Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby furrowed brow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 pm

delgriffith wrote:Somewhere - My first rewatch of this in years and... maybe it's the state I'm in but, masterpiece!

Yeah, I love that movie.

furrowed brow

Postby saranclaps » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:58 am

ash is the purest white - i fell asleep. ymca scene seemed cool.
johhnie to's office - nice set design but a little too broad. also the adr seemed really off in parts. maybe it's better in 3d.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby super gas » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:55 pm

wasn't there two ymca scenes?

super gas

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:26 pm

I watched 'Memories of Murder' last night thanks to this thread and now I'm going incorporate fly-kicking my mates into our day to day

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Celiac » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:33 pm

RT it’s like you didn’t learn the lesson from his arc...
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby saranclaps » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:43 pm

super gas wrote:wasn't there two ymca scenes?
maybe I fell asleep before the second one.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby HotFingersClub » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

I've been catching some showings at the London Film Festival

Maggie (d. Yi Okseop)
Capital Q quirky but also enjoyable and good. Strong Murakami short story vibez

The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea (d. Syllas Tzoumerkas)
Not exactly the wild ride promised by the director in his introduction but intermittently interesting in a sub-Lynchian way. I loved how rude and unreasonable Angeliki Papoulia's character was in every single scene

The Personal History of David Copperfield (d. Armando Iannucci)
I've watched almost everything Iannucci has ever been involved in, and this feels completely out of character. A gentle, feelgood period comedy. Visually and tonally it's unrecognisable as Iannucci but weirdly has the hammy, theatrical quality of every Dev Patel movie I've ever seen. It has charming moments but feels toothless. And we're not meant to be rooting for Uriah Heep in this story, are we?

HotFingersClub

Postby delgriffith » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:26 pm

delgriffith

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:36 pm

i havent watched it in so long... would be a good revisit

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:37 pm

i actually didnt know all that

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Love Is Colder Than Death (Fassbinder, 1969)

It's a little overboard on the nouvelle vague but I ended up liking it a lot. Really impressive as a debut (the Clerks of its time??) every shot is framed perfectly.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Siegel, 1956)

Probably about the third time watching it ... one of the all time greats

palmer eldritch

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Fassbinder was definitely the Kevin Smith of the New German Cinema
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby spix et chicho » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 pm

His close-knit stable of repertory actors... the View Askewniverse of Berlin
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 pm

I agree....

palmer eldritch

Postby Rumours » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 am

Movie Marathon, city lockdown edition:

sAd Astra- Good. Gonna read all the Gray interviews but at least some of this voiceover has to have been forced right? First 20 minutes it seemed especially extraneous. Basically the better interstellar. Made me realize that I like High Life more than I thought strangely enough

Gemini Man- I saw this in 3D and HFR and the combination felt so strange, very much like a "theme park ride" lol. That said the movie itself was fine, but nearly everything about the story feels recycled and derivative. Lee is good at action scenes imo, but the format felt too unnatural in the scenes outside of that.

Joker- I love Phoenix so I expected to have a soft spot for this, but all the calls for it being empty and numb are spot on. The production itself is cosplay of other films obv so really no value in seeing it whatsover.

Ready or Not- Fun light genre fare. Not to pile on to heavy into the Scorcese stuff, but this is the type of ride I enjoy. Brody is decent, give him more work.

Pain and Glory- Affecting. Don't think I've seen Banderas be better.

Rumours

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 am

so i think I'd seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind like 10+ years ago, but didn't remember much outside of some of the imagery

rewatched it this weekend after recently rewatching ET, and man it just did not do much for me. usually spielberg can get me emotionally but this movie just felt like a bunch of stuff happening. some good imagery, performances, and music, but yeah especially right after ET which is one of my fave movies of all time, this just felt OKAY. plus i just saw Jaws for the first time a couple years ago and loved it, so I expected this to be a similar thing
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Celiac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:22 am

Rumors where did you see Gemini Man? It’s my most anticipated movie of the year lol... they even shot it at my old alma mater

Celiac

Postby Rumours » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:51 am

Celiac wrote:Rumors where did you see Gemini Man? It’s my most anticipated movie of the year lol... they even shot it at my old alma mater

Hong Kong 8-)

Rumours

Postby Plainsong » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:29 am

Buchanan Rides Alone (1958)- Budd Boetticher
Really enjoyable western.
Crime Wave (1954)- Andre De Toth
Loved this. Hayden's grizzly performance was great. The on location shooting was pretty striking.
Crime Of Passion (1957)- Gerd Oswald
This was great, the strong performances by Hayden, Stanwyck and Raymond Burr were the main attraction for me.
The Red And The White (1967)- Miklos Jancso
Apart from the stunning cinematography, wasn't all that into this.
Dark Command (1940)- Raoul Walsh
Liked it.
Dark Passage (1947)- Delmer Daves
Liked it.
Darling (1965)- John Schlesinger
Loved this.

Plainsong

Postby deadbass » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm

I saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire a couple nights ago for the Vancouver International Film Festival and had one of the worst audience experiences I've had in a while. I know there are definitely jokes in the movie (although I would say they were the kind you'd smirk at, not laugh), but a lot of members of the audience would snicker every single time the main characters expressed any affection for one another. There was actually someone who got kicked out after laughing uncontrollably at their love scene, but even in spite of him, there was a lot of people who laughed at every kiss, hug, look whatever. It made me feel so gross - anyone in the theatre who knows anything about the movie probably considers themselves an ally if they're seeing it but it really drove home how much latent homophobia there still is, even in supposedly progressive people.

Aside from that, I thought it was a beautiful movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing again in a better setting.

deadbass

Postby Celiac » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Rumours wrote:
Celiac wrote:Rumors where did you see Gemini Man? It’s my most anticipated movie of the year lol... they even shot it at my old alma mater

Hong Kong 8-)

Nice! Ps sorry for Americanizing your username

Celiac

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 pm

The Body Snatcher (Wise, 1945)

Karloff absolutely owns in this flick. really great. a smiling malignancy. top notch bad dude.

Two Men In Manhattan (Melville, 1959)

JPM rewatch #2. One of the more recent ones relatively I think I'd seen of his but it's already been 6 years apparently so. I was really keen on rewatching this one cause it held up well in my mind as fitting in solidly with the new wave (and it does, down to the occasional interjection of soundtrack cues that bombastically cut in and then end while the scene just keeps going) and the disconnect in this movie between the location shooting in New York and the artifice of the sets used in Paris. There's actually more Manhattan here than I remembered though, so the effect isn't quite as constant as I remember. I'm really interested in how this movie came to be actually. Why is this the only movie where Melville decided to star? He's not a bad actor really, but I get that he's not a particularly charismatic lead. Why this plot, about a journalist trying to track a disappeared diplomat in New York? I'd guess it's just an excuse to ramble through American locations and scenes that tickled him. It's a good night time movie, for sure. Not one of his best by any means, but pretty good.

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 pm

The Seventh Curse (Lam Ngai Kai, 1986)

There's an ancient spine sucking skeleton that turns into the xenomorph from Alien and that's probably not the craziest thing going on here.

I like how it kind of flips this switch between being a fairly regular 80's b movie vibe to It's Action Time and then suddenly 30 people are on screen punching and kicking each other frantically while the sound effect guy is jamming on the fight sound buttons and it's got this sugar rush editing, the movie is just screaming at you, it's great.

palmer eldritch

Postby khal yeezus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:23 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:
khal yeezus wrote:In Fabric

AND?!

LOVED IT

khal yeezus

Postby oglop » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 pm

black narcissus (1947) - loved it

tokyo fist (1995) - my least favorite tsukamoto film so far but the city shots looked great, i took a lot of screenshots

oglop

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:29 am

The Sleeping Beast Within (Seijun Suzuki, 1960)

I wrote a while back about the sequel-in-spirit to this, Smashing the 0-Line which shares the thematic element of reporters chasing a drug smuggling story, and was wondering/musing about the division line in Suzuki's work at roughly 1960 between his early, competent noirs and movies with his increasingly experimental stylistic flair. The Sleeping Beast Within was released in April and Smashing the 0-line in June, but they're really miles apart in execution. They just have a completely different tone permeating them. The Sleeping Beast Within fits in well to the Japanese noir category and while it has some occasional bits of playing around it doesn't have the wild fits of editing, occasional odd choices, and nihilistic tone of Smashing the 0-line. He was always, as far as I can tell, very good at shooting a picture; it looks great and it does the best it can with a very mediocre frame of a story that at least has an interesting ending.

I'm also obsessed with Seijun Suzuki Chooses To Center Someone's Back To The Camera In Composition shots

And there's also this

WE LIVE INSIDE A DREAM
Toggle Spoiler

palmer eldritch

Postby soft milk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:37 am

that's a great movie
sarcastic mr. know-it-all

soft milk

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Killer movie
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Celiac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:47 pm

just the best

Celiac

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....