You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wintergreen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 pm

stuttering like hell for me tonight.

wintergreen

Postby high bias » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:39 pm

i’ve been going through the val lewton stuff. i walked with a zombie and the seventh victim were both great. love the atmosphere

high bias

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:06 am

Yes, ...zombie is really quite striking. I liked The Ghost Ship as well, imo, not as good as, but with at least more admirable politics than ... zombie, lol. The Leopard Man I found somewhat of a let down, though I still liked it decently well. It's possible that, by this point, I'm just getting slightly tired of the Newton/Tourneur style, idk.

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:46 am

Here's my incomplete list of good Halloween/horror shit that I've seen on the channel:

House - Indescribably good horror/comedy.
Three Cases of Murder - Especially the first "case" - Wendy Toye directing. The third stars and is co-directed by Orson Welles.
Return to Glennascaul - Spooky! More Orson Welles acting, too.
The Plumber - Horror/comedy from Peter Weir.
The Haunted Strangler - Can't go wrong with Boris Karloff in a role like this.
Mobius - Not horror exactly, but very creepy and maybe the best short I've ever seen.
Premonitions Following an Evil Deed - But this Lynch short is up there too.
The Cremator - Czech new wave horror/comedy with one of the creepiest main characters I've ever seen.
Fry Day - Very good short from Laura Moss.
Spirits of the Dead - Another anthology film. Vadim, Malle, and Fellini, in that order, adapt three Poe stories, the first and third films being great, imo. Malle's is interesting at times but just alright by comparison, I think.
The Devil's Backbone - Another supernatural take on the Spanish civil war from GDT, but this one approaches it from a different angle than PL or at least that's how it seems to me.
Yella - good stuff from Christian Petzold
The Vanishing - Wow, didn't realize this was on here, I used to have this on dvd. I feel like this one is hpn canon by now so maybe I don't really need to highlight it.
Sisters - Ditto here re:being hpn canon already.
The Old Dark House - Didn't love the ending but there is so much great stuff leading up to it.
Jigoku - Truly nuts movie.
And the Whole Sky Fit in the Dead Cow's Eye - Another one that's pushing it in terms of genre, but it's v good.

furrowed brow

Postby Mesh » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:26 am

furrowed brow wrote:Here's my incomplete list of good Halloween/horror shit that I've seen on the channel:

House - Indescribably good horror/comedy.
Three Cases of Murder - Especially the first "case" - Wendy Toye directing. The third stars and is co-directed by Orson Welles.
Return to Glennascaul - Spooky! More Orson Welles acting, too.
The Plumber - Horror/comedy from Peter Weir.
The Haunted Strangler - Can't go wrong with Boris Karloff in a role like this.
Mobius - Not horror exactly, but very creepy and maybe the best short I've ever seen.
Premonitions Following an Evil Deed - But this Lynch short is up there too.
The Cremator - Czech new wave horror/comedy with one of the creepiest main characters I've ever seen.
Fry Day - Very good short from Laura Moss.
Spirits of the Dead - Another anthology film. Vadim, Malle, and Fellini, in that order, adapt three Poe stories, the first and third films being great, imo. Malle's is interesting at times but just alright by comparison, I think.
The Devil's Backbone - Another supernatural take on the Spanish civil war from GDT, but this one approaches it from a different angle than PL or at least that's how it seems to me.
Yella - good stuff from Christian Petzold
The Vanishing - Wow, didn't realize this was on here, I used to have this on dvd. I feel like this one is hpn canon by now so maybe I don't really need to highlight it.
Sisters - Ditto here re:being hpn canon already.
The Old Dark House - Didn't love the ending but there is so much great stuff leading up to it.
Jigoku - Truly nuts movie.
And the Whole Sky Fit in the Dead Cow's Eye - Another one that's pushing it in terms of genre, but it's v good.

The Wicker Man
Eyes Without a Face
Night of the Living Dead
A Scary Time
The Brood
The Spirit of the Beehive
Kuroneko
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell
Haxan
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby a is jump » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:48 am

I accidentally blew through my trial period so I guess I have a year-long subscription to this now.

Been going through the Pre-Code Barbara Stanwyck collection over the past couple of nights. Nothing super phenomenal in there so far, but she is always great to watch and that era of movies usually function as balm for me in late night hours.

a is jump

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....