Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Darlene » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 pm

futurist wrote:yall can suggest something better than that because i haven't found it!

Went to Skaf's Lebanese in Glendale last night, it was incredible. I haven't been to Zankou tho so idk, but I've eaten a lotta middle eastern food in my life and this was way up there.
Darlene

Postby feaxfang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:17 pm

Darlene wrote:
futurist wrote:yall can suggest something better than that because i haven't found it!

Went to Skaf's Lebanese in Glendale last night, it was incredible. I haven't been to Zankou tho so idk, but I've eaten a lotta middle eastern food in my life and this was way up there.

Been going to Skaf's for YEARS and it reigns supreme. Also, NoHo > Glendale.
feaxfang

Postby Darlene » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:20 pm

They had the best fried kibbeh i've ever eaten.
Darlene

Postby grace cathedral park » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:24 pm

ASH NERVE wrote:you never have to tap to exit Metro stations. You can just go through the turnstiles.

you do have to tap to get on any bus or train, and you have to tap if you're making any transfer, but you're right in that on many lines there's no gate that forbids you from entering if you haven't tapped.

like Sissy said, it's pretty easy to get away with. I've only had my tap card checked maybe 10-15 times in my 4 years of riding Metro almost every day.

i usually notice it on high volume commuting transfer areas, especially the Red Line stop in North Hollywood. sometimes on the Gold Line too.

my friend bought a monthly senior citizen card for cheaper than regular fare and uses it on everything and it's never been an issue. not exactly advocating it though because i did see someone get stopped for doing that once.

i take Metro so much that it's worth it to me to get the monthly pass, so i have no need to sneak around anymore ;)

back when i would ride the metro i think the police checked our tap cards like every other day
Never knowingly eaten an ass.
grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 pm

Bad Craziness wrote:randomly reading Tenacious D’s Wikipedia and I’m just now learning about Al’s Bar, which was a block away from me. It’s a shitty bougie clothing store now. Feeling kind of depressed.

went once, it was a sketchy place. shows and beer were really cheap though. lot of people seemed to liked it. they might not have even charged a cover most nights
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby futurist » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:25 pm

Darlene wrote:

this looks legit. i never really have a reason to go to glendale but i've heard that's where the good stuff is.
futurist

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:20 pm

http://azlavegan.com/
had amazing ethiopian food (outside of little ethiopia!) recently.
and it's in a kind of weird location which makes it fun.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 pm

rahel, dawg
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 pm

they started doing Ethiopian at this convenient store that used to be a gas station in pasadena, part of me wants to try it but i question the quality/freshness as I've never seen anyone eating in there

love yope food
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby pzadvance » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Los Angeles Cinema Calendar - February 2019

*clockwise from top left: SPACE IS THE PLACE (John Coney, 1974), KILLER OF SHEEP (Charles Burnett, 1978), THE IRON GIANT (Brad Bird, 1999), LETTER FROM SIBERIA (Chris Marker, 1957)

February Highlights:

2/1 - 2/2: Likely the greatest American animation director of our time, Brad Bird, will be stopping by a couple screenings of his work this weekend at the Aero Theatre - The Iron Giant on Friday, and a double feature of both Incredibles films on Saturday. (As a bonus, the Aero will also be showing Ratatouille for free on 2/10, but without Bird in attendance.)

2/2 - 9/14: We don't normally promote gallery openings...but when we do, they're related to exactly what we try and promote here - cinema! Time is Running Out of Time: Experimental Film and Video from the L.A. Rebellion and Today presents early short works of Black filmmakers and video artists in Los Angeles. The show opens Saturday, is on view through September 14, and is presented in conjunction with Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983 on view at The Broad from March 23 to September 1, 2019.

2/4 - 2/27: Don't have a day job but still want to get your cinema on? The New Beverly is launching a brand new Weekday Matinees series this month, showcasing Black Filmmakers each Monday @ 2:00PM (with films like Set it Off and Devil in a Blue Dress), and Hepburn and Tracy films each Wednesday @ 2:00PM (Woman of the Year, Desk Set). A 35mm print for $6? Can't think of a better way to spend a weekday afternoon.

2/5, 2/12: The Skirball Cultural Center will celebrate Black History Month with two excellent entries in the Black Cinema canon: Charles Burnett's Killer of Sheep and Ousmane Sembène's Black Girl, both of which screen for free as part of their Tuesday matinees series.

2/7 - 2/28: Beginning this month and continuing throughout March, the American Cinematheque will be presenting an extensive series of Luchino Visconti's films, including canonical masterpieces like The Leopard and Rocco and His Brothers (next month!), alongside underseen works like his 4-hour epic, Ludwig (on 35mm!). Screenings begin at the Egyptian this month, and expand to the Aero in March.

2/8 - 2/20: This month, the Red Bull Music Festival will be presenting Center Channel - a film program including a number of great films from The Decline of Western Civilization to Wigstock: The Movie, and even Space is the Place with the Sun Ra Arkestra live scoring the film!

2/9 - 2/16: The Secret Movie Club continues its excellent year of programming 35mm midnights and weekend matinees at the Vista Theatre, with new entries in their ongoing Akira Kurosawa and 70s cinema series (Ikiru and Steven Spielberg's Duel, respectively). Also, if you can somehow manage a midnight double feature, they'll be showing Before Sunrise and Before Sunset on the night of Feb 9th, with Before Midnight screening the next weekend on the 16th.

2/13 - 2/22: The Now Instant Image Hall in Highland Park will be showing some rare cinematic treats this month (as is their wont): among many others, keep an eye out for Chantal Akerman's News From Home on the 13th, Chris Marker's Letter From Siberia on the 20th, and Billy Woodberry's Bless Their Little Hearts on the 22nd.

2/15 - 2/17: UCLA Festival of Preservation will take place at the Hammer's Billy Wilder Theater screening a large swath of restored films that span the 1930's to the 1990's, including Hearst Newsreels on various US Presidents, a Laurel and Hardy program, and a Classic Animation program featuring animated films on 16mm and 35mm.

2/15 - 2/21: The Aero will also host an exclusive week-long run of Jean-Luc Godard's latest experimental cinema essay, the first-ever recipient of a "Special Palme d'Or" at Cannes - The Image Book.

2/17: La Collectionneuse and Acropolis Cinema present a double feature of Tsai Ming-Liang films - his latest, Your Face, and the 2009 film Visage at the Downtown Independent.

2/28: To end out the month, the Alex Theatre in Glendale will be showing William Friedkin's masterful 1971 crime thriller, The French Connection, on celluloid!

As always, PM me if you want to be added to the monthly mailing list!
pzadvance

Postby medicore bob dole gimmick » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi all, I have to go to LA for few days. Anyone aware of any good shows or activities Feb 6th, 9th or 10th?
medicore bob dole gimmick

Postby internethandle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:24 am

steve gunn/meg baird/mary lattimore at the teragram ballroom 02/09 should be p good
internethandle
ok

Postby hologram » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 am

i'm going to see JFA at the smell on the 9th
hologram
acid casualty

Postby futurist » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:17 am

if i wanted to get a hotel/motel room just for fun for one or two nights (without breaking the bank) where should i go????
futurist

Postby variegated reality » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Shit I slept on the sun ra arkestra and now it's sold out :(
variegated reality

Postby Oh! Sweet Nuthin' » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:14 pm

futurist wrote:if i wanted to get a hotel/motel room just for fun for one or two nights (without breaking the bank) where should i go????

maybe try this? https://www.hoteltonight.com
Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Postby evan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:
futurist wrote:if i wanted to get a hotel/motel room just for fun for one or two nights (without breaking the bank) where should i go????

I've used that (years ago), but the trick is to call the hotel you're interested in that's advertised and ask them if they'll undercut the app (they get a bigger chunk anyway). It removes the weird restrictions of using the app, too.
evan

Postby futurist » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:43 am

evan wrote:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:

I've used that (years ago), but the trick is to call the hotel you're interested in that's advertised and ask them if they'll undercut the app (they get a bigger chunk anyway). It removes the weird restrictions of using the app, too.

great suggestions, thank u. for my bday this month i wanna hide from all my roommates but still have a nice staycation.
futurist

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm

kind of want to go to Lucha VaVOOM tonight or tmrw

been meaning to go for years but thought it was too pricey, now i only want good tix. says both are sold out but i think the rain will have at least a dozen people listing on craigs
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Darlene » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Anyone else seeing Earth on Monday? Theyre live scoring a silent scandinavian film, im amped.
Darlene

Postby high bias » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:53 pm

yeah i'll be there. pumped
high bias

Postby animefilm » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Welp, I didn't pick up a Tim Hecker ticket, and its sold out now
animefilm

Postby death is my amigo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Darlene wrote:Anyone else seeing Earth on Monday? Theyre live scoring a silent scandinavian film, im amped.

link? this sounds awesome but wouldn't you know it googling for an earth show is tough
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby death is my amigo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm

futurist wrote:
evan wrote:
Oh! Sweet Nuthin' wrote:

great suggestions, thank u. for my bday this month i wanna hide from all my roommates but still have a nice staycation.

i just talked to someone last night who was doing an airbnb in atwater for $50/night, maybe see what's on there
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby high bias » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:55 pm

death is my amigo wrote:
Darlene wrote:Anyone else seeing Earth on Monday? Theyre live scoring a silent scandinavian film, im amped.

link? this sounds awesome but wouldn't you know it googling for an earth show is tough

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/music/events/earth-live-score
high bias

Postby Brouhaha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

that's cool that red bull can sponsor an earth show at the ukrainian culture center
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby Birds vs Worms » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm

That sounds rad. The last time I saw Earth I absolutely fell asleep for most of their show.
Birds vs Worms

Postby futurist » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 am

anyone have a modern romantic dinner spot that has both meat and vegan options and maybe nice wine for only (2) $$ or (3) $$$'s? i still don't know anything in this city besides food trucks and piss bars
futurist

Postby Birds vs Worms » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Anyone going to see Cadence Weapon tonight?
Birds vs Worms

Postby hologram » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:34 pm

at the resident? i wish
hologram
acid casualty

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....