Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:lol my poor grandma once told me "i saw this awful movie on tv last night. it was called 'Hosted', and these kids were out dancing and then one of them gets drugged and then wakes up tied to a chair, and they start torturing him!" and i was like "lol gammy did u just watch Hostel?"

she was v offended by the movie not making itself clear what it was right from the start i guess haha
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:37 pm

becky wrote:that makes me wonder if my grandparents saw this. I wouldn't call them film buffs or anything, they just go see movies, seemingly indiscriminately. it's always been a fun point of conversation with them. I'll never forget when my grandma told me they saw Clerks 2.

my in-laws do this all the time, but they just go to see movies because "it got 4 stars in the paper" with reading beyond that

emotional fascism

Postby Althea » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm

I rewatched Midsommar last night and it's just perfect to me. As a person who's initiated and processed life-changing identity issues as well as trauma through repeated ritualistic use of psychedelics, it was enormously resonant and cathartic. Provided they have timely access to modern medicine and medication, I would join this cult in a second.

Luckily I haven't taken drugs with people anywhere near as awful as the American dudes in this movie, but "oh fuck a new person" is the most accurate (and funniest) depiction of psychedelics that I've ever encountered in fiction or non-fiction in any form. I LOVED how that one asshole (Mark?) turned into a scared whiny baby once the drugs came on, after he was acting like a tough guy earlier while pressuring Dani and Christian to take the shrooms.

"How long is the car ride?" "Four hours." followed by vape guy loudly objectifying another Swedish woman off camera was excellent cringe comedy.
The cosmos, sorry (she/her)

Althea

Postby aububs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Althea wrote:"oh fuck a new person" is the most accurate (and funniest) depiction of psychedelics that I've ever encountered in fiction or non-fiction in any form.

yeah it really is
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby tricksforchips » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Yeah this film is still the best depiction of a bad trip there is. Can't think of anything else. Every other film just hams mushrooms up so much -- colors, flying animals, etc.

This is just great. Horizon melting. Things out of place. Time dilation.

If nothing else, it remains that.

tricksforchips

Postby ric_joe » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:57 pm

light rail coyote wrote:yeah that rocks

did they like it?

they did!

ric_joe

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:50 am

saw the DC again in theatres tonight.
god that last sequence with the full volume orchestral score when they're prepping the temple, etc, is so fucking moving.Toggle Spoiler
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 am

Althea wrote:I rewatched Midsommar last night and it's just perfect to me. As a person who's initiated and processed life-changing identity issues as well as trauma through repeated ritualistic use of psychedelics, it was enormously resonant and cathartic. Provided they have timely access to modern medicine and medication, I would join this cult in a second.

Luckily I haven't taken drugs with people anywhere near as awful as the American dudes in this movie, but "oh fuck a new person" is the most accurate (and funniest) depiction of psychedelics that I've ever encountered in fiction or non-fiction in any form. I LOVED how that one asshole (Mark?) turned into a scared whiny baby once the drugs came on, after he was acting like a tough guy earlier while pressuring Dani and Christian to take the shrooms.

"How long is the car ride?" "Four hours." followed by vape guy loudly objectifying another Swedish woman off camera was excellent cringe comedy.
yeah, on rewatch Will Poulter is so great in this.
i love when everyone comes back traumatized from the Attestupa and he's watching some obnoxious video on his phone.Toggle Spoiler
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....