 1985)
rope (hitchcock 1948)
mad max 2: the road warrior (miller 1981)
the witches of eastwick (miller 1987)

lightfoot

Postby Celiac » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:46 am

first time watches in march (didn't watch many movies)

losing ground (collins 1982)
day for night (truffaut 1973)
the hidden fortress (kurosawa 1958)
princess yang kwei fei (mizoguchi 1955)
a brighter summer day (yang 1991)

i thought all of these were pretty great, brighter summer day was a pretty transcendent experience. one of the best movies i've seen in a long time/ever

i also watched road to roma (clariond & nuncio 2020) which was pretty chill although a bit ridiculous. it is funny to watch directors work because they are strange creatures.
Douglas Jones... He moved like a cobra.

Celiac

Postby Melville » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 am

All the movies I watched in March, ranked:

The Peanut Butter Falcon - it's a cutesy 2000's indy movie a decade late, but it's still great. I dug its heartfelt, hopeful tone, its Huck Finn poor Southern odyssey narrative (and mood), and the contrasting performances from LaBeouf and Gottsagen. I also loved the few joint interviews of them that I read.

Arrietty - loses a bit of the early magic as it goes on, particularly with a forced antagonist. Still good though

Knives Out - pretty fun take on the whodunnit genre

The Platform - no-holds-barred sci-fi allegory. Pretty good

True Romance - Starts strong with the Badlands-esque off-kilter fairytale romance, but it fades as it goes. Maybe Tarantino's stylistic verve would have helped the climactic scene.

Blackhat - Everything in it struck me as ridiculous in a bad way. I just realized I forgot to respond to the poster who helpfully linked a piece on this in the best-of-the-decade thread. Should probably do so.

Melville

Postby drum machine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:23 pm

beau travail (denis, 1999)

blown away by this. not sure how i hadn't seen it until now

drum machine

Postby spix et chicho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:31 pm

the twentieth century, matthew rankin, 2019

this was so great. I was both biased for and against this movie because I know Dan Beirne and Brent Skagford and they're the funniest guys ever and the idea of making a frightening and comedic acid film about Canada's 10th prime minister, William Mackenzie King is hilarious, but was worried from the trailer that the whole aesthetic would be way too Montreal indie twee, but it's really just lovingly done insane Powell & Pressburger / Fritz Lang intersecting with Kids in the Hall, Possession, 1984 (the film), b-horror and exploitation, Gilliam and studio comedies. it's one of the few things i've seen in the last 10 years that can actually be called a 'midnight movie', the tone is perfect and original and it doesn't feel like a pastiche or homage to any one thing except maybe Guy Maddin, which is hard to knock it for as Rankin is from Winnipeg. it's truly Canadian to its core which makes it insane in the way the best insane Canadian films are (Cronenberg, Maddin, Bruce McDonald)
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby brody » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Best of March: All First-Time Views

Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)
M (Lang, 1931)
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Sciamma, 2019)
Funny Face (Donen, 1957)
My Darling Clementine (Ford, 1946)
Nights of Cabiria (Fellini, 1957)
The Handmaiden (Chan-wook, 2016)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Heller, 2018)
The Spy Gone North (Jong-bin, 2018)
Freaks (Browning, 1931)

HM: The American Friend (Wenders, 1977) - Started last night but gf got sleepy towards the end so we're gonna finish tonight. It's great so far though

brody

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:00 pm

brooklyn's spectacle theater & factory 25 are joining together to stream empty metal today at 730pm EST

I saw it last year, thought it was excellent. walt, you did too, right?

Set in the abusive police state of the contemporary United States, EMPTY METAL follows five groups of characters, each emblematic of a different extreme political ideology, as they attempt insurrection against the status quo: a queer noise band is coerced into a dangerous assassination plot by a family of militant Native Americans who are aided by a Rastafarian computer hacker who is old friends with a Buddhist hermit whose son is a local militia leader. This tangled web of marginalized voices is as diverse and contradictory as the nation that spun it, but there is a common thread: all the characters teeter on the dull knife blade that is contemporary American politics, but they refuse to fall right or left. Instead, they lash out from the soul, and under the radar, in an attempt to achieve what their mainstream predecessors have yet to accomplish.

And all the while, the drones are watching...
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 pm

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:i almost exclusively watched conspiracy documentaries and christian movies in march, i'll go ahead and list my 10 favorites for shits and giggles

1.The Clinton Chronicles
2. Kids And The Occult
3.Hells Bells 2
4. Devil Worship: The Rise of Satanism
5. Law Enforcements Guide To Satanic Cults
6. Dark Secrets:Inside Bohemian Grove
7. The Evolution Conspiracy
8. The Saber
9. 20 Minutes to Go
10. Every Mans Battle

narrative feature films i watched and enjoyed for the first time in march 2020

1. Hardcore
2. Trancers
3. Trancers II

love trancers!

palmer eldritch

Postby tricksforchips » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:56 pm

spix et chicho wrote:Image

the twentieth century, matthew rankin, 2019

this was so great. I was both biased for and against this movie because I know Dan Beirne and Brent Skagford and they're the funniest guys ever and the idea of making a frightening and comedic acid film about Canada's 10th prime minister, William Mackenzie King is hilarious, but was worried from the trailer that the whole aesthetic would be way too Montreal indie twee, but it's really just lovingly done insane Powell & Pressburger / Fritz Lang intersecting with Kids in the Hall, Possession, 1984 (the film), b-horror and exploitation, Gilliam and studio comedies. it's one of the few things i've seen in the last 10 years that can actually be called a 'midnight movie', the tone is perfect and original and it doesn't feel like a pastiche or homage to any one thing except maybe Guy Maddin, which is hard to knock it for as Rankin is from Winnipeg. it's truly Canadian to its core which makes it insane in the way the best insane Canadian films are (Cronenberg, Maddin, Bruce McDonald)

At times it felt way too Maddin-esque but I still love this.

tricksforchips

Postby spix et chicho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:02 pm

yeah the rally against the Boers in particular was extremely The Heart Of The World, but it was honestly also thrilling and hilarious in its fascist insanity
Last edited by spix et chicho on Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby walt whitman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:04 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:brooklyn's spectacle theater & factory 25 are joining together to stream empty metal today at 730pm EST

I saw it last year, thought it was excellent. walt, you did too, right?

Set in the abusive police state of the contemporary United States, EMPTY METAL follows five groups of characters, each emblematic of a different extreme political ideology, as they attempt insurrection against the status quo: a queer noise band is coerced into a dangerous assassination plot by a family of militant Native Americans who are aided by a Rastafarian computer hacker who is old friends with a Buddhist hermit whose son is a local militia leader. This tangled web of marginalized voices is as diverse and contradictory as the nation that spun it, but there is a common thread: all the characters teeter on the dull knife blade that is contemporary American politics, but they refuse to fall right or left. Instead, they lash out from the soul, and under the radar, in an attempt to achieve what their mainstream predecessors have yet to accomplish.

And all the while, the drones are watching...

hell yeah!! :twisted: :twisted:
“Short film, Long film, It’s ALL film!” - Walt Whitman

walt whitman

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm

catching up on what I watch recently

The Elegant Life of Mr. Everyman (Okamoto, 1963)

Did not like this one! It's a satirical take on the life of the salaryman or whatever but it just never connected for me and it felt too much like A CHRISTMAS STORY which I hate.

The Killer (Woo, 1989)

I've never actually seen John Woo's HK films. The last third of this is truly unhinged and incredibly violent lol.

how often are you this

palmer eldritch

Postby mondrary » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:29 pm

oh man the killer is so good. are you gonna watch hard boiled?

mondrary

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 pm

in quarantine viewing with a 5-year old, we watched the classics NATIONAL TREASURE and NATIONAL TREASURE 2. the second movie Cage really gets to let loose. then we watched both of the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movies and they held up pretty well. the second one is really funny actually.

we watched THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALL and they let Eli Roth make a family movie? it was ok. Jack Black gets to play Jack Black if he was a warlock that plays saxophone

and also TOY STORY 4. I really dislike the TOY STORY movies and this was not an exception.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:33 pm

mondrary wrote:oh man the killer is so good. are you gonna watch hard boiled?

yeah definitely

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 pm

I rewatched SUICIDE CLUB because I was going to watch NORIKO'S DINNER TABLE next for Sion Sono and since it's related by being a prequel or sequel or tangent or whatever and it's been probably like 15 years since I watched Suicide Club

I forgot most of what happened except for the one thing that really stuck with me all this time which is when the girl is kidnapped and taken to the torture murder den and then the cult leader man breaks out into a glam rock songToggle Spoiler. it's a good and kind of normal J-horror movie up to about that point, it kind of follows from the technology changing society horror vein of RINGU and KAIRO and with a dose of BATTLE ROYALE. but then he veers it off in his own direction at the end and I enjoyed watching it again.

palmer eldritch

Postby inmate » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:05 pm

march top 20:
1. spring breakers (rw)
2. mulholland drive (rw)
3. uncut gems (rw)
4. the wizard of ox (rw)
5. rachel getting married
6. the philadelphia story (rw)
7. tiger king
8. bonnie and clyde (rw)
9. little women (rw)
10. marc maron: end times fun
11. the big sick (rw)
12. under the skin
13. knives out (rw)
14. dawson city, frozen time
15. martin eden
16. love, gilda
17. shane
18. haywire
19. the manchurian candidate
20. swimming to cambodia

great month, really enjoyed all of these. rewatched way more stuff than i normally would because my family has been taking turns picking movies during quarantine

inmate

Postby dvr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:55 pm

Black Coal, Thin Ice
good. cold winter crime mystery

Free and Easy
bleak slow pace small town in the tundra

dvr

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....