You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 am

point blank rules
palmer eldritch

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 am

if you want to do a sick impressionist neo-noir double feature watch point blank and the limey back-to-back
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:50 am

landspeedrecord wrote:if you want to do a sick impressionist neo-noir double feature watch point blank and the limey back-to-back

This is a rad idea
delgriffith

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 am

I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 am

oh shit and if you like Body Heat and Night Moves you gotta see A Flash of Green with Ed Harris. 1950s set Florida newspaper noir. incredible film.
goofjan

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 am

goofjan wrote:I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.

oh shit and if you like Body Heat and Night Moves you gotta see A Flash of Green with Ed Harris. 1950s set Florida newspaper noir. incredible film.

I like the missing person. afaik no other film talks about the idea of someone using 9/11 to vanish/go into hiding, and I thought that was coolToggle Spoiler

never seen a flash of green. thx for the rec
landspeedrecord

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

last night i watched donna haraway's Storytelling for Earthly Survival

it was great to hear her talk and just see her animus but the filming/editing was noticeably weak and amateurish. didn't mind that much though since it meant the motor was the content of her ideas and her kinda manic articulation. a great bed time watch. do wish the visuals were less goofy at certain moments, but i appreciated others lol (see image above)
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby forest design » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:01 am

goofjan wrote:I have a soft spot for The Missing Person with Michael Shannon and Amy Ryan from 2009. It's hyper stylized almost to the point of parody and it has a twist that is so ridiculous it almost works. so it will depend on your tolerance for those aspects. but if you wanna see Michael Shannon act like a 1940s private eye it's pretty damn fun.

You sure that's the title? Not coming up with anything on IMDB.

Also, if you liked Missing Persons I def recommend checking out Buschel's other films. That's the only Noir he's done, but they're all great.
forest design

Postby goofjan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:13 am

I think A Flash of Green was a PBS American Playhouse production. (and I dont know what that means lol.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087267/

oh yeah I'd love to see Buschel's other films. I seem to remember people here recommending Glass Chin.
goofjan

Postby Mesh » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:44 am

landspeedrecord wrote:mesh, what is even the point of making a post like that?

Now I'm not sure. I read futurist like he was saying that that list was not noirs or something. What was he saying, anyways? Sorry?

edit: also "basic" is not pejorative in my world, if that helps
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby iacus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Mesh wrote:

Now I'm not sure. I read futurist like he was saying that that list was not noirs or something. What was he saying, anyways? Sorry?

you didn't say anything wrong mesh, landspeed enjoys playing the scold
(there was a hyperbole)
iacus

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm

well if you pay that much attention to my posts to care, then I must be doing something right
landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm

galactagogue wrote:Image

last night i watched donna haraway's Storytelling for Earthly Survival

it was great to hear her talk and just see her animus but the filming/editing was noticeably weak and amateurish. didn't mind that much though since it meant the motor was the content of her ideas and her kinda manic articulation. a great bed time watch. do wish the visuals were less goofy at certain moments, but i appreciated others lol (see image above)

gosh i love her
walt whitman

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

iacus wrote:
Mesh wrote:

you didn't say anything wrong mesh, landspeed enjoys playing the scold

it's hard not to read basic as derisive over text these days
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:10 pm

alien 3 - thanks db!

arguably best lookin alien since the original & you have to love those gothic fincher vibes

the script is complete dogshit though (5 people worked on it?!) and the voices are inaudible. poorly cast- bsides weaver.

doesnt hold up!
walt whitman

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 pm

the beach bum - MOTY
walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:33 pm

ha really? why'd you like it so much?

I loved the first third, but once it started getting more narrative-heavy I lost interest
landspeedrecord

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm

jonas mekas once said andy warhol's were the "happiest" movies ever, elevating the meaningless and the absurd into art, and generating an innocent, child-like spectator.
harmony korine has been working in that warholian tradition since trash humpers and i'm for it.
walt whitman

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm

I can dig that
landspeedrecord

Postby death is my amigo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:39 am

futurist wrote:what do you like about noir? i feel like that list is more of a "films that made an impact" list.

film noirs are the greatest thing to happen to film but are so often pigeonholed.

i think what i like about noirs is that it's just constant candy and treats. usually visually interesting, snappy dialogue, puzzley plots. but i don't know? i hadn't really thought about til you asked. on a psych level i think there's something very satisfying about conspiracyish plotting spooling order out of chaos that appeals to me as someone whose life is very unstructured.

so of that list i've seen brick, point blank, la confidential, chinatown, the long goodbye, in ascending order of how much i liked them. long goodbye might be outright my favorite movie if that helps, and i still liked brick a lot. in fact my favorite monologue in any of those might be the one at the end of brick. not included on that list but films that scratch the same sort of itch for me are the player, the nice guys, and ocean's eleven, all of which i really love.

bout to watch the limey right now, having just watched point blank :)

landspeedrecord wrote:if you're looking for films that fit the neo-noir subgenre that are not on that list of (mostly seminal, as futurist pointed out) films, there are many of us who would be more than happy to make some recs

yes i would love this. i'll take any and all reccs pleeease -- goofjan, thanks for yours
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby Plainsong » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am

Night Moves (2013)- Kelly Reichardt
Really liked this.
Nightmare Alley (1947)- Edmund Goulding
Real solid noir.
Nouvelle Vague (1990)- Jean-Luc Godard
Really liked this.
Of Human Bondage (1934)- John Cromwell
This ruled, Bette Davis owned this like no one else.
Plainsong

Postby nosebleeds » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am

Back on the subject of neo-noirs, I'd recommend Miller's Crossing and the Outfit.

I saw the Outfit a few years back. It's a mean little movie with Robert Duvall and Joe Don Baker teaming up against the mob.

Oh yeah, Red Rock West with Nic Cage is a good one too.
nosebleeds

Postby Gnarls » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:18 pm

The Underneath is my favorite of the spate of 90s neo-noirs. It looks really good; an aspect of film noir that people love to forget!
Gnarls

Postby deadbass » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 pm

A couple weeks ago I saw Still Walking (2008) for the first time and it has really stuck with me. I think it's one of my favourite movies.

I keep listening to this youtube w/ the cicadas and the film score and dialogue and it really evokes a feeling:
deadbass

Postby death is my amigo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 am

logging recent watches:

kiss kiss bang bang - actually nothing about this movie has aged well. well kilmer and monaghan were fun at least. actually i started typing this as the movie was ending and holy shit this ending. wooooooof

blood simple - hm i would not have put this on a noir list. much more of like a psych thriller/suspense flick to me. didn’t do nearly as much for me as the others i’ve seen since i started this kick, or other coens.

point blank - ruled. a version of this where the lead isn’t some kind of superman would be a pretty ideal watch for me. pissed i watched kkbb tonight instead of the lorry which i have been lead to believe is in this vein

la conf - ruled. weird to see that 90s period look. why did movies look like then? everything is like.... kind of shiny. anyways totally besides the point i loved everything about this movie. maybe i should just revise this kick to ellroy adaptions
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 pm

The Box (Kelly, 2009)

Rewatched The Box cause it's on netflix and I hadn't seen it in years and was wondering, as an unapologetic fan of Richard Kelly, how it holds up. Overall, pretty well, and idk it seems to me like this movie is a strong refutation of the notion that Kelly is a "bad" director who can only make a good movie by accident. Yes someone said that in another thread, I'm not trying to subtweet here, it's something I think is reasonable to wonder aloud. Here he's purposefully restraining himself, but honestly this is probably his most Well Made movie depending on what you think that terminology might mean. Everything is put together well, this isn't Vanilla Sky or something. He runs through what would be a pretty good remake of the twilight zone episode, and then has an hour of runtime to go, so he starts filling in the story with Richard Kelly shit and it's actually a fairly well done spiraling outward even if it likely doesn't make any real sense. Do science fiction movies have to make sense? Would it make them better? It's maybe not a truly great movie, but it's pretty good, I think.

also, the opening scene from Cabin in the Woods

palmer eldritch

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:08 pm

As far as neo noirs go, I highly recommend The Silent Partner if you haven't seen it. An extremely overlooked movie IMO.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby creedence tapes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm

I gotta get in on watching some Richard Kelly movies again asap. Hes popped up a few times recently on here.

Specifically in the lynch thread it reminded me how much he aped him in Donnie darko. When I watched that a couple years ago I picked up on him doing that, which is something I totally missed when I was younger and watched all Kelly’s movies.

So now I’m thinking, damn now that my brains all fucked up from aging maybe I’ll vibe even harder with this idiots movies.
creedence tapes

Postby Mesh » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am

I agree about The Box. Darko Director's Cut showed his weaknesses, Southland had his massive upside, The Box is a perfectly confident, assured storytell.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm

just watched Bisbee '17. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

I knew the premise, thought it would be interesting but a little corny. Instead I was blown away by pretty much everything.
Julius Sumner Miller

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....