high maintenance (excellent web series) (tone: sincere)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby wuk » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:03 am

Good opener. I think I caught at least 2 Dominique Dumont songs in there.

wuk

Postby dcm » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:00 am

Where do they get these fucking dogs

dcm

Postby notblues » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:58 am

can't articulate why but this first ep was somehow slightly disappointing, despite being quite joyful. having ira glass was a bit too real for me. i think i was really, in a subtle way blown away by the previous season's opener and i really love the Guy and want more of him.
notblues

Postby galactagogue » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:07 am

yeah same. merging with NPR This American Life style of vignettes and storytelling felt like a facile comparison. I'm sure it was fun or exciting for them to have the opportunity to collab. I just feel like what this show usually does is way more interesting than what NPR does. I still liked the ep but it just felt too similar to and endorsement or product placement or something.
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby Mynx Butticus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:42 am

Very Delilo "We build our lives from this monumental trash heap" closing monologue. Kinda loved that/felt it articulated the thesis of the show pretty well. Agreed that the NPR comparison rang kinda hollow tho.

Mynx Butticus

Postby mellowgold » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:26 am

Episode rules
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby delgriffith » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

galactagogue wrote:yeah same. merging with NPR This American Life style of vignettes and storytelling felt like a facile comparison. I'm sure it was fun or exciting for them to have the opportunity to collab. I just feel like what this show usually does is way more interesting than what NPR does. I still liked the ep but it just felt too similar to and endorsement or product placement or something.

Felt similarly more or less but the show is still an absolute joy and sometimes I feel like it's hard to judge it against its own ridiculously high (lol) standards

I guess another way of putting it is that the Speed Levitch "collaboration" at the end of last season was a lot more beautiful and meaningful to me than a collaboration with Ira Glass

delgriffith

Postby delgriffith » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

Love the dog

delgriffith

Postby Mynx Butticus » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:41 am

Good dog, yes.

Mynx Butticus

Postby sliiimer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:46 am

Any chance someone could db it? I didn’t know this was coming back, happy surprise

sliiimer

Postby nautical hyperblast » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm

suuuuch a good opener. i love this show so much.

nautical hyperblast

Postby building jumper » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:47 pm

This was so good. Still the best show on right now

building jumper

Postby galactagogue » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:00 pm

delgriffith wrote:I guess another way of putting it is that the Speed Levitch "collaboration" at the end of last season was a lot more beautiful and meaningful to me than a collaboration with Ira Glass

100% !
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

Postby jarsilver » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:12 pm

good ep

jarsilver

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 am

Does Ira Glass really talk like an orchestral conductor with his hands like that while he's on the radio
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby lockheed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:suuuuch a good opener. i love this show so much.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby lockheed » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:47 pm

also i emailed speed levitch's sister a few weeks ago about booking a tour most likely this month! not sure when though, but very excited
Nice day if it doesn't rain.

lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby The Producer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Paul wrote:Does Ira Glass really talk like an orchestral conductor with his hands like that while he's on the radio

he was doing it at live shows in 2006-7 it was annoying even with OK Go playing before and after

The Producer

Postby notblues » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 am

galactagogue wrote:yeah same. merging with NPR This American Life style of vignettes and storytelling felt like a facile comparison. I'm sure it was fun or exciting for them to have the opportunity to collab. I just feel like what this show usually does is way more interesting than what NPR does. I still liked the ep but it just felt too similar to and endorsement or product placement or something.

there's a weird playing up to establishment about it or something, which this show has never done. it's always felt so singular. anyway it's a small and very forgivable blunder for me. still rate this best show on tv
notblues

Postby galactagogue » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 am

oh totally, I don't blame them for trying to make it work. it just seemed like NPR relied on them to make them seem cool lol. It woulda been nice to see a darker more risqué side to NPR but we knew that wasn't gonna happen so !

galactagogue

Postby Intersectoid » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 am

they already had public broadcasting superstar Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey guest star ... and how much more risque do you want a production meeting to get than discussing bdsm techniques?

Intersectoid

Postby Flossed Out » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 am

I'm confused. Doesn't This American Life tape in Chicago?
choom gang

Flossed Out

Postby Flossed Out » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 am

They should do an ep with Story Corps
choom gang

Flossed Out

Postby galactagogue » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:10 am

Flossed Out wrote:I'm confused. Doesn't This American Life tape in Chicago?

yea idk why they made that choice. when Ira Glass signs off at the end he says WBEZ Chicago. who knows..

galactagogue

Postby Quixotic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:47 pm

galactagogue wrote:

yea idk why they made that choice. when Ira Glass signs off at the end he says WBEZ Chicago. who knows..

They've been in NYC for the past decade.

I thought it was a good ep! A bit of a strange choice to include TAL rather than just scripting some more 'authentic' NYC style radio show that could have taken its place. I dunno, is it more authentic to just have the real thing? I'll say I did kind of enjoy putting faces to names / voices that I've been listening to for years now.

Quixotic

Postby Flossed Out » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

They could have used Brian Lehrer!
choom gang

Flossed Out

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:17 am

I loved this episode. I hope we see Kim again.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby saranclaps » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:39 am

Quixotic wrote:
galactagogue wrote:

They've been in NYC for the past decade.

I thought it was a good ep! A bit of a strange choice to include TAL rather than just scripting some more 'authentic' NYC style radio show that could have taken its place. I dunno, is it more authentic to just have the real thing? I'll say I did kind of enjoy putting faces to names / voices that I've been listening to for years now.
its not unlikely that this show was inspired by tal or ira was a fan and reached out. I don't think it's that weird—they are on similar narrative wavelengths
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:41 am

galactagogue wrote:oh totally, I don't blame them for trying to make it work. it just seemed like NPR relied on them to make them seem cool lol. It woulda been nice to see a darker more risqué side to NPR but we knew that wasn't gonna happen so !
this american life doesn't have anything to with npr. It's distributed by entirely different entities. (Public radio people are really particular and weird about this)

Also tonight's epsiode was a nice reminder that this is the best show on tv by far

Wonder how they come up with specific character details like the Steven universe thingToggle Spoiler
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby mellowgold » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Second episode is phenomenal

Rebecca Hall
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....