Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby walt whitman » Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm

galactagogue wrote:man a lot of good movies lately. how many of these guys are from the drop?? or where are people watching??

heh nah. im programming a fest this fall, so i get a lot of screeners- but many of the things i post have been out for a while/shown at other 'fests.
walt whitman

Postby Celiac » Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm

naturemorte wrote:see i didn't feel like it even looked that good! There were definitely some lovely moments, but lots of shots where--and i don't know if it was just the presentation in my theater or in the material--it looked like someone just dragged the "shadows" slider in Aftereffects all the way to the right. lots of digital noise and really unnatural detail in the shadows.

There were a couple instances where honestly it sort of felt like one of those interactive “4D” type things you go to at Disney world or something
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby mondrary » Thu May 16, 2019 5:05 pm

i have not seen long day's journey into night so i am sorry to break up the conversation but i would be very grateful if someone were to point me in the direction of this db? i'm not sure if i can pm yet? can i receive them? I don't know.

anyway i'm gonna echo recommendations of apichatpong even though i again have not seen the movie you're all talking about. syndromes and a century is one of my favorite films of all time.

the last movie i watched was public enemies and i thought it was good, undeserving of the trashing it seems to get everywhere else. the action scene that goes through the woods is absolutely incredible in particular.
mondrary

Postby aububs » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 am

mondrary I think you need 200 posts, maybe 250....maybe 500?

you need more posts, and then the world will open up
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby landspeedrecord » Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am

yeah. keep posting, youngblood
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm

fell asleep two times during long day's journey into night. hoping third time's a charm lol
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

looking at screenshots without the leaden acting or cryptic dialogue might be more entertaining, mondrary
walt whitman

Postby Pris » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

galactagogue wrote:man a lot of good movies lately. how many of these guys are from the drop?? or where are people watching??

My main sources

Code: Select all
http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.com/
Mega archive of everything

http://scalisto.blogspot.com/
Somewhat curated, huge archive

https://rarelust.com/
This is a lot of b-movies, exploitation, but also surprisingly a lot of classics. Only downside is a slow download site.
Pris

Postby Repo » Fri May 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Pris wrote:

My main sources

http://hawkmenblues.blogspot.com/
Mega archive of everything

http://scalisto.blogspot.com/
Somewhat curated, huge archive

https://rarelust.com/
This is a lot of b-movies, exploitation, but also surprisingly a lot of classics. Only downside is a slow download site.

also:
http://worldscinema.org/
Repo

Postby carlagain » Fri May 17, 2019 4:00 pm

I was a somewhat disappointed by Long Days Journey too. I think naturemorte has overstated the pastiche a little bit, I think the director does have ideas of his own that he’s built on from the previous movie, which I loved, but it feels like a little bit of an immature work, and that’s why the reference bits stand out as pretty :eyeroll: , especially that shot that rips off the Stalker ending. At the same time though, I just love Art house movies, they make me feel OK. I’m pretty down with the long take and the ending... relishing in the power of cinema is almost always my thing. But by far my biggest problem with the movie is that the protagonist is just not compelling, and it’s so.... hetero. The soundtrack and the narration... pretty bad. Still, I like some of the bits of dialogue and thinking about the movie and movies. Also, subtitles disrupt the illusion of 3D in a pretty big way.
ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time—
carlagain

Postby aububs » Fri May 17, 2019 4:10 pm

murders, deceit, crazed french sex, everyone wearing lagerfeld outfits. i liked it. then i had a smoke in the garden

second image is great but a genuine spoiler

ImageToggle Spoiler
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Milk » Fri May 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Watched Blackhat. By far Michael Mann's worst film. Ridiculous and irredeemable.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Fri May 17, 2019 6:32 pm

aububs wrote:murders, deceit, crazed french sex, everyone wearing lagerfeld outfits. i liked it. then i had a smoke in the garden

second image is great but a genuine spoiler

ImageToggle Spoiler

check out La Femme infidèle if you haven't already.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby mellowgold » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Gloria Bell
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm

i watched Golden Exits and i liked it and Image
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby Celiac » Fri May 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Mg, with all due respect to Gloria Bell, you gotta see another movie!
You are canceled for me. Buh bye.
Celiac

Postby broodstar » Sat May 18, 2019 12:00 am

is this the long day's journey into night slag off thread
broodstar

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 am

Oh man, The Killing (1956) is a goooood movie
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby object » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 am

Milk wrote:Watched Blackhat. By far Michael Mann's worst film. Ridiculous and irredeemable.

I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to see a new film about hacking. I loved Hackers when i was a teenager. I guessed Blackhat would be as you described
object

Postby carlagain » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 am

broodstar wrote:is this the long day's journey into night slag off thread

hey I was trying to be nice
ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time—
carlagain

Postby aububs » Sat May 18, 2019 5:42 am

Milk wrote:check out La Femme infidèle if you haven't already.

i have not, and i will, thanks milk
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Dinosauria We » Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 am

I watched my first Hitchcock movies last night, Rear Window and Psycho. I really loved them both, but especially Rear Window. I've always stayed away from movies of that era for some dumb reason and I have a mind to amend that. I remember seeing Vertigo years ago, but have no recollection of it, so I'll be watching that very soon. What other Hitchcock films are essential? Also anything Hitchcock-adjacent in terms of vibe.

Based on that still alone, I will definitely be seeking out The Killing, too.
Dinosauria We

Postby carlagain » Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 am

The Image Book was a good movie I wanted to say that for a while. cause I watched it with my brother and I never see him
carlagain

Postby Pris » Sat May 18, 2019 7:27 am

Dinosauria We wrote:I watched my first Hitchcock movies last night, Rear Window and Psycho. I really loved them both, but especially Rear Window. I've always stayed away from movies of that era for some dumb reason and I have a mind to amend that. I remember seeing Vertigo years ago, but have no recollection of it, so I'll be watching that very soon. What other Hitchcock films are essential? Also anything Hitchcock-adjacent in terms of vibe.

Based on that still alone, I will definitely be seeking out The Killing, too.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Notorious (1946) and North by Northwest (1959) are three of my favorites. But there's at least a dozen more Hitchcock movies that are also reccomended.

Also: Night of the Hunter (1955), The Pawnbroker (1964), Key Largo (1948), Odd Man Out (1947), Seconds (1966), Rififi (1955), Les Diaboliques & The Wages of Fear (1955 & 1953, Cloutzot is referred to as the French Hitchcock), Touch of Evil (1958)
Pris

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat May 18, 2019 7:49 am

You can really tell how influential The Killing was on basically every heist movie since.

Or maybe it's not the Ur heist, but there's so much good stuff in it
incoherent grunting

Postby A WOMAN IN TROUBLE » Sat May 18, 2019 11:11 am

blackhat rules
A WOMAN IN TROUBLE
ok

Postby nosebleeds » Sat May 18, 2019 11:20 am

A WOMAN IN TROUBLE wrote:blackhat rules
nosebleeds

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Sat May 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Dangerous Liaisons (1988) and Gosford Park (2001) - Both perfectly charming movies until they are not. Ultimately, they're enjoyable but thin, both overlong and overreliant exercises in costuming and setting (despite how much I really enjoyed these aspects). I thought Malkovich being a devious pervert for two hours would be enough for me, but sadly it was not.

I'm gifted and gonna sell sex
Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby aububs » Sat May 18, 2019 7:48 pm

saw this 20 years ago and tbh it didn't make much of an impression. it holds up really, really well. def my favourite movie of hers. soundtrack goes so hard, the cast is stacked, crazily confident debut. that one guy was also in the phantom menace in the same year? ok. my friend thinks wes anderson should owe this movie some royalties, i'm not sure, but i get it

and i like a movie where the mysterious stranger is 5 people

ImageToggle Spoiler
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby furrowed brow » Sat May 18, 2019 7:54 pm

I like Virgin Suicides waaaay better than anything of Wes Anderson's I've seen but Rushmore came out a year before it. I don't really see that much similarity there, in any case.
furrowed brow

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....